Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tell me where to go!

Ricotansky

Ricotansky

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all,

We are off for our first trip abroad in the van in a couple of weeks. Initially we are off to Bordeaux and we'll be staying near Carcans at first, but after that I'm not sure where to go.

I've been a bit slack in the planning and the trip is now imminent! I've been doing a bit of googling, but there are so many options I don't know where to start, so...

Has anyone got any recommendations for places to go that will get us back to Calais after two weeks? Priorities are quiet, scenic sites, after that anything goes.

A lot of sites close before we get back so I need to find places that will still be open late sept/early oct too.

Sorry that this is rather vague, my previous holiday planning involved booking a gite, so a campervan trip opens a whole load of new possibilies. It's just narrowing these down a bit I'm struggling with!

Cheers!

We just wing it and have done twice for over a month now.
But your time of year is a bit more restrictive; however there are SO many campsites and aires, you should be fine. Join ACSI; very cheap, you get a great book of approved sites and mega discounts too. We use it as a rough guide when travelling.

The Loire valley is great, Britanny is lovely and the Dordogne is amazing. Biarritz is great too but maybe a bit far?

Isle de Re, opposite La Rochelle. 10villages connected by a massive off road cycle/walking paths. Highest point on Island 19ft above high tide level. Many campsites, we stayed at Camping Interlude on south side, the sandy beach side. N side more rocky but has the harbours.

Thanks guys, some good ideas there, I'll investigate further!

I did try to get the acsi book, but they have sold out for this year now, doh! We have the ID card though so hopefully can bag some bargains.

You might still be able to download the 2014 version of the app (great on an iPad, I'm not sure what other versions are available. This gives you off line access to the whole contents of the book and some clever filters, so for example you can search just for sites that are open on a particular range of dates. Highly recommended.

Alternatively if you have Internet access you can use the website, which from memory I think is eurocampings.eu, which covers both the discount and non discount sites.

The Alan Rogers app is also handy