Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winterising the pop-up roof

JohnnyRainbowDeer

JohnnyRainbowDeer

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
We leave our 2008 Cali parked outside all the time. I have noticed that during rainy period the water sometimes gets under the rubber sealing of the pop-up roof when closed and to avoid corosion of the aluminium edges it is necessary to open the roof slightly from time to time and leave it to dry. Since we don’t use the pop-up roof during winter period I was thinking to “winterise” the roof by applying some water-repellant paste which would be easy to remove before the main season without damaging the rubber sealing. Any ideas?

Can I ask how you solved this?
We don't want to use the pop-up roof in winter and I'm dealing with the same question - how best to winterize the roof. Thanks

I think I would just make sure all the drains are clear. Have left mine outside all year around since 2009. Never felt the need to open it to let it dry. There are drains front and back.
I did used to park it slightly uphill for a while when I thought the rear drains worked better but not anymore.
As far as I am aware all Californias leak with the roof down whether moving or sat still but the drains should work.

Last edited:
We leave our 2008 Cali parked outside all the time. I have noticed that during rainy period the water sometimes gets under the rubber sealing of the pop-up roof when closed and to avoid corosion of the aluminium edges it is necessary to open the roof slightly from time to time and leave it to dry. Since we don’t use the pop-up roof during winter period I was thinking to “winterise” the roof by applying some water-repellant paste which would be easy to remove before the main season without damaging the rubber sealing. Any ideas?

Just use car wax/polish followed by a super gloss resin once a year, this will create a protective layer:

I think I would just make sure all the drains are clear. Have left mine outside all year around since 2009. Never felt the need to open it to let it dry. There are drains front and back.
I did used to park it slightly uphill for a while when I thought the rear drains worked better but not anymore.
As far as I am aware all Californias leak with the roof down whether moving or sit still but the drains should work.
I'm new to Californias too, so I have to ask, since I'm not sure I understand: where are those leaks (since they all leak, I guess mine too ..) ? Where are the drains ?

I'm new to Californias too, so I have to ask, since I'm not sure I understand: where are those leaks (since they all leak, I guess mine too ..) ? Where are the drains ?
In each corner there is a hole to drain away water. At the back it’s pretty clear. They drain into the edge of the rear hatch gutter.
At the front corners there is a plastic piece about 10 inches long that just lifts off. Under it you will see the roof cables go into the roof cap. Under those cables there is a little hole on each side that drains down a tube in the A pillar and comes out under the bonnet.

My tube on the passenger side got disconnected a year ago and every time it rained, it basically rained into my footwell. Took me a while to find the tube and reconnected. But that’s how I know they all leak BUT they have drains.

Also nothing should rust or corrode. The body is covered in zinc and the roof is aluminium. Nothing to rust.

There are various problems with roofs bubbling but that isn’t corrosion and isn’t caused by water.

Search - top right of this page - “roof drains”.

Just use car wax/polish followed by a super gloss resin once a year, this will create a protective layer:

Agree. Apply Autoglym Super Resin Polish with a polisher. Then apply Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, job done.

Back