Where to find Good simple recipes

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I've been looking around the forum hoping to find some inspiration for easy recipes to cook in (and next to) my Cali. Have a missed an obvious section or post?

I'm ideally hope to get a few recipes that are fast to prepare, require few ingredients, are reasonably healthy. If some of the ingredients are long-life and can be kept in the van between trips, then that's even better! I'd just need to buy a few fresh things and pop them in the fridge and go.

I'm often camping on my own (plus the dog) so won't be doing anything fancy, but think I can do better than the tinned M&S Chilli and Tilda pre-cooked rice (etc) that I eat too often in the van.

When we (me-wife and dog ) go out for a copple of days , always take the leftovers from the homekitchenfridge and some homemade soup or spagettisaus out the freezer , easy to warm up and all made with fresch ingrediends at home!
It al depends on how many michelin stars you prefer for you dinners :mrgreen:
Try to remember (write down) whats missin' and take it allong the next time.
Suc6

There is a BBC cookbook called one pot recipes with is ok. Is small as well, so handy to carry.

We tend to make things up based on what we have available :D We like to stop off at farm shops and small places to pick things up along the way.

Saturday night's dinner was cooked in a dutch oven and was:

chopped onions and mushrooms fried for a while. I also added a chopped rash of bacon at this point.

Once onion is looking done and all liquid from 'shooms has boiled away, add a load of chopped up chicken (no bones).

Once the chicken has browned and is mostly cooked through, pour in cider. I poured in a bottle, not sure if it was 330ml or 500, but anyway, was making enough for 4 servings. Cover and leave cooking for 20 mins or so. Uncover for a bit 5 mins or so and carry on cooking.

Stir in a couple of tablespoons of creme fraiche (or yoghurt or cream or whatever you have) and a couple of teaspoons of mustard.

Serve with whatever you fancy. Rice works well.

Proper lovely, although matches none of your criteria :D

Mmm, you're making me hungry - sounds delicious!

The Camper cookbook is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camper-Van-Cook ... 1444703897

We cook a lot in the van (or outside on a camping burner when it's warm) and manage pretty well. Curries, chillies, risottos, various pasta dishes; all easy to do and hit the spot nicely!

I've been laughed at here but we use a Le Creuset pot (a small one) as just cook food so much better than a flimsy pan!

Thanks for your replies so far!

I think the high-end is quite well catered for.....I've looked at the other books by the author and whilst I love the idea of building a menu around the shellfish I've found on the beach or fresh roadkill and supplementing it with berries and mushrooms picked from the roadside :crazy it doesn't reflect the reality of most of my camping experiences, which is more like spotting an Aldi within a few miles of the campsite on a rainy dark night and wondering what I can throw together.

Not sure if they still do them, but Sainsburys used to have these little free "meal idea" or "meal for a fiver" cards, about A6 size?. Each one was a recipe and shopping list. Some pretty easy to cook stuff there.

Although the Mrs has never forgiven me for following the baked Gnocchi recipe. Apparently that is not how it should be cooked.

This may sound simple, but it's relatively quick and tastes lovely.

For two,

Some cheaper cut beef filet (the thin end, usually around £20/kg), not much is needed, usually around £4 to £5
Packet uncooked prawns
Packet cheap cherry toms
Waxy new potatoes
Thin green beans
Butter

Put the spuds on to boil n a pot for 25 mins
Put green beans onto boil after 10 mins
6 mins before spuds cooked, move the beans off the heat, keep covered and melt some butter in a pan and put in 1 inch slices of the beef filet to brown for 3 mins each side after seasoning with salt and pepper
Drain the spuds and put on a plate
Melt some butter and put in the cherry toms to fry and keep tossing
At same time, put the beef filet on a plate and fry the prawns in the same pan for 30 secs each side with a bit more freshly ground pepper, once cooked, turn off the heat and put the beef in the prawn pan and mix
Drain the beans
When the toms are softer and leaking,throw in the spuds and mix together

Serve and enjoy :D

Thanks again Folks. I fear many of you have over estimated my abilities or patience but I'm inspired all the same.
Those T4 forum links are a bit more like I was expecting. You T5 lot are a sophisticated bunch (and you too TwentyOneThirtyFive).
My next thread will be on surviving a 2 week trip with just two pairs of boxer shorts.

wilupo7 said:
My next thread will be on surviving a 2 week trip with just two pairs of boxer shorts.

That one's easy - Merino wool boxers are your friend :D

Back