Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild camping across Europe

Just saw this, yeah I’d say it’s for tents only

I'd say it is a bit inaccurate for campervans. Wild camping in a motorised vehicle in Scotland is illegal.

The whole "legal but tolerated" part is open to broad and wild (pun intended) interpretation of the map creator.

In the case of England I'd say it's quite untolerated tbh, tents and campers.

I'd say it is a bit inaccurate for campervans. Wild camping in a motorised vehicle in Scotland is illegal.

The whole "legal but tolerated" part is open to broad and wild (pun intended) interpretation of the map creator.

I agree. All I know for sure is that wild camping in tents is Legal in Scotland and Scandanavia

Much depends on where you are.

On most of Dartmoor it is legal.

Go to a wild part of Snowdonia or the Lake District and it is illegal but tolerated.

Try camping on the local village green and the curtain twitchers will soon call the police.

Homeless people routinely camp in built up areas, and while there have been attempts to criminalise this it is mostly overlooked.

I’ve been wild camping for years all over England and Wales. Sticking to the principles of arrive late, leave early and leaving no trace. Mostly in woods or above the tree line, away from any human habitation - I try to apply the same principles in the van wherever possible. I've never had an issue, however I think the rise of 'fly camping' during lockdown has reduced tolerance by many landowners. Same with car/van camping. Sadly it’s always the actions of a selfish minority that ruins it for the majority.

There are a few businesses in the UK (Camp Wild etc) which are trying to make legal 'wild camping' accessible in England by seeking permission and compensating the landowners. These are mostly but not exclusively tent camping. I applaud the initiative but remain cynical that it’ll work, compared to many countries in Europe and further afield land/water access is very restrictive in England. Even on Dartmoor historical access rights have been challenged recently.