Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dog's Life

SprintGT

SprintGT

Florence's Dad
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello everyone,
Early last year we purchased a brand new female puppy Cockapoo which we named Florence. Since she has entered our lives we have come to the realisation that we can't possibly go on any form of holiday or short break without taking our beloved Florence with us. As a consequence, for our holiday this year we hired a 2/3 berth motorhome (not a VW) and visited two sites in Wales with a final night at Stratford upon Avon.
This was the first time we had done anything like this as previously my wife had made it quite clear she would never entertain the idea of a camping or caravan holiday. Imagine my surprise and not so secret pleasure when she admitted to thoroughly enjoying the holiday, saying that we should get our own motor home. She even said it was to be a VW Transporter based model. This was because during the holiday we had seen numerous VW conversions and had been regaled with their virtues by their proud owners who were delighted to show us round their vans. It was left to me to do the research and I was like a child in a sweet shop! The problem was that there were so many options, should we go for a new or used base vehicle and which of the many conversion companies should we choose with their different versions? In the end the choice was easy we visited the nearest California dealer, Northampton VW Van Centre and test drove the Ocean. We were immediately impressed with the quality of the build and the car like drive. So much so that we confirmed our order the following day even though we were warned that delivery would not be March/April next year.
So there we are, a new life awaits with our T6 Ocean 204 DSG and in October we are taking possession of our second Cockapoo. What could be better?
Thank you to all posters in the forums, we have already learned lots of valuable California tips and hope that one day we will be experienced enough to provide some more.

David

image.png
Hello everyone,
Early last year we purchased a brand new female puppy Cockapoo which we named Florence. Since she has entered our lives we have come to the realisation that we can't possibly go on any form of holiday or short break without taking our beloved Florence with us. As a consequence, for our holiday this year we hired a 2/3 berth motorhome (not a VW) and visited two sites in Wales with a final night at Stratford upon Avon.
This was the first time we had done anything like this as previously my wife had made it quite clear she would never entertain the idea of a camping or caravan holiday. Imagine my surprise and not so secret pleasure when she admitted to thoroughly enjoying the holiday, saying that we should get our own motor home. She even said it was to be a VW Transporter based model. This was because during the holiday we had seen numerous VW conversions and had been regaled with their virtues by their proud owners who were delighted to show us round their vans. It was left to me to do the research and I was like a child in a sweet shop! The problem was that there were so many options, should we go for a new or used base vehicle and which of the many conversion companies should we choose with their different versions? In the end the choice was easy we visited the nearest California dealer, Northampton VW Van Centre and test drove the Ocean. We were immediately impressed with the quality of the build and the car like drive. So much so that we confirmed our order the following day even though we were warned that delivery would not be March/April next year.
So there we are, a new life awaits with our T6 Ocean 204 DSG and in October we are taking possession of our second Cockapoo. What could be better?
Thank you to all posters in the forums, we have already learned lots of valuable California tips and hope that one day we will be experienced enough to provide some more.

David

Hi David, as besotted owners of a black cockapoo called Pepe we know exactly what you mean. We had in mind holidays to far flung places around the world as we got more time, but now wouldn't dream of it without the dog. Devon, Wales, Scotland, and France are much more exciting than Delhi or Bangkok as long as the dog's with you!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and to Florence. Had pets all our lives and can see us getting a dog again in the future. Cavapoos look ideal for us as do Cavachons. Will wait till we are bedded in with the Cali then I can see one arriving.

Mike

Hi and welcome , great write up as first post , we even have a dog section where you can place your dog's adventures

Hi David and welcome. Our spaniel (Betty) loves the Cali and it's impossible to keep her out of it even at home when I have the van door open to fiddle about with the plumbing or something.

(The little sod, sorry I mean little darling, has just been in the vet hospital last week, to have a large barley ear extracted from her bronchial tube - and £1800 extracted from our bank account).

Happy days!

IMG_20160730_085142116_HDR[1].jpg

What a lovely story.
When I started doing dog agility 3 years ago I joked to all my friends that if / when I started competing I would get a VW camper - I'd never been in one or driven one - but for some reason, that was what I was going to do. Last summer I ordered my 204 DSG 4 motion without so much as a test drive. Best thing I ever did. The dogs and I are hardly home and having a great time. You will too.
We look forward to meeting you and Florence at a VW event next spring.

Hi David and welcome. Our spaniel (Betty) loves the Cali and it's impossible to keep her out of it even at home when I have the van door open to fiddle about with the plumbing or something.

(The little sod, sorry I mean little darling, has just been in the vet hospital last week, to have a large barley ear extracted from her bronchial tube - and £1800 extracted from our bank account).

Happy days!

View attachment 16125
I know dogs can be a big worry especially if they are the adventurous type, you never know what they might pick up when romping about. I hope I never get a vet's bill like that.

I reckon there's a few of us that bought a campervan because we had a dog...or even vice versa!
We love our campervan trips.
I'm just listening to the wild weather outside the house tonight....shall I/shan't I head for the hills and the inevitable resultant muddy dog tomorrow? That is the question keeping me awake...my gut feeling is to go!

I reckon there's a few of us that bought a campervan because we had a dog...or even vice versa!
We love our campervan trips.
I'm just listening to the wild weather outside the house tonight....shall I/shan't I head for the hills and the inevitable resultant muddy dog tomorrow? That is the question keeping me awake...my gut feeling is to go!
Go Dottie go! You won't ever regret going - you might regret staying home.
I'd offer to join you but just mad ea commitment to do an RPM tomorrow.
Next time !!!

Hello everyone,

David

We travel with 6 dogs and have a great time with them. They certainly add a bit of adventure to say the least.