Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Xenons: Worth it.

P

Paul S

VIP Member
Are the headlights any good on the SE or if you had your choice again would you spec Xenons? I'm not fussed about the LED bling but having suffered the atrocious halogen lights on my Audi A6 for the last 4 years I am concerned I have one chance to get it right. We drive about 15k miles a year and I commute pretty much in the dark from September to March on unlit minor roads so at that time of the year when we faff about with the clocks headlights suddenly go right to the top of the priority list. I know it's £1100 but that's not my overriding concern, if they're unquestionably better than I'll pay it but if there is not a lot in it then I'll keep the money in my pocket. Ta for any comments.

I'm sure James (custard) will be along shortly to comment - He is about the only one with them (actually Oli must have them on his Caravelle Edition 25 too)

The Cali does feature rather funky cornering (fog) lights that do all sorts of weird and wonderful things to illuminate the kerb at low speeds but that won't help at speed.

Simon

As has been said, I have them on my Edition 25, and I've just got a new kombi with them as well. Yes they are expensive, but they are so much brighter than the standard lights - they look good too :thumb

I've ordered them n a few more vans that I'm having now. I'm really impressed with them

shambly said:
I'm sure James (custard) will be along shortly to comment - He is about the only one with them (actually Oli must have them on his Caravelle Edition 25 too)

The Cali does feature rather funky cornering (fog) lights that do all sorts of weird and wonderful things to illuminate the kerb at low speeds but that won't help at speed.

Simon

Expensive - but they make a massive difference - certainly gives me and passengers more confidence.

If I was ordering now, they would be a must :)

They cost at least two pages of the Brandup Accessories Catalogue.

James

Don't think they are needed, here in UK we have good roads and well light in areas that need it. In Europe and further afield this is not the case. But in my extensive driving over there I never felt the lights were not up to the task......

BerndRos said:
Don't think they are needed, here in UK we have good roads and well light in areas that need it. In Europe and further afield this is not the case. But in my extensive driving over there I never felt the lights were not up to the task......

I'm not sure anything is ever needed - I mean I could wind up the windows and adjust the mirrors manually if I so wished.

Let's face it on a modern car - how many 'gadgets' do we ever need?

For driving round Cornwall where I have done a lot of driving - then I find them a must, are they worth it, no, probably not, but it's personal choice and I like having a wider spread of light on small roads, unmade roads or country roads.

Personally - I think they are a 'bright' idea :)

James

Point is, if a vehicle maker produces a vehicle with standard lights that are not up to the task, then they don't deserve to sell a single unit. Options get really crazy if you need to pay extra for decent lights.........

:lol: Thanks for that. Agreed lots of things are not really needed but that's what progress is for yes. The roads I and my missus drive on are completely unlit, and have few cats eyes or white painted borders so we need all the "help" we can get I'm ashamed to admit. Anything that makes it less stressful to drive at night and allow more concentration to be given to driving rather than simply straining to see in the first place is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, we're not myopic or anything but those of you old enough to remember the lights on a 6v VW Beetle may get where I'm coming from, the lights on the Audi really are that bad-put it this way, when it's dark we don't drive faster than 50 as the lights don't give enough spread to be able to stop within the distance you can see. I think this is "A Bad Thing". I shall justify the cost of Xenons by explicitly and deliberately explaining to the missus that I will NOT be buying an iphone5.

Paul S said:
:lol: Thanks for that. Agreed lots of things are not really needed but that's what progress is for yes. The roads I and my missus drive on are completely unlit, and have few cats eyes or white painted borders so we need all the "help" we can get I'm ashamed to admit. Anything that makes it less stressful to drive at night and allow more concentration to be given to driving rather than simply straining to see in the first place is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, we're not myopic or anything but those of you old enough to remember the lights on a 6v VW Beetle may get where I'm coming from, the lights on the Audi really are that bad-put it this way, when it's dark we don't drive faster than 50 as the lights don't give enough spread to be able to stop within the distance you can see. I think this is "A Bad Thing". I shall justify the cost of Xenons by explicitly and deliberately explaining to the missus that I will NOT be buying an iphone5.

Iphone 5 tempting - just to be different lol

I like the extra confidence I get from the lights - they make a vast difference to driving at night. you're right cars progress and it can't be long before Xenons and (or) LEDS feature as a norm for lighting.

It is personal choice and it's one I made. I certainly don't think you should be ashamed, I feel similar when I am driving at night on poorly lit roads.

Looking at why you may have them, they give out a much wider spread of light, very handy on narrow roads.

James

BerndRos said:
Point is, if a vehicle maker produces a vehicle with standard lights that are not up to the task, then they don't deserve to sell a single unit. Options get really crazy if you need to pay extra for decent lights.........

I agree but seeing as my Audi was built quite a while ago I think for me at least the horse has bolted on this one. It's my own fault, nobody made me buy it, but ever since I've always tried to do part of a test drive in the dark. Our Mercedes CLC has brilliant lights. No space inside, no go (yet still lousy economy) but brilliant lights.

I've always had Xenons on mine and my wife's cars. I'd be lost at night without them now. The ones on my wife's Ed35, as were the ones on my BMW 335 and RS4 are/were adaptive, and that is another level at night on a dark twisty road :D

Xenons for me all the way :thumb

Can they be retro fitted?

Might be another option it VAG TEC or Hazzy Dayz can do a retro fit asthen the cost is deferred to after delivery of the Cali

Bjohnson said:
Can they be retro fitted?

Might be another option it VAG TEC or Hazzy Dayz can do a retro fit asthen the cost is deferred to after delivery of the Cali

I had them retro fitted :) by hazzy days

James

Aha, there we go I thought that would be the case.

I might add these onto my retrofit wish list in that case :thanks

I'm off to look at the Hazzy Dayz website, it's fast becoming as well viewed as the Brandrup brochure!

Bjohnson said:
I'm off to look at the Hazzy Dayz website, it's fast becoming as well viewed as the Brandrup brochure!

Woooah......they aren't cheap :eek:

Custard did you go for the AFS as well?

Bjohnson said:
Aha, there we go I thought that would be the case.

I might add these onto my retrofit wish list in that case :thanks

It's expensive because you need to add the auo levelling. And if you want to be picky the headlight wash. I've only ever found hazzy days to be really good.

The downside to retro fit is expense, no point getting to a stage were you could have just got a factory order. I set aside a budget for extras, bits I thought would be good for me owning it and good for it when it comes to resale.

With the xenons it's actually the led drl's that are good. Great for early morning driving or poor weather.

James

Bjohnson said:
Bjohnson said:

Woooah......they aren't cheap :eek:

Custard did you go for the AFS as well?

Yes lol.

Added headlight wash and fluid indicator for washer bottle as well

Ridiculous money really. But they are very good

James

The bits are about £2500 aren't they, do you mind me asking how much you paid? PM if necessary

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
The bits are about £2500 aren't they, do you mind me asking how much you paid? PM if necessary

I will PM you, it's not so much being ashamed of the cost, I just really don't want to talk about the Xenons on here lol. See previous threads...

James

Custard said:
Yes lol.

Added headlight wash and fluid indicator for washer bottle as well

Ridiculous money really. But they are very good

James

Thanks James, I've added them to my cali wish list, along side the RNS510 sat nav!

I would make Xenon headlights a serious consideration if I were ordering new. I only ever order cars with them now, once you've had them it's difficult to go back and driving a vehicle without them makes you feel like you only have flickering candles on the front.

Retrofit/Factory?? Well in some cases (RNS510) I would say retrofit but in this case the overall cost of the retrofit combined the the work required makes it a factory order decision in my opinion.

Stu said:
I would make Xenon headlights a serious consideration if I were ordering new. I only ever order cars with them now, once you've had them it's difficult to go back and driving a vehicle without them makes you feel like you only have flickering candles on the front.

Retrofit/Factory?? Well in some cases (RNS510) I would say retrofit but in this case the overall cost of the retrofit combined the the work required makes it a factory order decision in my opinion.

I would agree with that. I've bought nothing camping wise for the beach as we never intended it to be a serious camping vehicle. So for us it was just about justifiable (just).

I have to agree, now I have them, I wouldn't be without them. So as a factory order, I would order them.

Stu - as you've commented to a thread that must have caused great amusement when it appeared on Friday night :). Any chance you can look at the LHD Cali pics thread and the link posted re the LHD front window blinds. Any thoughts? Would you consider it?

Would appreciate any input.

James

Didn't like them on my R32, don't feel the need for them even in darkest Cornwall. Only lights I did upgrade were on my Defender which had lights so poor, holding a lighter out of the window seemed a good idea.

I think the California lights are pretty good as standard.

KernowLad said:
Didn't like them on my R32, don't feel the need for them even in darkest Cornwall. Only lights I did upgrade were on my Defender which had lights so poor, holding a lighter out of the window seemed a good idea.

I think the California lights are pretty good as standard.

I like them

James

Back