Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Yes indeed - life is too short...

DG1

DG1

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have been a non-registered "lurker" on this forum for a while as I have been researching the various options on T6 camper conversions and the Cali Ocean, as a camper has become possible for us thanks to an inheritance left to me by my father. We quite often camp in a tent, including festivals, but it has recently seemed much more inconvenient - must be age!

Like many others before us, my wife and I have looked at conversions from various companies and compared with the VW Ocean. Eventually we decided it is worth the extra money to go for an Ocean for the sheer quality, character and residual values if we decide to sell later. It is a big outlay for us, but you only live once and you can't take it with you—as many others have said on this forum.

I have spent quite a few hours poking around various T6 Highline conversions from established companies. Some are really very good, but others have unfinished edges inside cupboards or items of original trim not refitted after the conversion (e.g. around door latches). And I really don't like the hand-applied sealant on the roof around the pop-ups, the carpeting applied to the panels inside, or the double rear barn doors fitted on many of the conversions. And who knows what the vans had been used for, and how they had been treated, before.

At first my wife wanted a manual, having never driven an automatic, but it looks like most recent Oceans are DSG and this is the one to go for, subject to test-driving (especially having read comments on the forum).

We have our eyes on several late 2017 or 2018 pre-reg DSG examples and have inspections and test-drives lined up over the next week or so. There are actually quite a few around at VW dealers, but with suprisingly large price variations for similar age and spec, depending on their discounting policies.

We know what we definitely want - 150 bhp, air con, ordinary cruise control, parking sensors, rotating front seats, parking heater and preferably lights and vision package for auto lights, mirror and wipers (which now seems to be standard on the Ocean). We probably won't get a reversing camera for our budget but I don't think this is essential as the van is not for daily use, just trips away.

So far the forum has been a fantastic resource for me and has answered ever question that has arisen. It is fascinating and very informative reading how others have gone through many of the same thought processes. And I just love how people have such affection for their Calis - we are in love ourselves having not even got one yet...

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Tell your wife that the DSG gearbox does have a Manual function, just no clutch pedal.:thumb

Reactions: DG1
Had mine since October last year, love it............

I have been a non-registered "lurker" on this forum for a while as I have been researching the various options on T6 camper conversions and the Cali Ocean, as a camper has become possible for us thanks to an inheritance left to me by my father. We quite often camp in a tent, including festivals, but it has recently seemed much more inconvenient - must be age!

Like many others before us, my wife and I have looked at conversions from various companies and compared with the VW Ocean. Eventually we decided it is worth the extra money to go for an Ocean for the sheer quality, character and residual values if we decide to sell later. It is a big outlay for us, but you only live once and you can't take it with you—as many others have said on this forum.

I have spent quite a few hours poking around various T6 Highline conversions from established companies. Some are really very good, but others have unfinished edges inside cupboards or items of original trim not refitted after the conversion (e.g. around door latches). And I really don't like the hand-applied sealant on the roof around the pop-ups, the carpeting applied to the panels inside, or the double rear barn doors fitted on many of the conversions. And who knows what the vans had been used for, and how they had been treated, before.

At first my wife wanted a manual, having never driven an automatic, but it looks like most recent Oceans are DSG and this is the one to go for, subject to test-driving (especially having read comments on the forum).

We have our eyes on several late 2017 or 2018 pre-reg DSG examples and have inspections and test-drives lined up over the next week or so. There are actually quite a few around at VW dealers, but with suprisingly large price variations for similar age and spec, depending on their discounting policies.

We know what we definitely want - 150 bhp, air con, ordinary cruise control, parking sensors, rotating front seats, parking heater and preferably lights and vision package for auto lights, mirror and wipers (which now seems to be standard on the Ocean). We probably won't get a reversing camera for our budget but I don't think this is essential as the van is not for daily use, just trips away.

So far the forum has been a fantastic resource for me and has answered ever question that has arisen. It is fascinating and very informative reading how others have gone through many of the same thought processes. And I just love how people have such affection for their Calis - we are in love ourselves having not even got one yet...

Unsure why it put my reply inserted within your post but here it is again.

I don't live far from you if you want to have a look at ours that's personalised and not a clinical showroom example. I can take you for a drive if you want. Just an offer.

Good luck with your test drives and Cali hunting.
For the Ocean model both aircon and a parking heater are fitted as standard (I am not sure about the vision package but this may have changed to be standard aswell for 2017 models and onwards).

Good luck with your test drives and Cali hunting.
For the Ocean model both aircon and a parking heater are fitted as standard (I am not sure about the vision package but this may have changed to be standard aswell for 2017 models and onwards).
Thanks. I get the impression from the listings on the VW vans database and the information sent by dealers to me that the vision package must be now standard on the Ocean as they don't mention it as an extra, and all the ones I have looked at this age in the flesh have had the auto light switch.

Unsure why it put my reply inserted within your post but here it is again.

I don't live far from you if you want to have a look at ours that's personalised and not a clinical showroom example. I can take you for a drive if you want. Just an offer.
Many thanks for that kind offer. I've crawled over quite a few Oceans now, including ones in use by owners at recent VW shows, and I hope to get some good dealer test drives this weekend. So I should have enough to go on, before we buy, but may get back to you if we need to know more.

Many thanks for that kind offer. I've crawled over quite a few Oceans now, including ones in use by owners at recent VW shows, and I hope to get some good dealer test drives this weekend. So I should have enough to go on, before we buy, but may get back to you if we need to know more.

No probs, As said if you want any help just ask. No expert but free advice then you make your mind up :thumb

Don‘t forget the adaptive Cruise contol ACC
It works perfect with DSG

Think about a removable towbar for a bike Carrier!

Don‘t forget the adaptive Cruise contol ACC
It works perfect with DSG

Think about a removable towbar for a bike Carrier!

Agree with the tow bar, we have a slide and tilt bike rack would not be without it, plus it lets you have a rear tailgate spoiler, and the bikes don't sit above the roof line.

Agree with the tow bar, we have a slide and tilt bike rack would not be without it, plus it lets you have a rear tailgate spoiler, and the bikes don't sit above the roof line.

Cant comment on the DSG, personal choice but I don't like them. If I were to change vans, looks like I will now be forced into it, at extra cost. I think VW should lower the cost in line with the old manual due to not offering that option now.

• Thanks
Welcome on board , seems you know what it will be ....now get yourself one and start enjoying!
;)

Good luck! We love ours. Just make sure you phone round every Cali dealer before you plump for one to test what's out there. Ours turned up that way and was a good deal for us.

• Thanks
Your homework and your inheritance combine nicely for you. Someone I'm sure will be very happy for you and smiling down on you.
Welcome to the forum, I think you have consider spec well (though as others have pointed out some already standard). If you like to drive smoothly normal cruise control is more than adequate. DSG suits the vehicle very well and only in 1st gear does the 150 seem a bit weak.
Good Luck with your hunt, enjoy it and 5 year manufactures warranty is something I wouldn't let pass and can't see why it wouldn't be available on pre registered Cali's.

You will find yourself buying littler additions every month to make the experience nicer, I've just bought a pop up bin......amongst other bits.

Today we agreed the purchase of a delivery mileage, pre-registered 150HP DSG Ocean in Starlight Blue, with a blue roof bellows which looks really smart and means the upper bed will stay much darker after sunrise than the standard grey.

The van will be releases in early September just in time for a four day trip to Wales :). We can't wait!

We were very impressed by the service from Justin and his manager at Listers Vans in Coventry - they really knew their stuff and did not try to do a hard sell. I've never so many Calis available to sell at a dealers, so plenty of choice.

Now thinking what we need to get started - gas cylinder, portaloo and probably the roof ladder from the Cali Club shop.

Loads of bits to get, we have a Cadac safari chef and always cook outside in the awning

Last edited:
Take your time...is the general and best advice here or you will spend money you don't need to.
And of course be sure because no matter how popular an accessory is it still wont be liked by everyone.
Sounds like you intend sleeping up top which means you'll feel the vehicle wobble more when you turn over in the night but I think is the more comfortable bed and having the the standard grey bellows I have found the Cali Topper the most useful addition in driving rain and early hours of the morning.
Look up the ikea ideas on the forum too. Chopping board/tray etc..

Thanks for that advice. I have read similar advice on the forum - I am going to try to restrict to essentials to start and see what we need as time goes on. We have just bought an extra large grey microfibre towel (on sale at the Mountain Warehouse at the moment for £10), to try it out as a seat cover for the rear seat when camping - this was a tip I saw on the forum. And it can be used as an extra towel, beach mat etc if required. I have already started browsing The Range, Aldi and pound shops for useful bits and bobs. Aldi have a breathable waterproof van cover for £39 online at the moment - could be useful over winter.

A roof topper, external windscreen cover and bike rack are also things we will want in due course. It will make it worth getting VIP membership and buying these from the Shop here.

Thanks for that advice. I have read similar advice on the forum - I am going to try to restrict to essentials to start and see what we need as time goes on. We have just bought an extra large grey microfibre towel (on sale at the Mountain Warehouse at the moment for £10), to try it out as a seat cover for the rear seat when camping - this was a tip I saw on the forum. And it can be used as an extra towel, beach mat etc if required. I have already started browsing The Range, Aldi and pound shops for useful bits and bobs. Aldi have a breathable waterproof van cover for £39 online at the moment - could be useful over winter.

A roof topper, external windscreen cover and bike rack are also things we will want in due course. It will make it worth getting VIP membership and buying these from the Shop here.

Having had seat covers and disliked them immensely I now just cover my rear seat with a microfibre towel, a bright burnt orange one that brightens the whole place up.

So far it has proved to be quite dog proof and resistant to letting water through.

One warning though. Quite a lot of Microfibre towels leach dye in their first few uses, so wash it a few times before use otherwise a serious wetting, as in a water spill, could result I the dye running into the seat fabric.

I also have a comfort external insulted windscreen cover which is in it's fifth great year, getting a little tatty, but it has been blown about by 90 mph wi ads in Scotland etc.

Many thanks for that advice, GrannyJen. I'll wash the towel as you suggest, although it is grey to match the seats, so colour leaching may not be a problem.

Today I was in the Range to get some collapsible kitchen gear (I just love the buckets and washing up bowls), and spotted they have a wider range of large throws that would also make a good protective cover for the rear seats while camping.

I am more keen on proper seat covers for the front seats, in particular to stop them wearing over time. Aldi currently have a full set of AutoXs Limano Car Seat Covers for £14-99 that supposedly are compatible with side airbags. However, I am not sure what would have to be done to accommodate the arm rests - I have read some where there is a special tool to remove them when fitting covers.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/autoxs-limano-car-seat-covers/p/095649196717700

Many thanks for that advice, GrannyJen. I'll wash the towel as you suggest, although it is grey to match the seats, so colour leaching may not be a problem.

Today I was in the Range to get some collapsible kitchen gear (I just love the buckets and washing up bowls), and spotted they have a wider range of large throws that would also make a good protective cover for the rear seats while camping.

I am more keen on proper seat covers for the front seats, in particular to stop them wearing over time. Aldi currently have a full set of AutoXs Limano Car Seat Covers for £14-99 that supposedly are compatible with side airbags. However, I am not sure what would have to be done to accommodate the arm rests - I have read some where there is a special tool to remove them when fitting covers.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/autoxs-limano-car-seat-covers/p/095649196717700
Watch the you tube clip about seat covers from a bus and beyond. This will give you an idea of how easy it is to remove the arm rests. They also had a Lidl/ Aldi set of covers they were removing to pit on the new ones so gives you an idea of longevity

Thanks Georgiegirl. We've been working our way through their clips but hadn't found this one yet. A Bus and Beyond is really great - watching it helped us decide an ocean was what we wanted and it helsp hearing the views of real users rather than marketing.