Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ski,Alps, first timer, eaisy

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,
My daughter wants to ski, and I want to Cali camp. We can do both.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good first place to go, to keep things as eaisy as possible , as I haven't used the van in snow, or very much atall for that matter.
So fairly close to drive?Avoriaz? Eaisy acess roads, eaisy park up spot or campsite etc
We live on the south coast, not to far from Poole docks. So Alps is almost closer than Scotland. We were going around the 12 th Dec, so may need high resort for snow?

There's a beautiful (free) campsite at the bottom of the resort in Les Deux Alpes, I have an apartment there and couldn't believe how good the location of the campsite, you can ski right to the lift. Had shower & hook up's too.

I took some photos, will try to dig them out.

I've spent loads of time in Avoriaz, can't imagine there's anywhere to camp up there, and being up the mountain rather than in the town (Morzine) could take it's toll.

Yes,
Hi,
My daughter wants to ski, and I want to Cali camp. We can do both.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good first place to go, to keep things as eaisy as possible , as I haven't used the van in snow, or very much atall for that matter.
So fairly close to drive?Avoriaz? Eaisy acess roads, eaisy park up spot or campsite etc
We live on the south coast, not to far from Poole docks. So Alps is almost closer than Scotland. We were going around the 12 th Dec, so may need high resort for snow?

I strongly recommend http://www.oustalet.com/ this resort is in the resort of Chatel - on the same extensive ski circuit as Avoriaz (Porte Du Soleil) with 650 km of skiing in 12 linked resorts.
The campsite has wifi, a heated pool, heated shower and toilet blocks, ski locker and drying rooms & the free shuttle service to the main lifts stops by the entrance.

Get yourself hookup and you will love it!

.....you may be a week early as most of the Alps don't open properly until the following week (when I will be there!)

Two good recommendations, thanks
I seem to remember walking to Chatel when doing GR5
We had planned not to shower, but that site would be total luxury
And hook up
We could leave it a little later, thanks for that advice,but must be home for Christmas

Pyrenees are open as well.
Could be a problem finding a site open though but Cauterets at least has aires which are ok for camping. Got hook ups as well but it's a case of turning up and hoping there's a space.

I would like it as simple as poss first time
Managing the snow, cold etc will be enough, and time is a little short,
The Chatel place looks great, but already booked up for the first week

I would like it as simple as poss first time
Managing the snow, cold etc will be enough, and time is a little short,
The Chatel place looks great, but already booked up for the first week
Let us know how you get on, we have only used our van for skiing in Scotland so far but the Alps sound appealing. I am especially interested in how you find the use of buses to get onto the slopes and keeping ski gear dry.

The Chatel site as 500 m from the ski lift
Skis....hadn't thaught of that
I have a pair of little skis that can go in the back eaisily, I was going to hire some for Claire
I would imagine claires can be pushed through that bit to the side of the bench
Perhaps take towels to dry them of
I think the van will be a bit steamy! But we will have hook up there
It could be an interesting experiment
But we will be in fun mode, so the things that go wrong are often the funniest and most talked about bits!!

^ great attitude! :thumb

If you're thinking about les deux alpes, Champ Moulin is the best place to stay. Nestled in a little valley you camp by a stream. Quiet but restaurants nearby, sauna on site, hookup, bread delivery. There's a cable car up to the resort proper. Last 4 yrs I've spent an average of 18 days / yr in many of the ski resorts and this was one of the best I've been to.

http://www.champ-du-moulin.com

That sounds a great one Fred
We do want it close to Cherbourg, but Chatel and dampens won't be open early, Les deux Alps is
Any other suggestions. I had wondered about staying low in bourg st Maurice and getting the cable up to Les arcs
I have snow chains, but only summer tyres, and no ice experience, and 2 wheel drive.
Is there a problem with the heater at altitude??
Les deux Alps seems the best so far
Thanks for the advice

We already have some snow here in Flumserberg Switzerland. Although it is not that much! This is next to Walensee and there is a small CP in Murg. Have fun skiing!
f47578560b5794cbf632168aa30e597a.jpg

That sounds a great one Fred
We do want it close to Cherbourg, but Chatel and dampens won't be open early, Les deux Alps is
Any other suggestions. I had wondered about staying low in bourg st Maurice and getting the cable up to Les arcs
I have snow chains, but only summer tyres, and no ice experience, and 2 wheel drive.
Is there a problem with the heater at altitude??
Les deux Alps seems the best so far
Thanks for the advice

Remember to practice fitting the snow chains, and take a head torch and folding shovel of some sort, my experience has been fitting chains in a blizzard in the dark, had to dig round the tyres just to get chains on.

Shovel will also be handy at the campsite to either dig yourself in, or out!

We use one like thishttps://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Black_Diamond_Lynx_Avalanche_Safety_Snow_Shovel_BlackGrey-(40565)?Curr=GBP/?keyword=&gclid=CKCfiremv8kCFQTjGwodkRYCrA

Thanks scmbd
I have been practicing with the chains
Quite eaisy without snow.i did get eaisy fit, as advised by a French site

Shovel is a good idea, useful for wild camping too
I will pop to an army surplus store
The site near les deux Alps is under 1000 meters, so may not be to snowed in this time of year.
I am a bit worried as no winter tyres, but 99% of the drive will be on low motorways, just the last 10 is high, so I will risk it , and go slow
The. Ski lift up to the resort included in the ski pass, which is a bonus
And hired skis can be left for free in the shop
I have got a 1kw fan heater to run of there 6 amp, to dry the kit,
Just working on an inside drying line! ....free sauna I guess!.,

Thanks scmbd

The site near les deux Alps is under 1000 meters, so may not be to snowed in this time of year.
I am a bit worried as no winter tyres, but 99% of the drive will be on low motorways, just the last 10 is high, so I will risk it , and go slow

Remember to leave the heater on low during the day and cupboard doors half open to prevent water and drain freezing.

From reading other threads, I had decided to take water bottles, I have a bag, that I can hang from the coat hook above the sink
Keep the tips coming

Do you have an roll out awning. If so I'd recommend getting something like the Comfortz front and sides. This gives somewhere to get kit off/on and store skis etc out of the van. Helps to keep heat in the van as well.
BTW skis will fit fine down the side of the seat. Got three pairs in with a bit of jiggling about but put some cardboard or thin ply in front of the units to prevent damage.

Thanks scmbd

Unless there has been a huge dump of snow, you should be fine on regular tyres, when I last went to Chatel I had chains but didn't need to fit them as the roads are so will cleared (mine was a 2WD).
With regards to a fan heater, I ran mine with hook up and a fan heater (rather than the Ebespacher factory heater) for the first couple of nights, but I woke up with a dry throat. Personally I would only use the fan heater until you go to bed and then move across to the diesel heater - or if you have the room a small oill filled rad wont dry out the air so badly.
One of the huge advantages of using a proper winter campsite over the aires or a car park is the fact that all your kit dries out properly over night, you have proper warm shower and toilet blocks.
If I still had my motorhome I would be less fussed but in a Cali with more than one person, you definately want a bit of luxury :thumb

I figured there would be legal requirements to have winter tires during winter time in the alps? It is in Sweden.
Fantastic ideas everyone.

Our favourite place in the Fench Alps is Orelle in the Maurienne valley. It is the back door to 3 valleys and has the highest skiing in Europe. You can either wild camp in the car park at the telecabine or use to local campsite. The up lift is straight to 3450m ( starts at 800m) and as it is just 20 mins off the autoroute and at low level, never need chains etc. At the moment it is one of very few places with any snow at all.....

Best kept secret in the Alps..... Back door to 3V , bit like the wardrobe in Narnia! Enjoy!

Great thread!

@CYCLOPATH how did you get on? I'm thinking of taking my daughter to the Alps at Easter to get a couple of days late season skiing?

Any recommendations for guaranteed late season snow would be appreciated. The nearer the better to Calais.

I'm going to allow four nights i.e. 1 day travelling there, 2 days skiing and 1 day travelling back. Should be doable?

image.jpeg We had a great time, my Avatar was from there.
The journey was great fun. I get tired after about four hours driving, so got Claire to check the Internet for a site as we drove using this site

http://en.airecampingcar.com/
Our first site even had free hook up, near a sugar factory and canal.
We are the first can on the left.
After advice from here we stayed near the base of Les deux Alps cable car in venosc
The snow was poor low down, but we jumped in the cable car, no need to drive, and went up to the glacier, which was great.

We parked up here for free on the way back. They even had a very local Christmas fair going on.

I think I would have gone to the site mentioned in the thread , that was below Val thorens , as there would have been more skiing. We didn't see that message till we got home!
We had a days hiking in the snow one day instead of skiing.

I carried bottled water, not wanting to risk my pipes freezing. The van was a dream. Heater was amazing. I didn't bother with hook up...even the free one, ( as I wasn't so sure, till I had a chat with the Belgium man in the morning)
Our battery was about 50% when we left for home!

image.jpeg

Back