Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why is the pop up roof sloping and not flat

P

Paul Merone 62

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
This may be a dumb question but I was wondering why the pop up roof is designed to slope rather than be horizontal when in use. If it were flat it would be easy to sleep head or feet first. The roof is always down when moving so it can't be to do with aerodynamics.

This may be a dumb question but I was wondering why the pop up roof is designed to slope rather than be horizontal when in use. If it were flat it would be easy to sleep head or feet first. The roof is always down when moving so it can't be to do with aerodynamics.
I presume with a sloping roof , in windy conditions, the vehicle can be orientated to minimise the force on an angled roof compared to a vertical roof?

My guess is it is easier to keep things straight/ under correct tension to have a hinged rear/ struts to lift the front than it would be to have 4x struts lifting. For the Ocean dwellers just one set of motors lifting keeps things simpler/ lighter too.

The old T2 manual flat lifting roofs had a fairly limited travel range which was potentially at the top end of what could be kept in line. Who knows?

Simpler, more aerodynamic / stronger, less material to have to fold away, lighter etc.. - plenty of good reasons and most people always sleep the same way (unless you routinely move your pillows to the opposite end of the bed on a regular basis at home).

Simpler, more aerodynamic / stronger, less material to have to fold away, lighter etc.. - plenty of good reasons and most people always sleep the same way (unless you routinely move your pillows to the opposite end of the bed on a regular basis at home).
I would prefer to sleep head to the rear but there is obviously very little headroom. Sleeping head to the front means I almost kick my other half in the head as I swing round to get in

I would prefer to sleep head to the rear but there is obviously very little headroom. Sleeping head to the front means I almost kick my other half in the head as I swing round to get in
Yoga classes?

get in first?

Oh she’s better off with that….. my wife gets a face full of my wedding tackle as I go legs akimbo to get in or out of bed:eek:

A big vote for drainage of rain water. It’s better if it drains off a lower edge so it does not easily get blown into the canvas sides. In fact in a downpour the slope of the roof will launch the rain water away from the van, keeping the canvas dry. The raised roof sides also guide the rain to the back of van and stop cross-winds from blowing it off the sides.

Another reason could be for cooling in hot weather. The hot air goes to the top of the roof keeping you cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back