Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where to go for first trip?

FlyingFred

FlyingFred

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi all,

We are taking delivery of our new cali on Tuesday :D and I am looking at planning our first trip.

Home is the West Sussex/Surrey border.

There are the two of us (adults) and a dog and I would like to find somewhere, maybe in the New Forest or Norfolk, but happy to consider anywhere recommended. Lots of places on our list to visit but for the first one we thought not too far. I've followed the Cornwall thread and some of those sites sound good as well.

We would prefer smaller rather than larger sites, love nature, wildlife and generally being out in this beautiful country of ours (when it's not raining!)

Any recommendations/ideas? :thanks

Yes redshoot is good with a microbrewery pub at entrance. Beware it gets very full with familys & kids in holidays.

If you prefer small, quiet sites then I would suggest joining the caravan club - if you haven't already. Their CL sites can be not much more than a tiny field with enough space for a toilet block and a handful of vans.

Even though we have kids, I much prefer these small sites to noisy, family-friendly sites.

For one of our first trips we stayed at a CL near Lulworth Cove, and we were the only campervan there. We explored the coastline around Durdle Door, which was very pleasant indeed.

I would also suggest having your first night on the drive, just in case you can't get something to work, or have a problem (like trying to spin the driver's seat the first time without ripping off the steering wheel or wrecking the van! Maybe that was just me!!)

Simon

Cross check doors and prepare for departure...

Thanks everyone and keep 'em coming.

muttley said:
If you prefer small, quiet sites then I would suggest joining the caravan club - if you haven't already. Their CL sites can be not much more than a tiny field with enough space for a toilet block and a handful of vans.

Even though we have kids, I much prefer these small sites to noisy, family-friendly sites.

For one of our first trips we stayed at a CL near Lulworth Cove, and we were the only campervan there. We explored the coastline around Durdle Door, which was very pleasant indeed.

I would also suggest having your first night on the drive, just in case you can't get something to work, or have a problem (like trying to spin the driver's seat the first time without ripping off the steering wheel or wrecking the van! Maybe that was just me!!)

That sounds like the sort of thing we are after. Small quiet sites sound good. Does the Caravan & Camping Club have CL sites as well as I was leaning more towards that one. I could always join both of course.

The night on the drive was already in the plan.

FF

Californiaman said:
Cross check doors and prepare for departure...

:lol: :lol:

:goodone

Our first trip was in a loan van and was the new forest - http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/ have loads of options down there. We used Holmsley which is an old airfield so very flat and has good facilities. There is a chain of pubs in the new forest which are dog friendly - http://www.newforestpubcompany.co.uk/ - we used the Burley Inn and Rising Sun, both offer good pub grub, good service and have nice brown beer :)

Lots of the campingintheforest sites are good, but check facilities as not all of them have toilets and showers.

We are going for our first trip in our own van tonight - http://www.orchardcampsite.co.uk/ - will let you know how we get on.

T

We were at Holmsley not so long back. It is on an old WWII airfield with an amazing history. If you go, make sure to buy the little book at reception...!

We regularly use the camping in the forest sites, our favourite is Roundhill as you can normally find a spot away from anyone else. Also good cycle rides and plenty of ponies and cattle on the actual campsite... Just don't leave any food unattended.

Lovely woodland site at Graffham, good walks and. Pubs nearby

Camping & caravan club site at Corfe Catle is superb. We have two dogs and find Durdle Door perfect. Not a fruit machine or Mcdonalds in site.

Thanks everyone - I'll certainly check a few of those out.

I've got the Cali now. See my separate topic on first impressions.

FF

We headed straight for Norway and the fjords when we got our first Cali. Gorgeous scenery. Free camping on private land (by law so most farmers put an area aside), drive in daylight until you feel like stopping, blueberries everywhere, lovely people, English spoken everywhere, cheap salmon, wild strawberries, cheap fuel and easy winding flat roads broken by short ferry hops. Norway is the most camper friendly country in Europe.

ps. Fill up on booze in Germany

Always wanted to go to Norway and never made it for various reasons (the last time I failed, we were a day away from starting a Fjordland cruise with Hurtigruten when the engine failed on the ship!) I shall start a new http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=4571 to gather some intel... I would be v.interested to hear more..

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd let you know where we chose. We are currently in the New Forest, having spent the last two nights at Roundhill. Great campsite with free-roaming ponies and good clean showers/toilets. We have moved to Hollands Wood, another Camping in the Forest site, which looks equally good.

Next week we are trying out the Mason's Arms. Luvin' the Cali.