Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Automatic Cruise Control

Like Dan, my wife's Golf has it and having used it I wish the our Cali had it. (Annoying thing is she doesn't know how to use it and won't learn!).

With conventional cruise, unless the road is deserted you always end up creeping closer to the car in front. If traffic is heavy it can't be used. With adaptive cruise, it just "adapts" to the speed of the car in front. It's reassuring to know that you won't run into the car in front in a momentary lapse of concentration

I will be ticking that box when/if we change ours. :thumb
I use it constantly. If your creeping up then you just decrease the selected speed or you overtake if you can, and as far as using it in heavy traffic, no problem if the traffic is running at a relatively constant speed. M4 into or out of London would be classed as heavy traffic and I have no problem using Cruise Control there. As far as protecting you from " a momentary lapse of concentration ", sorry , but i do not think that should be a valid reason for ACC. In fact if you are worried about such lapses while driving a 3 ton vehicle then the safest option for other road users would be to get a chauffeur.:thumb

AAAGHHH
Sidepod
Have you not done your driving awareness course
Maby not, because you use cruise controll, and don't speed
Well I have
And they show lots of examples of why you should leave a safe distance...gruesome crash pictures
At 70 mph , if somebody drops in, and you ease back
You arrive at your destination less than a second later
If it happens 10 times, it is still only a couple of seconds
Unless you have a crash , when it could be hours , days , or you might not get there atall,

Let them drop in. CHILL MAN, you are in a holiday veichle
You need to check your dashboard. I think you have a "sense-of-humour-fail" warning light on!

I had tempomat for 7 years and always used it. Every time I was driving on highways somebody was slower or faster and I had to interfere, canceling it or adjusting the speed with buttons. And each time thought that adaptive tempomat could be an insane good idea. Was a bit upset I didn't spec it in current vehicle. But most Asian cars have presets of options and I had to go for a top config in order to get it which was expensive.
So it was a 1st option I've added in Cali.

You could say the same about the DSG gearbox. In my opinion both are great options for a Cali.
Yes I agree wholeheartedly.

Thanks. I love driving but am considering this option and is good to hear a positive from someone who has it. As you say coupling with the DSG is the key.
I fully understand reservations from folks who don't want technology taking over.
Hi Michael; the 'auto' gearbox maximise the automatic nature of the cruise control (at low speeds especially). It is strange using it but I very quickly learned to hand over control to the system. It works perfectly and in fact I found it 'watches' the traffic better than I. J.

I'm a big fan of CC, but not convinced by adaptive type. I don't want to leave braking to the vehicle to decide. Regular CC is a balance I am happy with, personally, and it makes a big difference to tiredness on long journeys because one only needs to position the foot to hit the brake and not have it cocked in a fixed position on the accelerator. I can see why people like ACC, but the braking alertness is not something I want to switch off in myself, personally.

I didn't spec the Acc on my van as at the time of ordering I was worried about 1) it going wrong and costing a fortune to fix 2) it going wrong and slamming on the brakes for no reason. Since then we have collected my Wife's Golf tdi company car with Acc as standard and I'm a bit regretful that I didn't tick the box. It'll work just like standard cruise control except the system uses the brakes to adjust the speed exactly to what's set, you just click it up or down 5mph at a time.

If you lock onto a car in front, you can choose how close to follow and the maximum speed you'd like to travel at. All in all its a great system except for a couple of issues:

1) if you get used to it and attempt to drive another car without it (especially in similar vehicles) you'd better remember to brake!

2) it does have its funny moments - I was pulling past a line of traffic to get into the right lane at a roundabout today and the car started alarming at me that I was too close (front assist) even though I was probably 6 feet away from the nearest car.
Hi Dan just thought I'd mention in case you weren't aware that you can adjust your speed in 1 mph increments.
Resume - 1 mph increase
Set - 1 mph decrease
Not really sure why they set it up like this as its not obvious. Would have thought one press of + or - would be in 1 mph and hold them to go up in 5's.
I didn't realise for ages on a previous VW and thought the cruise control was a bit rubbish having to do it in 5 mph increments and adjusted speed by cancelling using the throttle/coasting and resetting, wasn't ideal.

]You need to check your dashboard. I think you have a "sense-of-humour-fail" warning light on![/QUOTE]
Ha ha, fair enough sidepod,

Hi - just wondering if anyone who has already got their T6 with adaptive cruise control has found whether it includes the speed limiter function that comes with the Mk7 Golf etc? On the Golf the button marked "CNL" in the T6 Cali pictures is a "Mode" control that toggles between ACC and speed limiter. The T6 Cali brochure suggests that standard cruise control includes it, but no mention for ACC. Any info much appreciated - thanks.

Folks,

I have this included on my Cali. I wasn't sure if it would be any good but I have to say its excellent and I can't recommend it highly enough (in case anyone was curious?). We have a DSG and that gets the most out of the function...

Basically when on a motorway all you're left to do is steer...

You set the speed and the Cali automatically speeds up and slows depending on the traffic in front of you...
If someone suddenly pull out in front of you - the Cali slows down (a nice safety feature). Also very handy in slow traffic...

Best regards,
J.
I've got it, it's brilliant.

I had ACC on a manual golf that I had as a hire car in Scotland this week. Very impressed with it, and I didn't realise that it stays engaged when you change gear on a manual. My company mondeo knocks the CC off as soon as you touch the clutch.
It was very strange changing gear without my right foot anywhere near the accelerator, but it worked fine. Will be even better with the DSG on our beach when we collect it.
It worked fine on the motorway and fast A road up the side of Loch Lomond but isn't for the narrower twisty roads where you can't maintain a constant high speed around bends (unless you want to go a lot slower of course)
I think you just need to use a bit of common sense with it - I was approaching a roundabout on a dual carriageway at speed where the queuing traffic was doing probably 20 to my 70 and I let it run with my foot over the brake just to see if it would slow me down but I bottled it before the brakes kicked in and I'm not sure they would have done sufficiently to be honest. But if you know that you are going to have to slow right down anyway then it's no big deal to use the brakes. I believe it can't detect stationary traffic so you will always need to brake if approaching a stationary queue anyway.
OT but VW sales must be through the floor following Emissionsgate. I have had hire cars most weeks for the last 3 years at Glasgow airport and only ever had a VW once until a month ago when I have had one every week since. The hire parking lot is full of them across all the different hire companies, so they are obviously getting good deals from VW at the moment!

I had ACC on a manual golf that I had as a hire car in Scotland this week. Very impressed with it, and I didn't realise that it stays engaged when you change gear on a manual. My company mondeo knocks the CC off as soon as you touch the clutch.
It was very strange changing gear without my right foot anywhere near the accelerator, but it worked fine. Will be even better with the DSG on our beach when we collect it.
It worked fine on the motorway and fast A road up the side of Loch Lomond but isn't for the narrower twisty roads where you can't maintain a constant high speed around bends (unless you want to go a lot slower of course)
I think you just need to use a bit of common sense with it - I was approaching a roundabout on a dual carriageway at speed where the queuing traffic was doing probably 20 to my 70 and I let it run with my foot over the brake just to see if it would slow me down but I bottled it before the brakes kicked in and I'm not sure they would have done sufficiently to be honest. But if you know that you are going to have to slow right down anyway then it's no big deal to use the brakes. I believe it can't detect stationary traffic so you will always need to brake if approaching a stationary queue anyway.
OT but VW sales must be through the floor following Emissionsgate. I have had hire cars most weeks for the last 3 years at Glasgow airport and only ever had a VW once until a month ago when I have had one every week since. The hire parking lot is full of them across all the different hire companies, so they are obviously getting good deals from VW at the moment!

Back