Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Croatia

GrahamBland

GrahamBland

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Taking the Cali to Croatia this summer. Confined to the school holidays and so I know it will be hot and crowded. I also know that wild camping is officially prohibited :(

That being said - does anyone know of any discrete wild camp spots or smaller sites, preferably on the coast as we are taking Sea Kayaks for some island hopping.

Any tips would be great
Thanks
Graham

Went there three years ago, four of us in two Mini's. Don't know of any wild camping, but did stay at a really good camp site in Split which had great facilities, beach, reastaurant and hook-up etc...Went down to Dubrovnik which is lovely, but did take a while getting through the Bosnian border as they stopped our other car for inspction and wanted to look at all of their insurance documents.

Lovely place, and we will be going back again soon!

cheers and enjoy

We're in Croatia right now in the van (I'm bit of an intruder here....we're looking to buy a Cali or Cali Beach in a few months so I have signed up here....we currently have a VW T5 conversion - its nice, but it's not a Cali!) and it's been great. Mind you, some of the campsites are a bit like wild camping...!

The drive down the motorway from Slovenia (which is a gem itself) towards Dubrovnik is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS and the coast road which we took back up is equally stunning (but slow - whatever you're stuck behind...you're stuck behind it). If anyone's humming and ahhing about whether to do it....we recommend it 120%. English is widely spoken, lots of campsites, stunning scenery, great coast, great weather (a lot of the time, anyway). Quite a few Calis en route too but nearly all are Swiss.

Slovenia is lovely. We went to Slovenia for a week last year and stayed at Lake Bled and it was just fantastic. Cannot wait to go back there to be honest.

cheers

Yes - highly recommended. We had a stunning month in Croatia this summer. While there are some very crowded camp sites - we managed to avoid them and found some great alternatives. Having kayaks also meant that we could leave the Cali some nights and wild camp on islands all to ourselves.
For images see here http://www.flickr.com/photos/rollalot/sets/72157631234131514/show/
And a particular highlight for those with kayaks http://rollalot.org/2012/08/zrmanja/

For those heading out there, Slovenia comes recommended too. The Soca river is beautiful
http://rollalot.org/2008/05/5-days-on-the-soca/ but we didn't have the Cali for that trip :(

That does look lovely. We made it as far as the border a few years ago on a motorbike trip but I depserately want to go now. I NEED FAR MORE HOLIDAY!! :D

My brother in law is currently in Croatia, he was in Slovenia last week.
I'll get all the details from him when he gets back as we may well try it next year, so should be able to give you some good campsite info if you can it.

Am writing this while looking up at the eiger, fiescherhorn and wetterhorn. What a view !

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Good stuff how's your trip going so far?

Its amazing!
Definitely top of our trips in the cali so far.
Spent 3 nights in kaysersberg France on the way down - beautiful town with lots of wooden framed buildings, very medieval looking and endless vineyards as far as the eye could see.
Now in grindelwald thanks to a recommendation from puberty!
Great scenery and brilliant walks i could spend weeks here.
Only downside is everything costs a fortune - steak £50 fondue for two £35. Fancied a train trip up to the jungfraujoch(the top of Europe) but even the cheap tickets are £190 for a pair so haven't decided yet.

Go do it!!

Trip sounds fantastic.

Just got back from our trip to jungfraujoch - weather was good at 0530 this morning so caught the early train up.
All i can say is wow what an experience!
After going through the ice palace and standing on the sphinx observatory platform we found you could go outside and go for a nice long walk in the snow along the top of the jungfrau.
Wading ankle deep uphill at 3500m is hard work! Took loads of pics couldn't tell in the bright sun if they were any good though, will check when we get back and post a couple.

Thoroughly recommended to anyone going that way real once in a lifetime stuff.
Sorry to highjack the thread

Back