Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen "blind" - best option?

weston.front

weston.front

Hi

We are new to the world of campervans, having just purchased a 2009 California. First night in it last week - very impressed with everything apart from the VW issue cover / "blind" for the windscreen. Very fiddly indeed.

1. Is there a knack?
2. Can anyone suggest a better solution (I like the idea of something without suckers so it keeps the windscreen clean each time)

Will

Keep the windscreen all clear weston.front?

Have a look a the the Silverscreen or taylor made type of covers. I've got a silverscreen. They're great.

I just bought the Silver Screen off eBay. Shop soiled - bargain, and really good too. Much easier than internal stick-and-sheet combos.

Not sure about external screens; can scuff paint, something else to get dirty and damp (needs drying before storing), more faff, not ideal if you need to move in a hurry (wild camping, etc).

Although the supplied one is a comedy design, at least it stays dry and stashes into a little bag. I also like memory metal side screens; pretty clever. I'd like a better designed front screen cover but it does the job for us. We often sleep without it on anyway!

Re: Windscreen "blind" - best option?

Silver Screen here too. Taylormade a bit cheaper but they were to busy to see me one.

I was contemplating trying to get my hands on the internal windscreen cover that doesn't have poles as that one is a breeze to fit. Ours is the crossed poles version and has a bit of a knack to it, not massively fiddley but not super straight forward either. Although the poles one does block more light as it is a closer fit to the window.

The external thermal screen option is great for lack of condensation, blackout and warmth but I'm a fan of the all internal blinds for pack away and not needing to be sorting blinds in wind/rain or storing wet.

First really cold night away I bet I change my tune though! (Fairly Sub-zero).

With our poles screen my approach is along the lines of:

Always make sure the 'short ends' of the poles go into the longer (bottom left and right) sleeves as that leave more flexible pole for fitting in the easier to reach upper corners.

Fit 3 of the corners with the blind in the van but leave one upper corner loose. This makes it easier to position the blind a bit bunched up at first, then spread the bottom corners into place before putting the final pole into its sleeve and then positioning the top corners against the window.

I'm still new to it myself so interested to see if there are other positioning tips :)

I have a set of Taylormade external screens, used once and now reside in the garage never to be used.

I already owned a set of internal thermal screens but after everybody raved about them I thought they would be a good idea. I found they are just too bulky and has been said, I would hate to have to take them off in the rain and store them wet in the van. Luckily I didn't have to do this on the time I used them.
I use the VW supplied screens (I actually prefered the pole sort on my previous cali than the new one which hangs from the sun visors) in milder conditions and the internal thermals for colder nights.

Think carefully about the type of camping you intend to do, if you want to be moving around constantly stay with internals. Beware also of the magnets used on the Taylormade which stick the screens to the doors. They are very strong and if any grit comes between the magnet and door it will scratch, I got a faint scratch after just one use.

Each to their own, but they weren't for me.

Hubert

Dubs; we done zero degrees with two young kids and just the internal screens; no problems.

Only annoyance is the amount of condensation but a quick wipe and its gone.

We do use a Pucer pop top cover though.

I just leave all three internal screens assembled and store them on the upstairs bed. Since trying it out I have never taken the front screen poles out ever.
--Nick

nickstjt said:
I just leave all three internal screens assembled and store them on the upstairs bed. Since trying it out I have never taken the front screen poles out ever.
--Nick

Hmmm, good idea!!

Not sure I can take any credit - I think I may have read it somewhere on the forum :D

The brandrups screens that came with our 2012 Cali are perfect IMO. They are internal and attach using fine Velcro. Fits snugly. No condensation.

Re: Windscreen

MisterTea said:
The brandrups screens that came with our 2012 Cali are perfect IMO. They are internal and attach using fine Velcro. Fits snugly. No condensation.

What does the velcro attach to inside the van? Do you know if you can buy / fit them after-market to a 2009 Cali?

I use the justkampers internal thermal screens. they lie flat in the roof when not in use or roll up in a bag. Cheap at £39 and thermally efficient and keep off most condensation. they sucker on but are better at blocking out light than the vw supplied ones and also reflect a lot of heat out of the van in the day if its hot. I used to have an external on my t4 but got rid and got an internal one in the end as i was forever annoyed with chafing paint, flapping noises and trying to get wet screens off and store them inside.

Our van (2012 model) doesn't have any poles in the windscreen cover, just fabric flaps which hook over the sunvisors. I presume it must have been re-designed at some point.

It is not a great bit of design, but it seems to work OK and folds down into a tiny bag.

I presume it would be easy enough to order one of these from VW, but it would probably be cheaper to cover your windscreen with gold leaf ...

Simon

muttley said:
..I presume it would be easy enough to order one of these from VW, but it would probably be cheaper to cover your windscreen with gold leaf ...

Simon

ha ha ha :laugh2

muttley said:
Our van (2012 model) doesn't have any poles in the windscreen cover, just fabric flaps which hook over the sunvisors. I presume it must have been re-designed at some point.

Our 62 reg van has the new no-pole design as well, sadly the Cali supplement has the old ones in the manual - have you found a way to stop the bottom bit from flapping about - do you try to shove it right in where the windscreen meets the dash, or leave it flapping like a curtain :D

T

teeboy said:
Our 62 reg van has the new no-pole design as well, sadly the Cali supplement has the old ones in the manual - have you found a way to stop the bottom bit from flapping about - do you try to shove it right in where the windscreen meets the dash, or leave it flapping like a curtain :D
T
We tuck it down to meet the bottom of the windscreen. You have to fit it onto the back of the sunvisors, so that it hangs nicely onto the dash. We used to hang it the other way around until we realised, in which case it just keeps falling off the dash and flapping about. I am sure VW could come up with a much better solution if they put some effort into it.
Simon

To add my idea to the pot.
We never used the poles. Too fiddly. Love the pop up side curtains. Wish VW or some one could make pop up's for the front. But until that happens....

We brought sew and stick Velcro.
Stuck 1" strip (Hook)in each top corner and middle of the screen.
Sew the other side of the 1" velcro strip (loop /soft) to the material cover.
Easy to install and pull down in the morning.

My cheap system seems very similar to the new Magnetic type.
We did and do have a black external cover but when it rains. (all my trips this year its rained) you have to fath about drying it.

Back