Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Planning our first trip to Spain and France

S

Simonandvivien

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We have had our van now for 3mths and are enjoying trips away in the UK. With the nights drawing in we are starting to plan our first trip in Europe. Probably out to Santander (Brittany Ferries) and back via Le Harve (LD Lines) over a fortnight.

Any pearls of wisdom, things we need to take, avoid, pitfalls, etc......?

Many thanks

We did 5 weeks in Spain and France back in June - did the Santander ferry too. It might be a little bumpy this time of year but the boat (Pont Aven - DO NOT go on the other one!) really is amazing and was a major part of the trip.

Not sure how many campsites will be open - even in June, a few had only just opened up. Get an ACSI card - off season discount card that saves a lot on site fees, especially in Spain. They send you a guide book listing all sites and it's about £10 - bargain!

Not sure where you plan to go but that coast is great and if you like mountains, both the Picos and Pyrenees are nearby. If you like the sea, St Jean de Luz and Biarritz are great.

Take serious weather gear - it's very changeable in that part of the country and pack a roof cover. We use a Pucer.

We found all but two campsites had normal three pin hook up - no issues with inverters or anything at all.

And enjoy!

First time abroad in the Cali or first time driving abroad? Do you know about the legal requirements? (light beam deflectors, refelective vests to hand, breathalyzers etc)

Avoid tolls roads for a better experience, take a good torch! (the new CREE LED ones are brilliant) head torches are brullian at this time of year too!

I think a lot of campsites are closing now but you'll find somewhere... some of the aires are brilliant but avoid the ones right near the coast (ideally I like to find one with other vans in..)

Thanks, just to clarify because I wasnt clear:
1. driven in Europe before so happy with all of that, including having the Breathalyzers, HiVis, etc....
2. planning the trip for Sept 14. Unfortunately lack of holidays prevents going over now

In that case, a credit card and a sense of adventure is all that is needed :D

We are currently doing the opposite journey. I am typing this just north of Biarritz.

I spent quite a bit of time researching campsites which are open out of season.

There appears to be a few that are open all year, some close on the 31/10 and some on 11/11. So we are sailing close to the wind on some of them.

I have a spreadsheet with my research on if you would like a copy - send me a PM - :thumb

We haven't booked any campsites and have just shown up on the nights.

These are the nights so far:

Night 1 - South of La Rochelle - http://www.campinglabrande.co.uk - on Ile d'Oléron. The Ile d'Oléron is a major campsite destination and is full of them - and muscles and oyster farms. The camp site is a little old around the edges, but people were lovely and has a heated indoor swimming pool and crazy golf - so popular with the kids.

Night 2 - http://www.camping-bordeaux.com/ - camp site on the edge of Bordeaux so great location. Close to the city by not loud, but was busy - was full of motorhomes. Very clean and tidy. Appeared to have a nice restaurant but we didn't use that.

Night 3 - http://www.camping-arcachon.com/ - in the Arachon Basin near the big sand dune. Very nice site with Nice pizza restaurant on site, again very clean showers and toilets :)

Night 4 - http://www.camping-du-lac.fr/ - I am here now - again very nice site near a Lake. Has the best childrens play park by a mile, but other facilities are closed (restaurant/pool)

Next Plans are Biarritz, Bilbao and Santander. Most nights cost between 20 and 25 Euros, for 2 adults, 2 kids and the van - we don't bother with Electric as we are only one or two nighting.

Weather is pretty good, if it clear during the day then it gets cold at night. If you get a bit of rain then it is warmer. Generally 15-20C during the day. We pop the hearing on in the morning to help us out of bed.

Go for it.

Tony

Thanks for your feedback Tony, appreciated and gives us something to look at.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Simon

On the ferry now. 24hrs is a looooong time bring plenty of books :)

You must go to bilbao the building is amazing. Also we took the coastal road from Bordeaux south and it is lovelly. Especially in north spain :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk