Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"You and your daft campervans"

It's too difficult to understand from a far whether they felt they had your best interest at heart but the way it came over would suggest otherwise. Anyway even if that is what they felt, you have made a lifestyle choice that is entirely your decision (and we know how hard that was) and it sounds like you are already engaged in fulfilling it. Something some people will never understand. Each time you all raise a smile on trips in the van will be priceless.

Does he have any pics as good as that of his vehicle...?
;)

As a response to your friend think you should share this thread, haha

When he asks if he can borrow the Cali you know the answer..NO WAY :)

you should save your money for the kids when there older, and now you've spent all your money on a daft campervan"
I agree, you shouldn’t spend money on daft campervans or anything else when your kids are starving, barefoot and dressed in rags! ;)

Somehow I don’t think that is the case here! :D

My father didn’t save his money for me when I was a kid for when I was older, nor do I think he should have. He spent it on a motorbike when I was young and took us camping in the sidecar. I’m grateful for the memories! :thumb

I’m guessing your friend probably doesn’t realise what a sensible and useful vehicle the California is. Don’t worry about it too much, he’ll come around.

Some amazing wisdom being shared on this thread. Thank you all!!! :thanks

The fact is that more than likely many people will feel like your mate. Don’t worry.
You and your family now have the opportunity to make happy memories that will last for ever and that’s all that matters. Enjoy it - because one day your children will look back and thank you for it.

So Got a Cali, (very very excited). Everyone loves it, friends and family but a very good friend of mine has said "why have you done this, you should save your money for the kids when there older, and now you've spent all your money on a daft campervan"

Is it Daft? Are we daft?

Not going to lie, it burnt inside a little when he said that, i had to calmly put the phone down and end "got to go fela, kids calling" :rage

Please feel free to leave what i should reply with via text :thumb

I feel he has insulted Little Robin (my cali name) and little Robin must now defend itself against the haters :punch

We have camped in all types of tent then a caravan. I used to feel sorry for people stuck in little campervans. But now we have one I TOTALLY GET IT! Ignorance is not bliss just a lack of education. Let's keep our secret.

Loads of good, well thought out points made....but I’d still call him a chump.

It's a lifestyle full of memories to be cherished for ever. You can't put a price on that. One life - live it and it's a journey not a destination

In the UK, children, if they are so inclined, can have their university paid for. Yes, I know, they have to pay it back eventually unless they have chosen to read Media type degrees. They'll rarely have to pay it back then. I firmly do not believe in parental free handouts for "whatever." Children need to learn hard work pays off and the reward is to know; "I earned it myself and now it's mine to treasure."
So Got a Cali, (very very excited). Everyone loves it, friends and family but a very good friend of mine has said "why have you done this, you should save your money for the kids when there older, and now you've spent all your money on a daft campervan"

Is it Daft? Are we daft?

Not going to lie, it burnt inside a little when he said that, i had to calmly put the phone down and end "got to go fela, kids calling" :rage

Please feel free to leave what i should reply with via text :thumb

I feel he has insulted Little Robin (my cali name) and little Robin must now defend itself against the haters :punch

He’s probably just jealous enjoy the outdoors with your family while your friend gets on with his life ...I know who I’d rather be....

Since when was the rule you worked all your life to give money to your kids? They'll get the house And the van if you die. Other than that they should go out and earn their own way in life. Like I suspect most of us here have done. Now where's that brandrup catalogue?

Truth be told, maybe you should check that internal compass and define friends. Some are just "people you know". Keep rockin' and go full on Cali if that's what you think is best.

Mark
Sympathise with how your feeling. TBH I don’t think anyone apart from fellow Cali enthusiasts get owning a Cali.
I was in two minds for a bit as everyone even my grown up kids said I was mad spending so much on a “van”.
Only my wife really understands - ultimately it’s a lifestyle a stress reducer etc.
My advice don’t worry what anyone says (apart from your Mrs of course)
:thumb

Back