Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter Ski Camping

I've taken the plunge, tunnel & campsite booked. Me and myself are off to Les Arcs for Christmas. After reading this thread I'm staying in the Huttopia site at Bourg and hoping the Ski Hire that used to be run by my good friends Rosie & Gordon @DaveB . will still have lockers so I don't have to lug my gear around. I'm interested in peoples experience on pop top insulation, external wrap or isotop?

Any other nuggets for a first timer will be gratefully received.

I have been using the Khyham poptop for several years, it works well and gives good insulation,.

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2535.jpeg

I'm interested in peoples experience on pop top insulation, external wrap or isotop?

Despite being a massive fan of the internal isotop, for snow and icy conditions an external topper makes more sense, one that covers the hinges / support arms to keep the snow out of them is best.
Better still use both an internal and an external liner.

Never used an external cover, never needed one.
Tumble dryer tube from the internal diesel heater vent up to the Poptop makes a massive difference for anyone sleeping up top.

Roof box can help for ski and boot storage

The Huttopia site runs a daily bus to the funicular on a first come first serve basis but if the times don’t fit in you can easily park in the funicular car park for €3.50 per day. The site also has a ski and boot room opposite reception. Take the panel off next to your rear underseat drawer and the skis fit in the Cali easily. Request a space on the tarmac hardstanding and take ramps as it’s mostly not level. There is an indoor swimming pool opposite the Intermarche it’s handy to pass an hour or so after the lifts have closed. Have fun.

Last edited:
Assuming you have power from the campsite -
A slow cooker worked well for me. Load the bowl with items & half bottle of red wine before you leave for the slopes. When you get back at the end of the day you have a cooked dinner all done.

I've taken the plunge, tunnel & campsite booked. Me and myself are off to Les Arcs for Christmas. After reading this thread I'm staying in the Huttopia site at Bourg and hoping the Ski Hire that used to be run by my good friends Rosie & Gordon @DaveB . will still have lockers so I don't have to lug my gear around. I'm interested in peoples experience on pop top insulation, external wrap or isotop?

I have heard that Rosie and Gordon sold up :-(

I am so gutted to hear about Rosie. We had many wonderful nights out with her in BSM. R.I.P