Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where do you keep your fridge?

Hi @Borris

Thats really helpful. Im interested to know the opinion of the forum on what we should do. Picking up a 3 seat beach in 2 weeks time and want it ready to do trips etc (looks like UK trips this year). This will be our only car and Borris my wife saw your pics and now has her head turned by the slide out tray.

I anticipate the van will spend 99% of the time with the bench as far forward as possible with a huge boot area for days out etc. Kids bikes/trailer/buggy can be put in the back. I would like the tent we are going to purchase and a fridge to live permanently under the mulitflex - saves me having to lug them around and also means they are dry etc. Tent pack size is 96 x 42 x 42. Fridge we are debating larger dual compartment or the CFX35 - we like to go somewhere and then not drive as much as possible. Happy to pick up little bits but really only want to be going to supermarket every few days tops.

When we go on holiday as a family of 5 bench will stay forward and the tent furniture, bags etc will go in the boot. We are going to get Cabbunk twins for the front seats, 2 year old up top and me and the wife sleep downstairs. Van has a tow bar for 4 bikes and the 5th child bike (when shes big enough) will come inside too. Will get some Van Essa bags, seat back storage but really we are thinking about the best box solution that I can just grab out the garage and put in the back of the van with kitchen stuff etc. The pull out tray looks great but Im not sure how much it adds etc and, as the van will be used as a large estate (plus mountain bike days out for me etc) Im worried it will get it in the way and get damaged. There will also be the odd occasion where my wife and go just the two of us (he says) where we will probably try and live out the van - sleep upstairs and have the bench forward downstairs a bit round the table etc.

The potential fridge is the CFX3 65DZ so think it will fit under the multiflex and then stick out a bit. Its also hard to know the dimensions of the boot with the seat pushed forward! We do have seats 6/7 but these will live out the van - occasionally we use them to take cousins etc on holiday to cottages etc to camping stuff can then come out the car. I was going to get the Zonesleep ultra as a top mattress as it can just stay in and was thinking the same for the bottom but would like a solution thats both really comfortable and doesnt take up much space. The alternative is something like the Reimo blow up mattress.

Sorry long post with lots of questions - any help appreciated!

Tim
I think the CFX 40 also fits under the multiflex but please check. The only only difference is it's slightly taller with a slightly greater capacity.

The pull out tray is a real game changer. Unless you have one it's a case of burrowing into the back of the boot whilst kneeling , usually on wet grass. Not pleasant.

The Van Essa bags are also brilliant.

Thanks Borris.

Do you know the dimensions of the boot with the seat forward in the sleeping position? I would then push the multiflex right back I think most of the time.

I've looked at the tent and its 90 x 42 x 42 so i imagine will fit under the multiflex board with some stuff down the side. The fridge would then go sideways down the side of the van. The 65l is 495 wide and 892 deep.

I just want to make sure that we have room for everything...

My fridge goes in the cab behind the passenger seat, and also doubles as a foot rest or even a stool. Fits fine under the table when its out too.

Can also have it setup in the awning if I want it out of the cab area.

I have a slidepod so it can't go in the boot but I guess it could also go on the multiflex top when not travelling, but Ive never felt the need.

We spent a full year touring Europe in our van with two boys 2 & 3, later 3 & 4, and initially two dogs, later one. I spent many long drives pondering how to make packing and unpacking easier.

We had similar choices to @Borris at about the same time. Borris went for the slide out tray to maximise convenience, we went for the plywood crates to maximise capacity. It would be worth digging out the thread where Borris and I discussed the matters. I think that I have ~20% more boot capacity under the Multiflex by not having the slide out drawer: I use the space above the wheel arches, I use the space either side behind the multiflex frame, I use the right-angled triangular space behind the sloping bench seat, I use the space that the slide out drawer takes up.

We have the CFX28 (about 28 litres). It is perfectly adequate for four for four nights, but no space to chill carbonated drinks initially (though you’ll get a bottle of wine or a couple of beers in). I wouldn’t say it is any better or worse than a larger capacity fridge. The CFX range is superb and the trade off is between capacity and the space they take up in the van. On camping trips our fridge is strapped behind the front passenger seat for easy access, but can also go in the boot strapped to the multiflex frame or in the awning. Wherever it is placed it is hardwired to the leisure battery. Using the 12v sockets can be unreliable.

If you have bikes on the back, dismiss any idea of having access to the boot when the bikes are loaded. That would include getting you lunch from the fridge on a slide out drawer at a picnic spot between campsites. However, you may be able to get five bikes on a four rail carrier if three bikes are children’s bikes. We loaded three pedal bikes and one balance bike on three rails and a folded double child trailer on the fourth rail.

Vanessa window bags are excellent.

The lower bed is huge and will easily take an adult and two children. In an emergency, e.g. extreme wind with the top down, you’ll be able to have an uncomfortable night with all five of you in it, three children one end two adults between them the other end.

We’ve tried all sorts of sleeping configurations, and have had an adult and two boys in the upper berth, and a 6 foot adult on the unmade bench seat.

I have a blog of our travels around 33 European countries.
www.au-revoir.eu

Thanks Borris.

Do you know the dimensions of the boot with the seat forward in the sleeping position? I would then push the multiflex right back I think most of the time.

I've looked at the tent and its 90 x 42 x 42 so i imagine will fit under the multiflex board with some stuff down the side. The fridge would then go sideways down the side of the van. The 65l is 495 wide and 892 deep.

I just want to make sure that we have room for everything...
Unlike on the two seat version, the Multiflex on the three seat Beach is a nice piece of kit in that it can be shortened to make maximum use of the interior space. I'm not quite sure what dimensions you are after. The dimensions of the boot with the rear bench made up as a bed would only be of interest if you travel in bed mode. In which case there is stacks of room beneath the multi flex and forward of it but behind the bench base. . If you can clarify I will endeavour to measure and respond. Here are some snaps of our previous Beach showing the space and versatility.

20190728_094339.jpgScreenshot_20191026-234004_Gallery.jpg20190728_101602.jpg20190728_102724.jpg

Hi Borris

In your top left picture - whats the measurement behind the seat to the boot lip?

Beyond the tray - what would be the gap from the tray to the back of the seat as its positioned in the top left? Can you push the multiflex board all the way forward to the back of the seat as well I assume if you wanted?

Im also interested to know the height from your tray to underneath the multiflex board - to see whether a 40L will fit height wise.

Packing decisions!

Thanks

Tim

The first measurement is around 1500mm.

The second measurement depends on what size tray you order. Calicap sell them in several different lengths including 600, 700, 800 and 1000 mm. The 1000 is too long unless you have the seat as in the photo you mentioned but it would have to be removed if you wanted virtually any other configuration.The 600 is too short to be of any real use. That leaves the 700 and 800 versions. After numerous measurements and stowage tests, I discovered that to maintain the perfect balancing act between providing maximum tray usefulness whilst not compromising the Beaches flexibility, one to have is the 700. Please note that the club shop now sells pull out trays made in house, but I don't know what size they are. They appear to be well made and are considerably cheaper. Anyway the second measurement/usable gap is roughly 600mm with the 700 Calicap tray fitted.

Please note that these measurements are approximate. Precise measurements would obviously depend on where precisely you park the bench seat. So don't hold me to them.

The Multiflex can be pushed all the way forward to any position behind the parked bench if you so desire. If necessary it can be shortened by operating a catch underneath or removed altogether.

The clearance from the Calicap to beneath the Multiflex allowing for the hardware that's fixed beneath appears to be 440mm providing that you position the fridge as I have done. The clearance may be less elsewhere due to other more obstusive fittings.

Hello!

We are new beach owners and have just bought a fridge. The multiflex board stand is in the way of the 12v socket in the boot but I really want to plug it in there!

I’d rather transport a fridge full of beer back there but want to keep it plugged in.

I don’t want to slide the whole lot forward because I want to be as far away from my children as possible!AFF53CCF-D92B-464E-8C82-EC6E5667846C.jpeg

Any tips?

Jack

Im no expert but can you replace that black knob with a smaller or detachable one?

Hello!

We are new beach owners and have just bought a fridge. The multiflex board stand is in the way of the 12v socket in the boot but I really want to plug it in there!

I’d rather transport a fridge full of beer back there but want to keep it plugged in.

I don’t want to slide the whole lot forward because I want to be as far away from my children as possible!View attachment 59618

Any tips?

Jack

Slide the MFB out the way, plug in the fridge & then slide the MFB back into the original position. There should be just enough space for the back of the plug/wire.

Either move the Multiflex slightly because 25mm really won't make that much difference (best option) or feed the cable through to the socket that most people don't use. The one on the interior trim just inside the sliding door under the bench seat. I'd be surprised if your lead wouldn't easily reach that socket.

Looking at where you have your Multiflex positioned it must be almost touching the tailgate!

Hello!

I don’t want to slide the whole lot forward because I want to be as far away from my children as possible!View attachment 59618

Any tips?

Jack

You could consider this option for the socket in the boot

Great thanks everyone, I’ll have a fiddle about with it and look at that splitter.

Either move the Multiflex slightly because 25mm really won't make that much difference (best option) or feed the cable through to the socket that most people don't use. The one on the interior trim just inside the sliding door under the bench seat. I'd be surprised if your lead wouldn't easily reach that socket.

Looking at where you have your Multiflex positioned it must be almost touching the tailgate!

Ha yes it is right at the back, with the rear seat as far back as it will go to free up the cup holders for the boys sitting in the back.
I’ll have a fiddle about with it, thanks for the reply!

Ha yes it is right at the back, with the rear seat as far back as it will go to free up the cup holders for the boys sitting in the back.
I’ll have a fiddle about with it, thanks for the reply!
I was never satisfied with the 12 volt lighter sockets for the fridge. Our CFX28 kept cutting out overnight with voltage drop, recovering once the sun rose and solar topped up the battery.

To overcome this, I hardwired the fridge with good quality cable. We have an anderson connector behind the front passenger seat, an anderson connector in the jack and tool compartment, and an external anderson connector. The fridge can be strapped behind the front passenger seat for readily available chilled picnic items, in the boot for supermarket runs, or in the awning for camping.

Calicap sell them in several different lengths including 600, 700, 800 and 1000 mm. The 1000 is too long unless you have the seat as in the photo you mentioned but it would have to be removed if you wanted virtually any other configuration.The 600 is too short to be of any real use. That leaves the 700 and 800 versions. After numerous measurements and stowage tests, I discovered that to maintain the perfect balancing act between providing maximum tray usefulness whilst not compromising the Beaches flexibility, one to have is the 700.

Calicap dimensions are now showing at 640,740mm or 810mm

I am finding it difficult to make the decision on what length to order. I occasionally want to put the extra 2 seats in, which I think would be impossible with the 800mm. Do they fit in yours with the 700mm one?

However if I get the 740mm one, I couldn't have the Eurocrate type campingkitchen like @Silver5urfer made as that needs two 400mm deep boxes

As we have a tailgate bike rack I might just be better off with a removal pod inside that can house the cooler on slide outs within (I am sure I have seen one of the German companies make one of these) and have the the 740mm tray with eurocrates like you have for items that we don't need as often.

As always it is a compromise!

I am finding it difficult to make the decision on what length to order. I occasionally want to put the extra 2 seats in, which I think would be impossible with the 800mm. Do they fit in yours with the 700mm one?

However if I get the 740mm one, I couldn't have the Eurocrate type campingkitchen like @Silver5urfer made as that needs two 400mm deep boxes

As we have a tailgate bike rack I might just be better off with a removal pod inside that can house the cooler on slide outs within (I am sure I have seen one of the German companies make one of these) and have the the 740mm tray with eurocrates like you have for items that we don't need as often.

I think that you have got to a major reason why we didn't go down the route of a pull out drawer. It is impossible to get one to suit the different configurations of our Beach boot. We regularly use three positions of the bench seat.
  • back to the shortened multiflex for seven seats with adult legroom - 52cm boot*
  • back to the extended multiflex for seven seats with child legroom
  • back to the unmade bed position for five seats - 108cm boot*
* measurement from rear of bench seat to plastic protective trim marking boot loading with the tailgate chair bag.

We'd want a pull out drawer suitable for the boot with the bench in the bed position. But often we have bikes loaded when in that configuration, and the pull out drawer becomes almost useless then as the boot is almost inaccessible.

When camping we unpack much of the boot to the awning and stow the child seats in the area otherwise taken up with our crates.

1590223921553.png

Last edited:

Our Calicap is 760mm, 2 seats fit fine for occasional use. Any greater than this would this would be too tight.

Hello Paul,
I have just measured our tray and it is 740mm although I think from memory it was advertised at the time I purchased it as the 700, but I may be wrong as my memory isn't my best feature.

I seem to remember that the conclusion I came to was that having extra seats and the 840 wasn't possible. When looking to order a Calicap pull out tray, I did some trials to establish which was the best size to go for. My conclusion was that the best compromise was the 700 (740). It's a useful size and doesn't restrict the multi use capability of the van. Anything bigger would. I felt the 600 (640) was too small to be of much use or to justify the expense. The fully loaded tray stays in the van all the time with no issues.

Again from memory, the two swivels do fit with the 700 tray in place although the leg room isn't generous but adequate for all five rear passengers. However, I must stress that the only times that I've used the van seven up since I've had the tray was a couple of holiday trips to Gatwick long stay parking. On those occasions I removed the tray. I suggest that you carry out your own tests with the swivels fitted and occupied by your crew just to reassure yourself before ordering.

Good luck and best wishes
Paul

I think that you have got to a major reason why we didn't go down the route of a pull out drawer. It is impossible to get one to suit the different configurations of our Beach boot. We regularly use three positions of the bench seat.
  • back to the shortened multiflex for seven seats with adult legroom - 52cm boot*
  • back to the extended multiflex for seven seats with child legroom
  • back to the unmade bed position for five seats - 108cm boot*
* measurement from rear of bench seat to plastic protective trim marking boot loading with the tailgate chair bag.

We'd want a pull out drawer suitable for the boot with the bench in the bed position. But often we have bikes loaded when in that configuration, and the pull out drawer becomes almost useless then as the boot is almost inaccessible.

When camping we unpack much of the boot to the awning and stow the child seats in the area otherwise taken up with our crates.

View attachment 59658
Hello Tom,
Calicap does/did do a pull out tray that measures 1000mm. This is ideal if you want to keep the bench in the bed position as you could easily get to anything in the boot from right underneath the bed. Unfortunately, it stops you from using the van in any other configuration. I gonged it off it because it would have spent most of its time gathering dust propped against a wall in the garage. Anyway your set up has been fine tuned to suit your needs so probably no point changing to something that would mean less available space. :thumb

I think the CFX 40 also fits under the multiflex but please check. The only only difference is it's slightly taller with a slightly greater capacity.

I just measure with the tray, the CFX3 45 will not fit if you have a sliding tray. The CFX40 doesn't seem to be available now (replaced by the CFX3 range)

I just measure with the tray, the CFX3 45 will not fit if you have a sliding tray. The CFX40 doesn't seem to be available now (replaced by the CFX3 range)
CFX3 range plus CFX28
ModelRRPDepthHeightWidthCapacityNotes
CFX3 35£749694mm407mm398mm32 Litres
CFX3 45£799694mm476mm398mm40 Litres
CFX3 55£899455mm480mm720mm48 Litres
CFX3 55IM£999455mm480mm720mm46 LitresIce compartment
CFX3 75DZ£1049495mm472mm892mm65 LitresDual compartment
CFX3 95DZ£1249530mm472mm962mm82 LitresDual compartment
CFX3 100£1149530mm472mm962mm88 Litres
CFX28£719620mm425mm342mm26 Litres

The height of the Beach multiflex is 483mm above the boot floor and (from memory) 478mm above the rails. You would need to test the CFX3 55 variants in your van to see if the feet can be positioned either side of the rails to fit. The depth of the Multiflex is 544mm to the lowering bar, and only the CFX28 and CFX3 35 will fit under this. The actual depth of the Multiflex is 590mm, but the 620mm of the CFX28 will fit in a landscape orientation with the sloping bench seat back pushed hard back against the multiflex. The width between the multiflex frame support legs is 1115mm, so it look like all the larger CFX3 variants (75DZ, 95DZ and 100) should fit under the multiflex.

I tried everywhere when I had a Beach.
Found the best was the boot...

View attachment 60195
Hi There,

I've been looking at these pull out draws for my Beach. I have a couple of questions if that's OK?

1. Did you get the draw from CampervanBits and if so, was it the one for the Beach? The reason I ask is because on their website it looks full width of the Beach, i.e. doesn't fit between the Multiflex legs like it does in your picture.
2. What's the depth of your tray?
3. What's the distance between the floor of the tray and the Mulifex above? Just bought a Dometic CFX3 35 and wanted to position like you have.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Last edited:
Back