Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Xenons: Worth it.

I'm not a fan of Xenons, I have had oem ones on various cars.

I think they dazzle oncoming drivers very easily, even if well/correctly set up. Also IMHO I think they can be too bright, and can affect your natural night vision (too bigger difference in brightness between lit & unlit areas). This makes it to be easier NOT to spot hazards just out of the lit area.

The Cali std headlights are ok at best, but much improved with these (a lot more cost effective IMHO);

http://www.passionauto.co.uk/products/philips-x-treme-vision-h7-car-headlight-bulbs.html

These can be had for a lot less on eblag, but can't remember where I got my last ones from on there.

Micky ; I used them on the Defender along with better light units. Worked well and made the lights almost safe.

Car lights are lagging bike ones. Xenons/HIDs are almost obsolete. My single bike light running on one battery chucks out 1700 lumens for 3+ hours in s single charge. More than most headlights on main beam.

Car lights are taking a while to catch up!

KernowLad said:
Micky ; I used them on the Defender along with better light units. Worked well and made the lights almost safe.

Car lights are lagging bike ones. Xenons/HIDs are almost obsolete. My single bike light running on one battery chucks out 1700 lumens for 3+ hours in s single charge. More than most headlights on main beam.

It's difficult to know how to reply to many of your posts, I've come back to this one several times, editing the post each time, sarcasm, understanding, pity, humour, I've considered all themes for my reply and i am still flummoxed.

James

Custard said:
KernowLad said:

It's difficult to know how to reply to many of your posts, I've come back to this one several times, editing the post each time, sarcasm, understanding, pity, humour, I've considered all themes for my reply and i am still flummoxed.

James

I think you might be taking this all a bit too seriously. Lighten up (oh dear...:-D )

Custard said:
KernowLad said:

James

You don't need to reply, it's all subjective.

Your xenon units look the dogs :censor and are worth it for the LED DRLs alone :thumb

Even my wife said that on Saturday morning when you arrived!

So, have been looking into it today :smile

Xenons your not just buying a name your buying a way of lighting... :thumb :thumb :thumb

if you've had them you'll know ;) ;)

i do like DRL's as a safety option ,but not the greatest lover of LED DRL's.. sorry :sad

James

It's your cali and your choices, you are happy so don't worry about everyone else's views. I don't think there is a wrong answer on this particular topic :thumb

LED lighting is the future; lower power consumption, better performance, longer life, more durable in use in vehicles. However the technology is still developing so it will be a while before its in main stream use in vehicle headlights.

Ducati have just started using it on their latest superbike, the Panigale, new out this year. It's the first production motorcycle to have full led headlights.

As a building engineer we are using LED in lots of new applications both inside and outside buildings. Again the technology is still developing and cost (plus other issues) are still potential barriers to its widespread application. It's already starting to appear as car park lighting replacing those nasty orange coloured low pressure sodium lamps, and it's a fairly common replacement for compact fluorescent lamps in downlighting........oops, I'm veering off topic a bit here :crazy

Please don't take anything I posted personally. Its merely my 'rural country view'.

At night here everything is pitch black, no street-lighting generally.

My comment relates to difference in lighting levels (+ human night vision)...in an urban well lit area, xenons may be an advantage/necessary
E405.png

Sent by BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

choplee said:
Xenons your not just buying a name your buying a way of lighting... :thumb :thumb :thumb

i do like DRL's as a safety option ,but not the greatest lover of LED DRL's.. sorry :sad

Yeah, I would normally agree. I hate them on Audi's, but think they are more acceptable on the Cali, dunno why :doh

Custard said:
Should i just rip them out by hand and bin them?

James

Yes, but be careful not to damage them. Wrap them carefully and post them to me, not forgetting to remove and send the auto-leveling sensors at the same time. :thanks

Simon ;)

choplee said:

I have had them...

Once LED headlights become mainstream (think only the Audi R8 uses them so far?) I will be interested but I think xenons, while good, are still too flawed.

That new Ducati is a complete monster!!

It wasn't so much a personal response, it's just, what is the debate - you either like them or you don't.

Can't deny the cost as a retro fit is mad - but who hasn't spent a small fortune on their van? These Cali's are very personal, a choice of the heart as much as one of the head. We all personalise our vehicles.

I would never say, yes, you must have xenons - because nothing can ever be justified like that. You add what you feel comfortable with and what you want.

I never saw my Beach as a project but I've added stuff which will help me whilst I own it and hopefully at resale, along the way I've tried create a vehicle that captures something unique.

I've got a very basic vehicle really, I love the Xenons, going down a country road with a bit moe confidence is fantastic. But that's a reflection of me, and how I feel about driving.

if i was ordering from the factory now, any car, yes, xenons, equally I am aware the future of light technology may lie elsewhere.

Thank you for the kind posts - I appreciate that an internet forum, sometimes it is easy to take things the wrong way.

Going back to the beginning of the thread, order them, if only because they look the dogs **+++!!(((

James

shambly said:
Custard said:
Should i just rip them out by hand and bin them?

James

Yes, but be careful not to damage them. Wrap them carefully and post them to me, not forgetting to remove and send the auto-leveling sensors at the same time. :thanks

Simon ;)

:smile

Custard said:
It wasn't so much a personal response, it's just, what is the debate - you either like them or you don't.

Can't deny the cost as a retro fit is mad - but who hasn't spent a small fortune on their van? These Cali's are very personal, a choice of the heart as much as one of the head. We all personalise our vehicles.

I would never say, yes, you must have xenons - because nothing can ever be justified like that. You add what you feel comfortable with and what you want.

I never saw my Beach as a project but I've added stuff which will help me whilst I own it and hopefully at resale, along the way I've tried create a vehicle that captures something unique.

I've got a very basic vehicle really, I love the Xenons, going down a country road with a bit moe confidence is fantastic. But that's a reflection of me, and how I feel about driving.

if i was ordering from the factory now, any car, yes, xenons, equally I am aware the future of light technology may lie elsewhere.

Thank you for the kind posts - I appreciate that an internet forum, sometimes it is easy to take things the wrong way.

Going back to the beginning of the thread, order them, if only because they look the dogs **+++!!(((

James

They do look the dogs James and I would have them ,as they suit the shape of the t5.1 very well :)

choplee said:
Custard said:

James

They do look the dogs James and I would have them ,as they suit the shape of the t5.1 very well :)

I've said before it's mad that VW have designed such a cool looking light for a 'humble' van, then that's because they are most common on the LHD Highline Multivans. VW does not see Multivan's as a 'van'.

They do suit the shape, the LED's are gorgeous and set off the squareness of the front.

James

Custard said:

James

You know I think your Beach is dead cool and I DO think the xenons look nice. Just not worried about them myself - nothing personal!

KernowLad said:
Custard said:

James

You know I think your Beach is dead cool and I DO think the xenons look nice. Just not worried about them myself - nothing personal!

Have you got xenons on your BMW?

Rilla said:
KernowLad said:
Custard said:

James

Nope but had them on my Golf.

KernowLad said:

Rilla said:

KernowLad said:
Nope but had them on my Golf.

Sorry, I was being naughty.

Trying to get you talking about the BMW again, you always get in trouble talking about it and its funny. :smile

Rilla said:
KernowLad said:

Nope but had them on my Golf.[/quote]

Trying to get you talking about the BMW again, you always get in trouble talking about it and its funny. :smile[/quote]

I've got a manual and not a DSG???????

James

Rilla said:
KernowLad said:

Nope but had them on my Golf.[/quote]

Trying to get you talking about the BMW again, you always get in trouble talking about it and its funny. :smile[/quote]

Dammit I forgot. What BMW?

:lol: no problem, I was feeling a wee bit guilty I may have kicked something off here but I've found the responses useful. I guess many kind of know what we want when we ask a question but just need some moral backup/justification (call it what you want). On a side note I do love the way forum threads digress so easily, it happens on every forum in the world I'm sure. Imagine if parliament was done by forum:

"mr speaker I would like to ask the right honourable minister for transport about the m4 bus lane"
"buses are pointless"
"I've got a bike, it's quicker"
"I don't go out at all I use my phone to video conference on FaceTime"
"Apple fanboy!"

See, much better. :D

Back