Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Automatic Cruise Control

jason.oneill4

jason.oneill4

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Folks,

I have this included on my Cali. I wasn't sure if it would be any good but I have to say its excellent and I can't recommend it highly enough (in case anyone was curious?). We have a DSG and that gets the most out of the function...

Basically when on a motorway all you're left to do is steer...

You set the speed and the Cali automatically speeds up and slows depending on the traffic in front of you...
If someone suddenly pull out in front of you - the Cali slows down (a nice safety feature). Also very handy in slow traffic...

Best regards,
J.

I'm sure it is very good, but in my humble opinion it's another nail in the coffin of " The Art of Driving ".:thumb

I thought of that (re the art of driving) but I do love my gadgets! Its great on motorways but I woundnt use it on country roads... J.

I thought of that (re the art of driving) but I do love my gadgets! Its great on motorways but I woundnt use it on country roads... J.
Have you tried the " Coast " function? Selected via the MFD.

I'm sure it is very good, but in my humble opinion it's another nail in the coffin of " The Art of Driving ".:thumb

You could say the same about the DSG gearbox. In my opinion both are great options for a Cali.

I was tempted by this option as I can see the benefit in having it especially on the motorway when in traffic with pulsating speed. However I do not feel comfortable giving up control of when the vehicle brakes to computers. I want to be in sole control of the vehicle, I decide when braking is required / appropriate rather than sensors and microchips. It can't be safe relying on this tech to avoid a collision for you and I think the risk is drivers wait for the tech to kick in rather than reacting to a situation instinctively. Also can the system be turned off. I am sure it will work well in most situations but what if a car turns in front of you and the driver can see no action is required but the system emergency brakes and the car behind hits you. I would need a prolonged test drive which simulates unusual events on the road to be convinced and I don't believe such a test drive exists.

Not in favor of cruise control eighter , never had it on any of my cars but drove with other cars having it and it felt strange not having full control.
Guess one you get used to the handling of the system it could be ok , but on my side i feel more in control with the foot on the pedal...

There is nothing to stop the driver being in full control.

I have had it on all my cars for the last 15 years and never felt as though I was surrendering control to the vehicle. It's simply there to enable you to twitch a little less, just the same as an automatic gearbox, self-cancelling trafficators, reflex seatbelts and all sorts of other gadgets that come along to take a little bit of work out of the job.

One of my Sisters, who ever so occasionally gets in a car, could not believe that bit's of a modern car are made of plastic (surely that can't be as good as metal) and looked for the ejector seat button when I clicked on basic cruise control to allow Albert to trundle along all by itself (you are letting the car drive you?? What if the traffic stops?)....

As many discusions , this is all personal favors....
At the end we should do wathever feels best form your own point of view .
I like my trottle controlled by foot....an other maybe by tipping a finger on the steeringwheel .
It is what we carry behind the front seats what realy mathers....:D

I find it very useful in those average speed check roadworks (anyone been up or down the M3 recently!), especially if traffic is light when it's all to easy in modern quiet vehicles for the speed to creep up . On a vehicle that is ideally suited to long distance cruising I wouldn't be without it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Folks,

I have this included on my Cali. I wasn't sure if it would be any good but I have to say its excellent and I can't recommend it highly enough (in case anyone was curious?). We have a DSG and that gets the most out of the function...

You set the speed and the Cali automatically speeds up and slows depending on the traffic in front of you...
If someone suddenly pull out in front of you - the Cali slows down (a nice safety feature). Also very handy in slow traffic...

Best regards,
J.
I like the sound of that Jason, glad it works as well as it is meant to. I am slightly jealous.

The next step for me would be a cruise controll that got the speed limit from the sat nav, and set to that.
Then the radar to stop you hitting a slowe car,
And the usual ability to override with break or accelerator.

You could say the same about the DSG gearbox. In my opinion both are great options for a Cali.
More to play around with the DSG, Auto, Sports Mode and Manual as well as the Coast function.

I want to be in sole control of the vehicle, I decide when braking is required
Did you disable supplied ABS? ESP?
The purest driving is by bicycle. And the most natural is walking where you have 100% in control ;)

Folks,

Best regards,
J.
Thanks. I love driving but am considering this option and is good to hear a positive from someone who has it. As you say coupling with the DSG is the key.
I fully understand reservations from folks who don't want technology taking over.

Folks,

Best regards,
J.
Do you not spend the whole trip going backwards? You know what motorway traffic is like, leave a gap and a tw*t will fill it. Result, Cali opens up another for another tw*t to fill.
Is there a 'bumper-on-the-tow-bar-in-front' setting?

Pod

AAAGHHH
Sidepod
Have you not done your driving awareness course
Maby not, because you use cruise controll, and don't speed
Well I have
And they show lots of examples of why you should leave a safe distance...gruesome crash pictures
At 70 mph , if somebody drops in, and you ease back
You arrive at your destination less than a second later
If it happens 10 times, it is still only a couple of seconds
Unless you have a crash , when it could be hours , days , or you might not get there atall,

Let them drop in. CHILL MAN, you are in a holiday veichle

Cruise control rocks! Adaptive cruise control looks to be great - I've ordered it too.

I use cruise on the motorway all the time, meaning I can ensure I don't speed (too much), inadvertently. In average speed areas, it is worth its weight in gold! It means I can focus on the cars in front of me, instead of my speedometer. Also use it all the time when towing the caravan; I wouldn't keep to 60mph without it.

If adaptive cruise control gives me those same benefits AND ensures a safe distance from the vehicle in front, which is essentially the difference, then what is there not to love?

As for taking something away from driving, you can always turn it off. It's a helpful tool and nothing more but, in saying that, don't doubt that those cameras, sensors and processors are more capable than you. They never tire, can see in the dark and assess everything around the van hundreds of times a second. I don't mind putting my faith in that.

Thanks. I love driving but am considering this option and is good to hear a positive from someone who has it. As you say coupling with the DSG is the key.
I fully understand reservations from folks who don't want technology taking over.

I didn't spec the Acc on my van as at the time of ordering I was worried about 1) it going wrong and costing a fortune to fix 2) it going wrong and slamming on the brakes for no reason. Since then we have collected my Wife's Golf tdi company car with Acc as standard and I'm a bit regretful that I didn't tick the box. It'll work just like standard cruise control except the system uses the brakes to adjust the speed exactly to what's set, you just click it up or down 5mph at a time.

If you lock onto a car in front, you can choose how close to follow and the maximum speed you'd like to travel at. All in all its a great system except for a couple of issues:

1) if you get used to it and attempt to drive another car without it (especially in similar vehicles) you'd better remember to brake!

2) it does have its funny moments - I was pulling past a line of traffic to get into the right lane at a roundabout today and the car started alarming at me that I was too close (front assist) even though I was probably 6 feet away from the nearest car.

I didn't spec the Acc on my van as at the time of ordering I was worried about 1) it going wrong and costing a fortune to fix 2) it going wrong and slamming on the brakes for no reason. Since then we have collected my Wife's Golf tdi company car with Acc as standard and I'm a bit regretful that I didn't tick the box. It'll work just like standard cruise control except the system uses the brakes to adjust the speed exactly to what's set, you just click it up or down 5mph at a time.

If you lock onto a car in front, you can choose how close to follow and the maximum speed you'd like to travel at. All in all its a great system except for a couple of issues:

1) if you get used to it and attempt to drive another car without it (especially in similar vehicles) you'd better remember to brake!

2) it does have its funny moments - I was pulling past a line of traffic to get into the right lane at a roundabout today and the car started alarming at me that I was too close (front assist) even though I was probably 6 feet away from the nearest car.
Thanks for the feedback Dan :)

Did you disable supplied ABS? ESP?
The purest driving is by bicycle. And the most natural is walking where you have 100% in control ;)

Or running,

And 12 months ago I was crashed into by some old fart driving a motor home

Or running,

And 12 months ago I was crashed into by some old fart driving a motor home
Gen, That's a couple of times you've mentioned running and I've stopped myself from thread hi-jacking. I think last one was when you were attending an assessment in London. We shall meet sometime and discuss. I re-taught myself late in life and I'm obsessed with running technique. One for the future :)
I will take this opportunity for a quick charity plug. See below, guy is very genuine and his coach is a friend of mine.

http://www.400400challenge.co.uk

Apologies for continuing thread hijack but ...

My running technique is awful. It's mostly run, wheeze, stop, walk .... repeat the cycle. I run because, like many who have lived with the Big C, I am just so happy to be alive and so happy to be given a chance to be fit again.

Like Dan, my wife's Golf has it and having used it I wish the our Cali had it. (Annoying thing is she doesn't know how to use it and won't learn!).

With conventional cruise, unless the road is deserted you always end up creeping closer to the car in front. If traffic is heavy it can't be used. With adaptive cruise, it just "adapts" to the speed of the car in front. It's reassuring to know that you won't run into the car in front in a momentary lapse of concentration

I will be ticking that box when/if we change ours. :thumb

Apologies for continuing thread hijack but ...

My running technique is awful. It's mostly run, wheeze, stop, walk .... repeat the cycle. I run because, like many who have lived with the Big C, I am just so happy to be alive and so happy to be given a chance to be fit again.
It is the best reason to run.

Back