Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"You and your daft campervans"

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So Got a Cali, (very very excited). Everyone loves it, friends and family but a very good friend of mine has said "why have you done this, you should save your money for the kids when there older, and now you've spent all your money on a daft campervan"

Is it Daft? Are we daft?

Not going to lie, it burnt inside a little when he said that, i had to calmly put the phone down and end "got to go fela, kids calling" :rage

Please feel free to leave what i should reply with via text :thumb

I feel he has insulted Little Robin (my cali name) and little Robin must now defend itself against the haters :punch

Just think of the adventures your kids are going to have, memories and character building stuff, priceless.
True, i completely agree and thats why i got one, Isn't that why we are put this earth for. To enjoy as much as possible and make lovely happy memories!

If they are paying for any kind of vehicle you can almost guarantee they will be losing more money than you are in depreciation. Most people think nothing of losing thousands a year on a car, so why is a van that holds its value better somehow worse?

They aren't cheap but they are an aide to a lifestyle that is truly wonderful and your family will have rich experiences because of it.

2 years down the line, you could sell and will have probably lost less than anyone with a relatively new car.

Hold your head high, ignore them and enjoy :) their comment is purely from a place of not knowing the facts.

In fact some folks have used them for a year and sold on without losing anything significant.

My beach was worth more than I paid for it for the 1st 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are paying for any kind of vehicle you can almost guarantee they will be losing more money than you are in depreciation. Most people think nothing of losing thousands a year on a car, so why is a van that holds its value better somehow worse?

They aren't cheap but they are an aide to a lifestyle that is truly wonderful and your family will have rich experiences because of it.

2 years down the line, you could sell and will have probably lost less than anyone with a relatively new car.

Hold your head high, ignore them and enjoy :) their comment is purely from a place of not knowing the facts.
Very Wise words Matt. I am picturing you replying to this sat in your Cali on top of some mountain somewhere sat next to the other choosen Jedi Cali Gurus, 'The Wise Ones'. :thumb

I can’t tell you how much having Camp Dave has enriched our children’s lives.

Seems silly to think that your money is simply your children’s inheritance- no one can or should live like that.

Text would go something like this:
‘You’re entitled to your opinion but you are an idiot. Enjoy your normal car you chump.’

I can’t tell you how much having Camp Dave has enriched our children’s lives.

Seems silly to think that your money is simply your children’s inheritance- no one can or should live like that.

Text would go something like this:
‘You’re entitled to your opinion but you are an idiot. Enjoy your normal car you chump.’
That made me laugh soo much!! :Grin

We had 5 kids, so a California just wouldn't have done it. They all kept coming on holiday until the youngest went to Medical School so we used a 7 berth towed Caravan.
Now they are all married and settled the California is a godsend . 4 of them spread around the UK so easy to visit them without having to impose on them, just sleep on the drive or in the case of my daughter, in the goats paddock. Our holidays are now so simple. we all meet up as they have their own caravan/motorhome /tent and the joy of driving without a big tin box behind.
Just make sure you don't have too many kids. ;);)

Tell them to get a life....

And keep sending them photos of your kids having a great time NOW!! Not some time in the future when you won't even be there to appreciate it.

Its only their opinion, why is it burning you so much? Don't give in to the knee jerk reaction, feeling you have to justify your choices.....

Live & let live, you make your choices, they make theirs, the VW life is not for everyone, and the beauty of it is no one is wrong.

You may think they've been a little mean in their comments, but on the other hand take heart that they are indeed a very good friend as they feel they can share their contrary opinion with you...... Lets face it, lots of people can say they love it to your face & walk away saying "what an idiot"

Its only their opinion, why is it burning you so much? Don't give in to the knee jerk reaction, feeling you have to justify your choices.....

Live & let live, you make your choices, they make theirs, the VW life is not for everyone, and the beauty of it is no one is wrong.

You may think they've been a little mean in their comments, but on the other hand take heart that they are indeed a very good friend as they feel they can share their contrary opinion with you...... Lets face it, lots of people can say they love it to your face & walk away saying "what an idiot"

Burn well and truly gone, especially as my wife and I were having dinner in it an hour after the phone call :thumb

Have you seen the film "Free Solo"?

He doesn't care what others think! (coz they will never understand)

Have you seen the film "Free Solo"?

He doesn't care what others think!
I am one of them people who really isnt that bothered what people think unless there close friends, but it was the moment, phone him up all excited and then was hit with the 'daft campervan' comment, and then tought cheeky git! You should tell people the truth, i agree defo, but then theres also the other saying that could have been applied "if you have nothing good or positive to say, dont say nothing at all" :) or the older and wiser saying "dont pee on someones parade"

I am one of them people who really isnt that bothered what people think unless there close friends, but it was the moment, phone him up all excited and then was hit with the 'daft campervan' comment, and then tought cheeky git! You should tell people the truth, i agree defo, but then theres also the other saying that could have been applied "if you have nothing good or positive to say, dont say nothing at all" :) or the older and wiser saying "dont pee on someones parade"

I agree.......

We are all different in our outlook and I think that's a good thing and your close friend needs to understand that. Your close friend also should be a little more sensitive, tolerant and circumspect about/in what he/she says about your life choices. The world would be a far better place if we all thought more about the consequences of our words and actions before shooting from the hip.

Mark,

I do not know your friend however it sounds like he is kind a jealouse (I might be wrong) or he is afraid of the fact that you aren‘t going to spend your holidays together anymore?

What ever it was what made him say this sentences: Only you can say if this van is worth it and only you (and partner) worked (I guess hard) and saved (hard too) money to buy it.
As said above several times: Children will love it or hate it whatever car you buy/wherever you fly for holidays but chances are high the like it when you‘re all together and the California/any campervan/MH is a great place to spend time together (just look at this board and all this great trip experiences shared here).

But maybe he (your friend) just needs a tiny tour de Cali to understand you?

Wish you a nice weekend, get packed and start your Caliweekend!

Could just be a jealous thing!
“He who dares win” so to speak
Live for today.....tomorrow who knows

It was my kids that pestered the life out of me to buy my Cali

Sure it was an expensive outlay but the freedom and enjoyment the last 6 years since ownership has been an experience I wouldn’t want to change

Happy days
Alan

Good afternoon,

What other people say or think about me bother me not that much, but as mentioned before, it is different when a (dear) friend mentioned something like this. Gives a bit food of thoughts.

But I was hoping that friends understand me (at least a little) and support me, even if they disagree. If someone buys a BMW R 1200 GS in Ireland I wouldn't say anything against it, even though it is also very expensive in Ireland, the good weather last not that long to really enjoy the device for a long time in a year. But if somebody put his / her heard into it - why not?

Also I think parents are human beings too. If the parents feel well, than it is easier to create a good family atmosphere which in turn give so much to the children, far more than money.

Also I am a little bit selfish. My children are older and have (or almost have found) their place in the world. Supporting them in providing a good education is something I see as my responsibility - but there must be an end to it. Again parents are human beings and we all won't live forever. To make the best out of it must be allowed too.

Regards,
Eberhard

Divide the ownership cost (purchase price less resale price) by days owned and ask anyone if they could buy their children an outstanding life experience cheaper.

Jealousy comes to mind.
I have also just bought myself a camper and people seem to give me this look to say "your mad" or "you must be stinking rich".
At the end of the day I bought it for the kids and the memories they will have will never leave them. They will love us more for it and will not remember or really apreciate the painful saving you would have gone through to give them money later on in their lives.
Also the california is one if the more undepreciation vehicles you can buy so great resale!
Enjoy I will be next weekend on our first weekend camping trip in it. Can't wait and neither can the girls.

Jealousy is a strange thing.

Experience has taut me that life is for living, grip it with both hands and ride it fast as you can until you can’t hold on anymore !

Tomorrow never comes!

Your kids will thank you,
You will thank you !

We need to know what daft vehicle this guy drives :) I bet it's actually much dafter than a Cali!

I'm going to guess some stupid SUV crossover thingy

Let it wash over. I have done many things in my life that others would choose not to understand however I get it and thats all that matters.

Don’t forget to send him regular photos of your camping trips and the fun you are all having.
We need to know what daft vehicle this guy drives :) I bet it's actually much dafter than a Cali!

I'm going to guess some stupid SUV crossover thingy

Smart car !

Back