Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric bike shall I buy?

is anybody using Brompton electric bikes at all.? What’s your opinion of them? i have been Thinking of getting one recently. we have already got 2 xiaomi m365 electric scooters around town and they are brilliant. I know they are illegal but we haven’t been stopped yet and do behave in a responsible manner with them... anyway was more interested in the general opinion of bromton e bikes
I'm riding a Brompton Electric and loving it, with absolutely no complaints. We've had Bromptons for donkey years and hand on heart I've never had a problem . We've traveled on planes, trains and buses with them and of course they fit inside the van. Just about perfect for us.

I recently got a Brompton electric. I love it. They gave many advantages over other folding bikes, some of them obvious like the amazing gold, others more subtle but important. For example when folded the chain is in the middle so you don’t get your clothes oily, and you can ride it normally with a flat battery. The power delivery is great, it has 3 levels of assistance and you can turn it off.
There are some great videos on YouTube, and the Brompton has great technical support, and a community of fans, you can also get good value Brompton electric approved insurance from Bikmo.
Riding it takes a little getting used to, as the wheels are small and the steering twitchy at first, after a few rides it feels natural.

Fold not gold...
I was liking the sound of gold...

I'm riding a Brompton Electric and loving it, with absolutely no complaints. We've had Bromptons for donkey years and hand on heart I've never had a problem . We've traveled on planes, trains and buses with them and of course they fit inside the van. Just about perfect for us.
How do you charge yours whilst on a van trip?

Thanks for the replies, it is looking more positive now, as mentioned I do use the scooter but one of the drawbacks is they cannot be used in the wet. At least with a Brompton it would be ok all weathers . Think it would be brompton electric with the larger bag .. may as well go all out m6l e

Well, this thread is amazing, talk about leading each other astray! After much research starting here and 2 hrs test driving various models.... I am picking up my electric bike at the weekend and I can't wait!
Just incredible, thank you everyone for your help! No more pesky headwinds in the fens stopping cycling for me anymore.

Last edited:
Well, this thread is amazing, talk about leading each other astray! After much research starting here and 2 hrs test driving various models.... I am picking up my Gazelle at the weekend and I can't wait!
Just incredible, thank you everyone for your help! No more pesky headwinds in the fens stopping cycling for me anymore.

Come and join Jo and I as we cycle through in May :)

Well, this thread is amazing, talk about leading each other astray! After much research starting here and 2 hrs test driving various models.... I am picking up my Gazelle at the weekend and I can't wait!

Brilliant.
Anything that keeps you enjoying 2 wheels and fresh air is great.
I’m not a bike snob. Happy to sweat out with the best of them, but at the same time, love electric bikes and what they offer.
Just watched a program on electric cars on tonight...
Dear oh dear.
What a waste of time, so boring.
Give me an e-bike over an e-car anyday.

I think they’re one of the finest inventions...

Was literally just virtually shopping for an bike and liked the look of Gazelles the most. Which have you gone for?

OK, you're on, let us know when you are any where remotely near, you're an inspiration

Stopping at Highfield Farm, Comberton.

Cycling from Bottisham, stow cum Quy, Newmarket road to the Cam, around the Cam to Bridge street, then out to Comberton, followed by Bourne, Abbotsley, St Neots and out towards Harrold.

Was literally just virtually shopping for an bike and liked the look of Gazelles the most. Which have you gone for?
To be honest they were all amazing. They are designed to be electric bikes rather than a bike designed to be electric. It would be hard to go wrong. Lots of reviews on YouTube. I tried a Forme Morley which was pretty amazing I was really impressed. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to pay.

We bought one from Decathlon a year ago. We just got one of the cheaper (£1000) models and had it delivered. we have been very pleased indeed with it.

Previously had been using the Double-D version
1613726898880.jpeg

We bought one from Decathlon a year ago. We just got one of the cheaper (£1000) models and had it delivered. we have been very pleased indeed with it.

Previously had been using the Double-D version
View attachment 73984

The dog's bikes look lovely!

Wherers yours?:)

I will watch this with interest, often thought VW should get into bed with a Manufacture and sell them colour coded to the van.
That might extend their delivery dates even more :)

Stopping at Highfield Farm, Comberton.

Cycling from Bottisham, stow cum Quy, Newmarket road to the Cam, around the Cam to Bridge street, then out to Comberton, followed by Bourne, Abbotsley, St Neots and out towards Harrold.
In one day?!

We now have both our Brompton fitted with the Swytch conversion, more than pleased with them.
Just now need to how to charge them in the camper whilst on the road other than just on hook up, any advise great appreciate.

We now have both our Brompton fitted with the Swytch conversion, more than pleased with them.
Just now need to how to charge them in the camper whilst on the road other than just on hook up, any advise great appreciate.
I have the Brompton electric and charge it up through the factory inverter while driving or on idle, just have to override the blue motion alternator mode by turning on a significant electrical load on the van like the headlights. The factory inverter on my T6 van seems to be able to deliver much more power than it’s rated spec when operated in this way. The fast charger is rated at 4A but draws much more than this when the battery is low on charge.

From empty to full charge takes around 2.5 hours, and charges the leisure batteries up at the same time, but the bike is not normally that low to start, so it usually takes about 1.5 hours. I also have a small Honda generator which works too. My van is petrol so I’m happy to run it on idle for long periods as I have no dpf or egr to worry about.

In one day?!

3 days: Highfield farm to bottisham - and return to Highfield
Highfield to Abbotsley
Abbotsley to as near to Harold as we can get.

Plus a tour of Cambridge and hopefully enough of a rest on that day to allow the inevitable swelling in Jo's knees to lessen a little bit.

3 days: Highfield farm to bottisham - and return to Highfield
Highfield to Abbotsley
Abbotsley to as near to Harold as we can get.

Plus a tour of Cambridge and hopefully enough of a rest on that day to allow the inevitable swelling in Jo's knees to lessen a little bit.
Sounds wonderful! Pm us with dates and I'll book it in, sounds like fun.

Apart from the Brompton has anyone got a folding electric bike they can recommend. As I an Caliless at the moment I would like a couple of folding bikes to put in the boot of our car when towing our folding camper.

I have never really got on with folding bikes preferring a full size frame but thought electric may be a better option when away.

We bought an Eovolt Confort recently and love it, the battery is in the seat post which I like, the wheels are 20” and good for all sorts of tracks. Good range up to 100k. It is on the heavy side but I think they all are, and the folded size is on the bigger end of foldable bikes. But so far it’s been brilliant.

One that seems to be highly regarded is the Tern. Expensive, and not as compact folded, but reputedly it rides more like a larger bike.

One that seems to be highly regarded is the Tern. Expensive, and not as compact folded, but reputedly it rides more like a larger bike.
The Tern Vectron I saw looks great in the shop. Nothing compares to the Brompton for its compact fold though. Bigger wheels give a better ride at the expense of a bigger fold. The Brompton offers many other advantages in my view though.

Back