Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World premiere of the all new Volkswagen California

Variant specs for the five versions I've found on two websites - presumably will vary by market, not all will be imported, and there'll be upgrade options from further up the list:

• Beach
  • Beach Tour
  • Beach Camper
  • Coast
  • Ocean

#1 - Beach
manual pop-up roof
six seats

#2 - Beach Tour
rotating and height-adjustable seats for the driver and front passenger
folding chairs in the boot lid
lighting for the pop-up roof
sliding windows for the sliding doors
camper van control unit
40-Ah camper battery
USB ports
mattress

#3 - Beach Camper
five seats
mains hook-up
kitchen module w. gas cooker, cutlery drawer & storage space.

#4 - California Coast
four seats
28L fresh water tank
mains socket
exterior folding table
kitchenette
second camper van battery
fold-out bed

#5 - Ocean
Melange Raven recycled seat fabric with California embroidered onto the backrests
heated driver & front-passenger seats
Climatronic aircon
auxiliary heater
roof storage box
kitchenette lighting

Sources:

Its a no from me - interior looks sterile & short on space - personally I dont think the sacrifice of storage, double burner, large worktop, larger bed, is worth it for another sliding door & few other things. I see my Coast as a 2nd home with creature comforts & an important factor being security when camping alone which I think a 2nd sliding door distorts.

I'm interested to see the response from Mercedes, Ford and other major manufacturers. Is this a major opportunity for them or is the market just not big enough for them to be interested?

The main thing I noticed at CMT this year was a lot more campers being based on Ford Transits. I sat in couple and it was a pretty nice place to sit.

We plan to be driving our T6.1 for many more years yet, so the the market will have moved on by the time I really have to look.

I wonder what the politics behind using the Multivan are. Two sliding doors is being sold as an advantage, in my view it’s a limitation of the platform that has led to downgraded usability in a number of areas.

Maybe it’s as simple as keeping the German factory open? As I understand it the T7's are being built in the Ford factory in Turkey?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm interested to see the response from Mercedes, Ford and other major manufacturers. Is this a major opportunity for them or is the market just not big enough for them to be interested?

The main thing I noticed at CMT this year was a lot more campers being based on Ford Transits. I sat in couple and it was a pretty nice place to sit.

We plan to be driving our T6.1 for many more years yet, so the the market will have moved on by the time I really have to look.
Agreed. We have had a look around a few fellow campers Ford nuggets on our current trip. Very impressed. There is a real opportunity for the Ford T7 in a nugget conversion to wipe the floor with the latest multivan Cali.As for the build quality arguments, I think VW have seriously damaged their reputation over the bellows.

Agreed. We have had a look around a few fellow campers Ford nuggets on our current trip. Very impressed. There is a real opportunity for the Ford T7 in a nugget conversion to wipe the floor with the latest multivan Cali.As for the build quality arguments, I think VW have seriously damaged their reputation over the bellows.
Well the roof problems didn't affect them seemingly and I very much doubt the bellows problems will either.
The Ford and Mercedes offerings are no different to the majority of conversions on new vehicles where you end up with 2 x warranties.

Lack of floorspace with bed in use porta loo goes where?
Lack of storage for foodstuff.
Stupid chair/bed seat design robs storage space.
Single burner stove, currys out then.
All make this no use for me, for same reasons many other current campers just dont work either.
Overpriced for what it offers, great lifestyle buy for the rich dryrobe crowd to take to padstow beyond that just dont work.

Well the roof problems didn't affect them seemingly and I very much doubt the bellows problems will either.
The Ford and Mercedes offerings are no different to the majority of conversions on new vehicles where you end up with 2 x warranties.
Agreed. In the end we didn't go with a premium converter because we wanted any issues to be dealt with by one manufacturer. However, there comes a point whereby one might take a risk on third party conversion.

When's a T7 a T7 ?
When it's a Ford T7. Because Ford apparently own the right to use T7. In the video VW say they have no plans to have a California based on the VW/Ford van. Looks good for the residuals for the T6.1's.
They refer mainly to the new vehicle as the "All New California" or occasionally the "Multivan California "
No VW T7.The VW T California is no more. R.I.P.

Issue seems to be isolated to the UK market where it rains a lot.

My buddy has 3 2023 Beach California on his car lot for sale, all brand new. One has been sitting with the roof open for the last month and no water inside, Bavaria where it's also known to rain quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Not everyone wants a camper where you need to have the roof up to use the kitchen though. It will be a very crowded marketplace with so many converters using the Transit platform.

There is a thread on Cali killers on this forum. This new Cali certainly qualifies as such!

Comparing the new Beach to the T6.1, it has lost a lot of its versatility. Half the boot space is already gone! There is no room for a fridge and Porta Potti in front of the bed when it’s made up. You also have this ridiculous process of needing to turn the middle seat around! If it had a swivel mechanism it wouldn’t be so bad, but it doesn’t appear to. Maybe that’s for the .1 release.. I imagine people that only need two back seats will keep the middle one permanently folded and rotated. The mattress is also very thick, which means there is a lot less storage on the rear shelf.

The factory fitted window storage is a good idea, but does it just mask a lack of blinds in the back. I’m sure we will find out soon enough.

Overall, in my view the Beach has lost much of it’s flexibility, which is a real shame.

Last edited:
The battery can't go flat it is a Hybrid, the 1.6ltr petrol engine kicks in to keep it charged.
But it’s a plug-in hybrid isn’t it?

Haven't heared anything about factory fitted solar, anyone knows if this will be offered?
I also thought they might add some at factory to match the 330w panel that the new Nugget has.

I also thought they might add some at factory to match the 330w panel that the new Nugget has.

Solar options and lithium power would have been the minimum upgrades I expected TBH, not just for efficiency & space optimisation but also weight savings given the payload limitations. A single 100Ah LiFeP04 battery with slimline 100w panel would probably save 40kg+ over a twin AGM set up on the Ocean. In true VW style they could even charge a hefty premium as an option.

The base vehicle dictates many of the compromises in terms of internal space but not powering the camping element of the vehicle so I’m mystified at that decision. It’s almost as if they have designed it in a customer feedback vacuum.

Solar options and lithium power would have been the minimum upgrades I expected TBH, not just for efficiency & space optimisation but also weight savings given the payload limitations. A single 100Ah LiFeP04 battery with slimline 100w panel would probably save 40kg+ over a twin AGM set up on the Ocean. In true VW style they could even charge a hefty premium as an option.

The base vehicle dictates many of the compromises in terms of internal space but not powering the camping element of the vehicle so I’m mystified at that decision. It’s almost as if they have designed it in a feedback vacuum.

What leisure battery does it come with?

What leisure battery does it come with?

I saw one 40Ah for the Beach and one or two batteries for the Ocean/Coast depending on whether you have EHU. No mention of Lithium but why option 2 batteries if they aren’t going to be AGM?

Yes but it is a hybrid ( It also has a petrol engine)
You have
Hybrid
Plug in Hybrid
HEV
Yes it is
You have
Hybrid ( Small battery and an ic engine to charge the battery)
PHEV ( larger battery but still a ic engine to charge the battery but battery can also be charged via plug in.
BEV full electic vehicle with approx 80kw battery's and you need to plug-in to charge them

The base vehicle dictates many of the compromises in terms of internal space but not powering the camping element of the vehicle so I’m mystified at that decision. It’s almost as if they have designed it in a customer feedback vacuum.

AGM batteries are fit and forget compared with LiPO4 when used in the temperature ranges in which the California is used.

AGM batteries are fit and forget compared with LiPO4 when used in the temperature ranges in which the California is used.

Welshgas
Yes it's a plug in Hybrid
All plug in Hybrids also have a small ice engine to charge the battery.
It is only Full EV,s that 100% run off battery's

Back