Bearlock gearbox security

Trudi

Trudi

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Has anyone had 1 of these fitted?

Any thoughts?

How much do they cost as no mention of price on the site.

I'd read this thread but as it was quite old I just wondered if there was more update info or experiences.
I'm looking at the ghost too so wanted as much info as possible so can get a good comparison.

I'd read this thread but as it was quite old I just wondered if there was more update info or experiences.
I'm looking at the ghost too so wanted as much info as possible so can get a good comparison.
If you have a bearlock then you are quite likely to have that key with the van keys so if they get the keys they get the van.

Even with the keys, they won't be able to start the van with the Ghost.

Feel free to add to any topic to resurrect it and gain new experience.

Hello Trudi,

This year I thought about to increase the security for the camper. The VW alarm might be good, but certainly not enough.

There where a few options Bearlock or Autowatch Ghost immobilizer. I looked into this and for the Bearlock I couldn't find an installer in Ireland I felt ok with. The Autowatch Ghost immobilizer would have been available in Ireland, but the installers I contacted never got back to me.

I continued my search and came across Pandora Immo. Reading up more about it I started to like it. It is an immobilizer that is based on a tag. As long as the tag is near the camper the engine will start and I can drive off. If the tag is not available the engine will start, but as soon as the camper moves the engines stops. Also there is an hijack mode. There are 2x options for this mode 1.) the engine stalls after 55 seconds (standard) after the tag is gone. The other option is, that the engine stops as soon as a door opens (quite drastic). Settings of the system is done by an app over the phone.

I have it installed for a week and it works quite well. I keep the tag seperate from the key (in case it gets stolen) and it is very seamless. No buttons to press, no key to turn. Start and stop function is not impacted at all.

Maybe you want to have a look at this system.

Happy secure California,
Eberhard

Thanks. I'll look into that 1.
It's a minefield knowing which is the best option.

If you search for ‘Dubventures’ on YouTube, their most recent video details having something like this fitted.

If you have a bearlock then you are quite likely to have that key with the van keys so if they get the keys they get the van.

Even with the keys, they won't be able to start the van with the Ghost.

Feel free to add to any topic to resurrect it and gain new experience.
But if you hide the Bear key inside the van and then this won’t happen. After all you’re probably not going to use the lock all the time.

Have a bearlock fitted, as much as about showing a deterrent with the window stickers Showing it is installed, seems people pinching California’s know the bear lock causes some additional delay and makes the opportunistic theft less likely (I hope). Cost me about £200 to install, apparently the 6.1 is easier to install and so cost less. Will add in an immobiliser at some point but bear lock was a quick addition and easy to use.

I just had a Bearlock fitted to our 6.1 Ocean. I have read other posts about alternatives that are electronic and decided against them because 1) I don't want the electrical system hacked about, especially during the warranty period and 2) I'm an electronics engineer - and big heavy steel bolts beat electronics any time!
I'm very pleased. It's neat and seems very tough. Easy to lock/unlock, which means it will always get used. And yes, I will put the 2 stickers in the windows.

I just had a Bearlock fitted to our 6.1 Ocean. I have read other posts about alternatives that are electronic and decided against them because 1) I don't want the electrical system hacked about, especially during the warranty period and 2) I'm an electronics engineer - and big heavy steel bolts beat electronics any time!
I'm very pleased. It's neat and seems very tough. Easy to lock/unlock, which means it will always get used. And yes, I will put the 2 stickers in the windows.
+1 for Bearlock system

We had the bearlock, very easy to use. But it didn’t prevent our van from being stolen from our driveway, without anyone noticing it.

We had the bearlock, very easy to use. But it didn’t prevent our van from being stolen from our driveway, without anyone noticing it.
With the keys, I hope?

Nope, keys are still in my possession. No idea how they managed. Just happend this night.
Month or so ago, we did find one of the doors wide open at night. With todays knowledge they probably did a research back then, or were disturbed by my son’s homecoming so they couldn’t finish their job.

It’s sad. Loved the van. Don’t want tot look for a new one.

Nope, keys are still in my possession. No idea how they managed. Just happend this night.
Month or so ago, we did find one of the doors wide open at night. With todays knowledge they probably did a research back then, or were disturbed by my son’s homecoming so they couldn’t finish their job.

It’s sad. Loved the van. Don’t want tot look for a new one.
My heartfelt commiserations.

My heartfelt commiserations.
Thanks.
now I’m pondering, do I want a 4 motion again, I don’t like the new dashboard of the newest models, I loved our van, I really don’t want another one! Etc.
And how to prevent it from being stolen again? And if we do take more measures, what will they do next? Break into our house to get the keys? So glad they didn’t do that…
perhaps we should go back to a caravan or tent:confused:

No, that’s not an option either.

Thanks.
now I’m pondering, do I want a 4 motion again, I don’t like the new dashboard of the newest models, I loved our van, I really don’t want another one! Etc.
And how to prevent it from being stolen again? And if we do take more measures, what will they do next? Break into our house to get the keys? So glad they didn’t do that…
perhaps we should go back to a caravan or tent:confused:

No, that’s not an option either.
I sympathise. Personally I just make sure I have good insurance. As you say, if professional car thieves want it they will get it and it may mean increased risks to you or your family if you make it too difficult.

I read this thread with interest and am having a Bearlock fitted next week. My thinking is it adds another layer of security.

I read this thread with interest and am having a Bearlock fitted next week. My thinking is it adds another layer of security.
Our experience from initial enquiry to ordering to fitting was excellent. We are delighted with the Bearlock system it’s simple but very effective.

Our experience from initial enquiry to ordering to fitting was excellent. We are delighted with the Bearlock system it’s simple but very effective.
How do you know it’s effective? @Bello above had one fitted and they still took his van. Like any security device you only know if it works if someone tries to steal it - but we hope they act as a deterrent.
we all worry but, genuinely, how many get stolen?

I was talking to the head guy at Milenco yesterday and he was telling me that the average thief will spend no more than 5 minutes trying to steal something security will not stop them if they are determined it will just buy you time. Try and make it difficult is the only answer if it takes you more than 5 minutes with the right keys etc you stand a better chance of not having it nicked.

Back