Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bearlock gearbox security

How do you know it’s effective? @Bello above had one fitted and they still took his van. Like any security device you only know if it works if someone tries to steal it - but we hope they act as a deterrent.
we all worry but, genuinely, how many get stolen?
How do you know it’s not effective?

@Bello is the only one of the thousands fitted that we have heard of that have lost their van. Whether it’s the Ghost the BearLock or any other device it’s going to deter the opportunist thief. Combined with other measures, spinning the seat, wheel clamps, steering locks, pedal locks or anything else, you do what you think is best for your own peace of mind. If it still goes then you know you’ve done your best and it’s now down to your insurance.

Still no idea how they managed to steal it from our driveway without us or anyone noticing it. The guy from the insurance company never had experienced it before, according to him a Bearlock is absolutely the best way to protect your car. I think we will get it fitted again on the new bus.
But, police told us; if they want your car, they will get your car, they are professionals. And, living only half an hour from the German border, they took it probably straight away into Germany.
The good news is that we do have a good insurance on our bus, and that we can start looking for a replacement.

I wonder what the % is of Californias stolen , without the keys fitted with a Bearlock , Ghost or nothing.
I think the difference would be miniscule between the 3 groups.

I wonder what the % is of Californias stolen , without the keys fitted with a Bearlock , Ghost or nothing.
I think the difference would be miniscule between the 3 groups.
I haven’t been able to find any stats - it would be nice if there were some. However, I’m aware that the police recommend steering locks which would suggest they have some effect. Regarding the California specifically though, I suspect most thefts are for ‘professional’ as opposed to joy riding reasons which probably narrows the difference as you say. That said I’ve just had my bear Lock fitted and the possibility that it may have some effect gives me a little piece of mind.

I haven’t been able to find any stats - it would be nice if there were some. However, I’m aware that the police recommend steering locks which would suggest they have some effect. Regarding the California specifically though, I suspect most thefts are for ‘professional’ as opposed to joy riding reasons which probably narrows the difference as you say. That said I’ve just had my bear Lock fitted and the possibility that it may have some effect gives me a little piece of mind.
The only info I could find was that £1m worth of caravans, motor homes and campervans were stolen in 2020. Sounds a lot until I went to a dealership recently! Nothing under £25k (caravan) and £45k (motorhome) - most £65k - £115k plus.
So maybe not as many as I first thought.

Back