Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Food for 1st night in France

But has anyone on here actually been stopped at the border, searched and actually had food confiscated. Then been fined had their van confiscated and crushed? Probably not...

But has anyone on here actually been stopped at the border, searched and actually had food confiscated. Then been fined had their van confiscated and crushed? Probably not...
I'm confused @Ozzy Pete....

A few days ago (in another thread) you felt the Dutch and French hated you (the British?) because 'you' were searched a lot by customs...

"Is it just the French and Dutch that hate us so much? What happens to people coming off the ferry in Spain. Are they searched as much?"

Which region of France are you headed too out of curiosity?

I'm confused @Ozzy Pete....

A few days ago (in another thread) you felt the Dutch and French hated you (the British?) because 'you' were searched a lot by customs...

"Is it just the French and Dutch that hate us so much? What happens to people coming off the ferry in Spain. Are they searched as much?"
Let me be clear that French don’t hate the British at all. Quite the contrary, however all the ranting, raving and Union Jack waving around the Brexit have left a bitter taste in France. Media has not helped with all silliness around Jersey for example. 60 year olds in Union Jack hats firing 16th century guns at French fisherman from the ramparts has added to things. Stupid when you think we could unplug Jersey in an instant if we wanted too, but this isn’t the ‘British colonies’ period. Once that all calms down, I expect that ‘sensation’ of not being liked will leave

Let me be clear that French don’t hate the British at all. Quite the contrary, however all the ranting, raving and Union Jack waving around the Brexit have left a bitter taste in France. Media has not helped with all silliness around Jersey for example. 60 year olds in Union Jack hats firing 16th century guns at French fisherman from the ramparts has added to things. Stupid when you think we could unplug Jersey in an instant if we wanted too, but this isn’t the ‘British colonies’ period. Once that all calms down, I expect that ‘sensation’ of not being liked will leave
Same in Spain, the vast majority of people who don't swallow the populist media line haven't changed their opinion of a nation as a whole.

Back to the OP - What I personally miss about the UK is the excellent Gujarati restaurant that was round the corner, and my hometown brewery. So a takeaway warmed on the hob and a couple of bottles of best bitter in the fridge parked up for the night in a quiet Aire would be perfect for me. Not the ones that smell of truckers wee and have their fridge units running all night, plenty of better ones!

Annick Girardin's threat to pull the plug on Schools and hospitals in Jersey was méprisable and in my opinion beneath the French people who I have always found to be warm and welcoming.

Do people even know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit ??
Really?

@Ting Tong I know what it's like, - very handy to stop at a quiet aire for 10 mins rather than faff about on your way.

I have had a look on other sites including Piston Heads where others asked the same question and it seems that currently, apart from a gleeful few Dutch customs staff keen to make an example in January, the practical situation is that your personal food is not being investigated or confiscated. You could always take what you want and plead ignorance if asked - a sensible default approach to stupid situations like this. You can then hand over the dangerous contraband if required and you have pot noodle and beer as backup.

My take on French sandwiches on the Autoroute - they are always made from wet cardboard and boiled egg seems to be more or less compulsory in the filling. Yuk.

1 Jersey has full capacity backup power stations.
2 Does France not recognise the law of contract?

Its 12 hours without any dairy products - I do need milk in the coffee, I understand that even powdered milk is not allowed.

You don't have to bin it coming home, the rules on what you can bring back in have not changed.
Oh I do understand your pain... No dairy products for 12 hours...if you can’t manage it the answer is just don’t go or If they find some dried milk powder in your van just tell them it’s coke...

1 Jersey has full capacity backup power stations.
2 Does France not recognise the law of contract?
Back up is just that, back up.
Just north of Bayonne 1010kms from Calais
gorgeous region, if you don't know it already, you'll love it. You won't go hungry, The South West is renowned even within France for its food and wine. The food, Atlantic Ocean, the Pyrenees and the climate, that region has it all. Not sure if you have driven much in France, but even though French people drive more carefully nowadays, we still have a lot of room for improvements. I'd focus more on a safe drive than the food. Enjoy

Annick Girardin's threat to pull the plug on Schools and hospitals in Jersey was méprisable and in my opinion beneath the French people who I have always found to be warm and welcoming.
there was no serious threat beyond the one the media blew out of proportion to get some ooohh ahhhs, additional views, and sell ad space. Same ridiculousness with the few bored old pensioners firing from the ramparts. Blown out of proportion.

Really?

@Ting Tong I know what it's like, - very handy to stop at a quiet aire for 10 mins rather than faff about on your way.

I have had a look on other sites including Piston Heads where others asked the same question and it seems that currently, apart from a gleeful few Dutch customs staff keen to make an example in January, the practical situation is that your personal food is not being investigated or confiscated. You could always take what you want and plead ignorance if asked - a sensible default approach to stupid situations like this. You can then hand over the dangerous contraband if required and you have pot noodle and beer as backup.

My take on French sandwiches on the Autoroute - they are always made from wet cardboard and boiled egg seems to be more or less compulsory in the filling. Yuk.
i must agree with your wet cardboard and boiled egg comment, but seriously the likes of 'Sodebo' have improved a lot during the last 5 years. Its definately not up to M&S standards yet if you like British like sandwiches in sliced bread, we have not mastered the art of the British loaf here. On the positive side, you will find more and more 'Aires d'Autoroute' have a 'Paul' bakery. These French style bakeries are an excellent alternative salads in wet cardboard packages. If you see the 'Paul' sign and a hungry, its worth a stop.

beautiful region, you'll love it
Agreed. Most summers we’re up and down that stretch of coast - I’m about 40min away but currently the wrong side of the border, haven’t been across since last August. You could get over for the day if you lived <30km from the border but now Spain is red so I doubt that’s still the case.

Anyway; Paul’s pretzels (insert drooling homer gif)

Its 12 hours without any dairy products - I do need milk in the coffee, I understand that even powdered milk is not allowed.

You don't have to bin it coming home, the rules on what you can bring back in have not changed.

Not yet, because the U.K. hasn’t implemented controls on entry from the EU that it applies to the rest of the world - but will by the end of 2021. Don’t know if there will be any concessions, but as they stand, the UK rules for bringing in plant and animal products to the UK from third countries are exactly the same as the EUs rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@CaliAzur we’ve been every year apart from 3 since ‘99 (sailing on lake Soustons). Sadly the campsite is all mobile homes now but we still go and it’s a safe bet under the current circumstances.

@bob_summers yes I was thinking that our usual trips into Spain might be difficult this year.

E98D27EE-14B2-48A9-8547-F68702DAF6AE.jpeg

Great picture, then you know French food just as well as I do finally, and the road down far better :thumb. Weather has been more unsettled and cooler than usual for July, but is improving. Have fun.

@BobSummer
Hi Bob, cross border checks with Spain are in place, they were on the news just a couple of nights ago, but if your vaccinations and papers are in order, you should be fine. If not, then I don’t recommend risking any cross border travel between France and Spain this year. I am planning on taking my new Cali to Galicia in September if it’s arrived by then, so I will have to check for myself also

@CaliAzur we’ve been every year apart from 3 since ‘99 (sailing on lake Soustons). Sadly the campsite is all mobile homes now but we still go and it’s a safe bet under the current circumstances.

@bob_summers yes I was thinking that our usual trips into Spain might be difficult this year.

View attachment 81398
French sites filling up with Statics & Cabins was why we gave up touring and bought a house. Final straw was being given a pitch next to the bins.
Fully understand the Site Business reasons. Seemed to start in the late 80's and then become the norm after 2000.

Great picture, then you know French food just as well as I do finally, and the road down far better :thumb. Weather has been more unsettled and cooler than usual for July, but is improving. Have fun.

@BobSummer
Hi Bob, cross border checks with Spain are in place, they were on the news just a couple of nights ago, but if your vaccinations and papers are in order, you should be fine. If not, then I don’t recommend risking any cross border travel between France and Spain this year. I am planning on taking my new Cali to Galicia in September if it’s arrived by then, so I will have to check for myself also
As I understand, Spain (or at least most communties with in) is red, so entry to France is for essential travel only even if vaccinated.
Colleagues who work cross-border hadn't been stopped once previously, not sure if controls are now stepped-up.

Has anyone actually traveled to Europe and been searched. I don’t mean a friend of a mate how knew someone. I mean someone on here who has personally been there and been searched with food confiscated.
I travelled to Spain(Santander) on 24th.June and didn't get searched.

As I understand, Spain (or at least most communties with in) is red, so entry to France is for essential travel only even if vaccinated.
Colleagues who work cross-border hadn't been stopped once previously, not sure if controls are now stepped-up.
They are, but the roads are saturated, and the cant stop everyone, its already 'le bordel' lol

We are driving to Denmark very soon and I always take the in-laws Marks and Spencers vacuum packed slow cooked beef. What are the repercussions if they find a few packets hidden in the van?

We are driving to Denmark very soon and I always take the in-laws Marks and Spencers vacuum packed slow cooked beef. What are the repercussions if they find a few packets hidden in the van?
Always better to be honest and declare it if challenged. Most likely they will just put it in the bin.

If you tell them that you don't have anything then the risk is that they will search your entire van/person for other 'hidden packages', which might delay your trip and make a mess of your van.

Last edited:
Back