Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ventilation panels in pop up roof

D

Dougs

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Wondering if anybody has found a way of temporarily covering the ventilation panels in the pop-up roof?

I fully appreciate the need for ventilation, but there are times when they really need covered eg to keep rain or midges out. I know that in most conditions the rain doesn't come in, especially if you park with the boot facing into the wind, but it's a pain when the wind changes in the middle of the night and water starts coming in (like during a storm we had in Brittany). It's the one time that I've looked at motorhomes with envy!

At these times it just doesn't feel weatherproof and I really feel this is a design flaw with the California.

There’s also the problem of stopping midges or mosquitoes getting in through the panels so I'm looking for a way of temporarily blocking them.

Tried all kinds of tape, but nothing sticks. And it needs to be removable……

you could use a roof topper or make some thing using magnets to stick over them ?

I have found the Brandrup Isotop a game changer. No more cold blasts or rain in my face when sleeping. Even without bothering to zip in the front panel it makes a huge difference.

I love our purcer screen… very quick to install and it feels very cosy in the pop top when it’s up.

On our last two Cali’s we hand stitched a layer of Scottish midge net (much finer mesh) over the vents. It significantly cuts down on the draft but still gives some ventilation and of course keeps out our infamous midge! As an aside we also use a much larger piece of the same mesh as a sliding door screen (with magnets in a sewn hem for fixing) this both keeps out the beasties and reduces the breeze/wind if you like sitting with your door open into the evening.

you could use a roof topper or make some thing using magnets to stick over them ?
The magnet idea might work! I have a Rainbow screen cover that I use in winter but it’s a bit of a faff to put on. Which is why I’m looking for an easier temporary way to block them.

I use plenty of duct tape, lasts the night and leaves no residue.

On our last two Cali’s we hand stitched a layer of Scottish midge net (much finer mesh) over the vents. It significantly cuts down on the draft but still gives some ventilation and of course keeps out our infamous midge! As an aside we also use a much larger piece of the same mesh as a sliding door screen (with magnets in a sewn hem for fixing) this both keeps out the beasties and reduces the breeze/wind if you like sitting with your door open into the evening.
Thanks. Not sure I’d want to stitch into the pop top myself though.

Thanks. Not sure I’d want to stitch into the pop top myself though.
Understand your concern, we cut a piece same size as the current vent (using a template) and then hand stitch simply attaching to the vent mesh not the main pop top material. We sleep up top mostly, including winter and it works a treat.

Understand your concern, we cut a piece same size as the current vent (using a template) and then hand stitch simply attaching to the vent mesh not the main pop top material. We sleep up top mostly, including winter and it works a treat.
Great idea, easy to remove should you need to, any photos ?

Great idea, easy to remove should you need to, any photos ?
Sorry no photos handy, but probably hard to see anyway as it matches vent size almost exactly so just looks like the original vent only much finer mesh size overlaid on top or original. Even without a topper in driving rain conditions we’ve never noticed any rain coming through which it did when only left as factory mesh.

I've been meaning to do this for a few years, thanks for the reminder!

Back