Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you pack your 3 seater beach?

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
Just back from a fantastic couple of weeks in France with our 3 young children staying on a mix of campsites & Aires. I just wondered if anyone has any packing tips to maximize the space as it often felt that we had lots of pockets of space between the luggage bags & pushchair that felt such a waste? I do need to be able to access clothes by lifting the multiflex from inside to save opening the tailgate because of the 4 bikes on it.

We currently have the multiflex extended for travelling with the main items being 2 luggage bags next to each other, large sports bag with wetsuits etc next to those with the pushchair & silver screens all squeezed on top. Big bag of bedding on the multiflex and then tubtrug with all our towels & wash bags in next to that.

Watching a family of 4 in their beach at Disney, they seemed to use a selection of different sized plastic boxes rather than luggage bags but also then managed to slide them forward easily when making the bed up to fit 2 car seats & 2 buggies under the multiflex! The bags we have don't slide very well.

We might give boxes another go this weekend but if anyone has any other suggestions or packing tips that would be great!

We use a combination of plastic and soft boxes... we also have a boot tidy cheaply available online which works for us.

5 people, pushchairs, bikes, wetsuits, 2 weeks. Crikey!

When I've picked myself up off the floor I'll let you know any tips I might have. Of course one of the big Beach challenges is once established at the campsite (ideally with a driveaway) do you move the seat during the day or leave it in a position that readily folds to the bed?
Driving to/from the campsite, do you maximise boot space or put bulky soft stuff in the cabin?

I have wondered about ways to extend the multiflex even further to create a large double decker boot. I've recently found half or third height (i.e. stackable boxes) for cooking and camping stuff are best as they can also live under the van when camped.

I always put car seats in the foot wells as we're either driving or we're not.

Any advice on cheap, soft, cuboid bags that open wide is greatly appreciated.

Cool box, behind passenger seat.
Bedding on top of multi-flex. e.g pillows, zonesleeper and blankets
Suitcases under multi-flex plus BBQ and usually my wetsuits plus a box of sundries.
Windbreakers, fold seat and place directly behind across the van.
Plates, front seat pockets
Cutlery and BBQ utensils and wet wipes in draw one
Cereals in draw two
More plates, bowls and cups in draw three

Best thing I did was get rid of the Vw cycle rack and instead buy the Atera towbar sliding rack which gives instant access to the tailgate. Which is a must when travelling in such a small van :thumb

All this talk about BBQs wet suits, windbreakers and wetwipes :crazy :mrgreen:

We tried boxes but I think soft bags easier to load. Box of shoes wellies under van when stopped. Fold all bedding onto multiflex board, seat in one position easier each day. Still looking at campervantastic rear window storage but expensive and trying to find an alternative to their bag off rear seat which would work with 3 seat bench. We learn and change with each trip, 3 kids and dog last trip!

Dave bee said:
We tried boxes but I think soft bags easier to load. Box of shoes wellies under van when stopped. Fold all bedding onto multiflex board, seat in one position easier each day. Still looking at cvt rear window storage but expensive and trying to find an alternative to their bag off rear seat which would work with 3 seat bench. We learn and change with each trip, 3 kids and dog last trip!

I have the window bags... Bought direct from California-Camping, they are useful, but expensive!

Like you, we learn on every trip!!

Good to know it's not just us that changes things in every trip. Took us 2 weeks to work out best sleeping arrangements!

We do have the mft euro select box so wellies, BBQ, nappies, wipes, swing ball etc all get thrown in there!

We use our Reimo pantry unit for food storage, under bench drawers for plates & pans etc.

Hadn't thought about boxes that would fit under the van, that's a good idea!

Btw, just thought...
Kettle in box fits just right in gap on 3 seater adj the cubby panel.
Umbrella on floor adj cubby panel.
Levelling chocs with chairs in tailgate.

Loads of bits here and there and like said you learn what's best for you the more you use it.

Also. We used to sleep on the multi & 3seater with our heads at the tailgate end.
Since our last big trip, we decided to try sleeping the other way and it's miles more comfortable. Your shoulders sink into the 3 seater and it's just so much more comfortable.

What way do others sleep...???

James,
Are the bags worth it? Can you get much in them and do they fit to the van well. Keep going back looking at them on line but not found anyone who has them up until now,
Cheers Dave

Dave bee said:
James,
Are the bags worth it? Can you get much in them and do they fit to the van well. Keep going back looking at them on line but not found anyone who has them up until now,
Cheers Dave

I looked at the caddy camper ones in a dealership somewhere and was really impressed, presuming they're pretty much the same. Other than the price, I was put off by the need to stick velcro round the windows to secure them, and because my daughter gets really travel sick I didn't want to block her window.

Our van was an ex rental and they did suggest that the window storage bags were the one item they would highly recommend getting as they had them in their own cali beach.

Dear Cleve,
How have you found the beach with 3 young children. We are considering buying one and have been to look today. We have ruled out the SE given we are a family of 5.

Diane said:
Dear Cleve,
How have you found the beach with 3 young children. We are considering buying one and have been to look today. We have ruled out the SE given we are a family of 5.

It's great. Works brilliantly as my everyday vehicle, a bonus to have snacks, heating, space to play or do homework whilst waiting for swimming or tennis lessons etc. Then we get to go away & have cheap family holidays in it!

I posted this thread about tips for camping & travelling with young children which might be useful depending on your children's ages

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7890

It's still camping at the end of the day so still need to be organised & it's not as comfortable as sleeping at home but it's home from home. We're off to stay with friends for the bank holiday but having the cali gives us our own space & I know the children will settle easily as it's familiar, rather than trying to settle them with their friends in the house & have 3 tired & grumpy children the next day!

We sleep with feet at tailgate - two teenagers down below and we are up on top.
We manage to get four of us and two border collies all happily bedded down for the night. The khyam tent has made a huge difference to the packing - gives us much more space once we've arrived somewhere.
As for packing - fridge goes behind passenger seat - in the back the tent bag slides along left hand side - we have 4 crates that stack perfectly 2 by 2 - one for food, one for towels, half a crate each for clothes - bbq bits go at the back behind the crates.
Helinox chairs go in the tailgate with the other 2 - so all four of us have a seat. (Expensive but the pack size is worth it) All bedding goes onto of the flex board.
like the idea of the chocs in the tailgate too though.

Chocks in the tailgate works really well as you can fully pack the boot and then load the chocks out of the way without having to leave an accessible space. The added bonus for non-bike rack users is it adds just a little bit of extra weight to help shorties and softies pull down the tailgate and also to prevent it coming up at an alarming rate (mind out kids!!!)

Good to know it's not just us that changes things in every trip. Took us 2 weeks to work out best sleeping arrangements!

We do have the mft euro select box so wellies, BBQ, nappies, wipes, swing ball etc all get thrown in there!

We use our Reimo pantry unit for food storage, under bench drawers for plates & pans etc.

Hadn't thought about boxes that would fit under the van, that's a good idea!
I'm keen to purchase a Euro select box. Are you happy with yours? Where did you order it from? Thanks in advance

James,
Cheers Dave

Hi Dave, So sorry for missing your question before.

Pro's
  • Space that is otherwise lost
  • Not something you need to move around in the van, unlike almost everything else :)
  • Really nice quality
Con's
  • The fixing method is fiddly
  • If left in, they will sag after several weeks
  • Although this has never actually happened, I feel they could fall off the fixings.
Hope this helps!

James

James,
Thanks for your reply. Another season and I haven't bought the bags yet! I will probably do the first trip without wish I had bought them and then find they are out of stock! Thanks again Dave

With 3 kids we have the 3 seat bench seat in a position that allows us to convert straight to a bed. This makes it quick and easy but also maximises storage in the boot whilst giving great leg room for the passengers. We then store the awning, pup tent, cool box and all other camping gear including cooker, pots, pans hook up, games etc in 2 really handy boot tidies and there's still room left over. We then store bedding and a bag of clothes each x 5 on top of the boot space so that we can convert to sleeping in over night situations without having to unpack the boot in any way. This means that if we have to do an Aire and its raining, we can just pull up the hand brake and get ready for a nights sleep from the inside only. There's still space behind and in between the front seats and various cubby holes for hand luggage etc. Job done

With 3 kids we have the 3 seat bench seat in a position that allows us to convert straight to a bed. This makes it quick and easy but also maximises storage in the boot whilst giving great leg room for the passengers. We then store the awning, pup tent, cool box and all other camping gear including cooker, pots, pans hook up, games etc in 2 really handy boot tidies and there's still room left over. We then store bedding and a bag of clothes each x 5 on top of the boot space so that we can convert to sleeping in over night situations without having to unpack the boot in any way. This means that if we have to do an Aire and its raining, we can just pull up the hand brake and get ready for a nights sleep from the inside only. There's still space behind and in between the front seats and various cubby holes for hand luggage etc. Job done

Never thought about putting clothes bags on top of the multiflex which actually makes sense as we end up with soggy silver screens and other bits on top of the bedding which isn't ideal. Do you then store them under the void where the backrest is when in bed mode? Do you know what boot tidies you use? Just bought a maclaren stroller and no longer need a high chair so hoping we will travel a little lighter this year!

We leave the 3 children out. Loads more space, peace and quiet ! (it's ok they don't read this forum! )

We leave the 3 children out. Loads more space, peace and quiet ! (it's ok they don't read this forum! )

We have discussed that as an option! My parents collected their SE this week so we figured we could at least send 2 of them off with the grandparents :)

Back