Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World premiere of the all new Volkswagen California

If I've read correctly it only has an allowed weight carrying capacity of 250kg, better get used to travelling light.

They should go back to a modern air cooled petrol engine in the back and have a flat front for more space. That would sell.

Well that's not really hit the mark from my perspective.
FAR less storage and less logical setups, a fairly large amount of dumbing down of smart storage (random clips to hold down a mattress, a cup holder that folds out with no click-in place, random planks to cover a waste tank etc).

The bed is significantly smaller, and the bits that have changed didn't need a change (fold up carpet that still gets in the way anyway).

The only two good changes were the padded window covers (albeit not the fact the front requires two people apparently and is manual with tent poles) and the chairs (which now lose the cavity in the middle for additional storage).

The fridge is worse, the cooking options are worse, the storage is worse. And WHO decided to put a water fill port on the INSIDE OF A VEHICLE!!!

One benefit of the ‘half kitchen’ in the ocean is that the passenger front seat user can stretch out legs with ease when turned around. Also sit up while the lower bed is in place. Perhaps a toilet here during the night.

One benefit of the ‘half kitchen’ in the ocean is that the passenger front seat user can stretch out legs with ease when turned around. Also sit up while the lower bed is in place. Perhaps a toilet here during the night.
Of course if you put the toilet in front of the fridge you won’t be able to pull the fridge out for drinks etc

There is a 230 V socket both on the inside and on the outside of the kitchen, so a stand-alone induction hob could be used while on EHU.
I probably spend 10% of my time on sites with EHU, and were you going to store it the other 90% of the time in a cabin with already minimalistic storage. So much of this design makes so little sense for anyone planning extended trips away. And much of the 'form' was whittled away on the production model. Can't even say form over function now, which you could for the Concept. A swing and a miss I'm afraid VW.
Who will encourage their dealer to put the poptop up in a rain shower? I'm dying to know if these bellows are carrying on that 'tradition'. From what I've seen so far I get the feeling lessons have not be learned.

In fairness, I quite like the sound of the Beach Camper version.

But… that fixed unit in the boot… I would much rather have the versatility on my T6.1 Beach Camper (relief!), which has the same one burner hob but which folds into a void on the left side interior rather than taking up valuable bootbspace.

If I did feel the need for such a fixed unit in my 6.1, then VW already offer one in partnership with Ququq, which I suspect works out a bit cheaper than a T7 Beach Camper

They all look like electric roofs too. Be a shame to loose out on the vw scene that is so massive. I know things grow on people eventually but not sure this will. And the price, what will that be? 100k? My t6 was less than half that. Doubt very much I'll be seen in one of these things anytime soon.
The various presentations I that I watched all claimed that the electric roof was an option on all variants including the ocean, so there is at least some good news.
There were claims that the Beach was going to start around €65k and the Ocean at €85k, but notably the VW guy at the presentation refused to say anything which means they haven't decided yet.
Interesting the claims that a porta potty toilet could fit between the (newly hight adjustable) front seats.
The payload on the PHEV Ocean remains around 360Kg.
Electric only range is 100Km
4X is via the electric rear axle. They didn't say but don't hybrids typically cut out the electric motor at 100kph or thereabouts?
Edit: also the rear seats weigh about 27 Kg.

If I've read correctly it only has an allowed weight carrying capacity of 250kg, better get used to travelling light.
One of the VW morons at the presentation claimed that the payload of the PHEV ocean would be similar to the T6.1 ocean at 360Kg.

I always watch this channels videos, and was hoping he would have had access to a ‘production’ model.

So many things are just off with this new one.

• The cover for the windscreen… nope that’s a joke in how it works and having to store it.
  • Single gas hob is a shame.
  • Headrests having to be turned around rather than simple drop down as in the T6.
  • The small table didn’t look much use in another video, such a shame the main table is in the boot.
  • Two seats in the back do look too slim for larger people
I’m not sure what they could do with the Multivan platform and being a camper, I do like the two doors, I like that you can spec which side you want the main awning to be on, I like the front seats can be turned easily, and the storage looks better than what the concept showed.

I can see this van working for some people, but it wouldn’t for me.

Also it was interesting that in this video he says that ford owns the copyright to ‘T7’.

Last edited:
I came here to post the same YouTube link - weirdly the new Ocean does tick a lot of boxes for me as a T6 Beach owner, whilst the new Beach sadly looks a duffer.

I can see why it’s not a ‘true’ Cali replacement for many & why those with families / on extended trips may struggle, but pluses for me personally as a ‘big car / infrequent camper’ couple are;

more car-like / less van-like
adds (enough) built-in storage / fridge / sink
overhead rear locker
twin sliders
better seats
choice of 150 diesel, 200 petrol or 245 4WD PHEV (interested in what the aux heater arrangements are …)
still possible to sleep one or two / up or down

I’ve recently added VanEssa bags & am about to modify my 2-seat bench box to create a taller cupboard & fridge / cassette cooker storage, so this does all that with a bonus sink - I’d just be losing the very handy large single underseat drawer for two smaller ones.

EDIT: watched the premiere Q&A too & they sound to be set as the Multivan as a dual-use midpoint between Caddy & Crafter with no plans to continue onto the new joint Transit Transporter. Marco Polo will become a popular option!

Last edited:
Electric only range is 100Km

Unless they’ve changed the battery/motor specs for the PHEV variant, the Multivan e-Hybrid PHEV I’ve been driving the past couple of weeks got me 23 miles of urban driving on just electric power, 31 if I drove it like a nervous nun and the aircon off. You can choose 2 drive modes - petrol/electric hybrid mode or just pure electric.

If I’m honest, the Multivan did grow on me and it drives and handles very nicely indeed for a big car. But as a Cali replacement? It won’t be for me.

My observations are that It’s longer because the bonnet is longer.
Would be interesting to see an interior plan with dimensions vs the T5/6/6.1.

I don’t feel the need for another sliding door - in fact, having just the one helps me keep tabs on the kids as I know whether they’re in the van or not… they’ll be getting out of the other side and I won’t have a clue where they are.

All that much needed but slightly not quite enough, storage under the kitchen has gone.

One burner hob - so you can have pasta OR sauce / coffee OR a bacon sandwich then? Much of my cooking is outside the van BUT the selling point of the Ocean vs the Beach is the kitchen and storage vs the extra space / versatility. The Ocean now seems a compromised solution for more money.

I’ve had two Calis, I can be impulsive and like shiny new things, especially vehicles but whilst this is nice, I’m not looking at it and really wanting one - I’m looking at it and visualising me getting frustrated because there’s less space for things.

I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen one IRL, these things often grow on people and perhaps they’ll make a few practical changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, from an interior point of view, literally the only thing left from the concept van is… the two sliding doors? Everything else is effectively the same as the T6.1 but cut down.

Unless they’ve changed the battery/motor specs for the PHEV variant, …
In the presentation (or in the Q&A after?) they did mention that this was a new spec battery for the PHEV. I assume the same will come to the non-California multivans.

So, from an interior point of view, literally the only thing left from the concept van is… the two sliding doors? Everything else is effectively the same as the T6.1 but cut down.
Build quality seems lacking from the images I've seen. Acres or hard plastic (expected more in a premium car based platform). I saw a lot of plastic flex suggesting they used thinner materials to cut down the weight.

Come on guys, what’s not to like. It’s lush…..apart from the sloppy roof in profile, tooo Marco P!!

Back