Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driveway security bollards

treecity

treecity

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Having just ordered almost £57k of Cali, we're looking at getting a security bollard installed on our driveway.

Anyone have any experience of these?

Any advice, suggestions etc?

Txs!

Being our van is used daily it would be a real pain for us, I have noticed a couple of lage motorhomes with them on driveways near us.

Being our van is used daily it would be a real pain for us, I have noticed a couple of lage motorhomes with them on driveways near us.

We have a gate across our drive and shut it every night. Our plan is to put a bollard up in front of gate and drop it when we open gate in morning.

So, just once per day but adding security over night.

Having just ordered almost £57k of Cali, we're looking at getting a security bollard installed on our driveway.

Txs!
Oh yes, i experienced a bollard when I reversed into to one about 11 years ago. My son was 4 at the time and I cursed something terrible out loud that I shouldn't have :mute.
Through quick thinking I managed to convince him I had said "Oh Bollards"

Didn't really get away with it though as when we were feeding the ducks later he started calling the Mallards "Bollard ducks" :shocked

Took some explaining that one did :oops: :mute

? Lock and chain gate

If they want it they will take it no matter what you do.

I couldn't get into a motorcycle dealership one winters morning because the lifting bollard was frozen solid into the ground!

If they want it they will take it no matter what you do.

I couldn't get into a motorcycle dealership one winters morning because the lifting bollard was frozen solid into the ground!

Hear what you're saying! Having said that though, I have had experience of someone trying to break through our kitchen window when we picked up our last new car. Luckily, we had specced up our windows for extra security bolts and they didn't manage to get in.

So, I think all security measures can help but no guarantee.

Our house is alarmed, CCTV next up, the bollard and then the draw-bridge and moat. ;-)

Interesting re the frozen bollard though... that could put me off!

I read an intresting post on another motorhome forum where someone plugged in a wireless baby alarm in their van overnight so they could hear if anyone got into the van.

Iam far more anxious in supermarket car parks than while the Cali is on the drive.
Advise, get the best full camper van insurance available :thumb

I have one in my garage I don't use I will put a picture up later if you are interested.

We got a removable security post off eBay for peanuts and concreted it in. It makes me happy knowing that it is there. I always check I've removed it as the last thing I do before driving off!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Having done nearly £9000 worth of damage to my Cali reversing at 5mile an hour into a small bollard which the reversing system did not pick up I personally have an aversion to bollards of any type and was near hysterical on a ferry last week when the man was getting me to reverse into the dreaded blind spot. Personally I sleep well at night, live in the centre of London and use it everyday.

Txs!

Car insurance?

Hard to beat a good old fashioned steering lock or crook lock.

Oops, I went to look at a local campsite yesterday, took the wrong turning so decided to reverse into someone's driveway....and knocked down their post (which I couldn't easily see cos it was so low)!
Could you be posing potential problems to your friends and family by putting up bollards...they might not be so lucky and might suffer vehicle damage...?!

Ok, so I should have seen it!

If you have wifi & power you can always cover the van with CCTV. I use Y Cam Homemonitor. Works very well. Won't stop at attempt, but may act as a deterrent.