Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When Storing a T6 what is best van cover? and 12v Battery life?

Daniel French

Daniel French

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi there,

I'm the proud new owner of a beautiful VW T6 Ocean, 204, DSG, LED lights, Chrome kit, Acapulco Blue blah blah blah... It's lush, loving it...

But...... I'm running out of driveway space at home, so have put the California in a local secure outside storage facility, during the week / two weeks whilst I'm not using it.

My questions are:-
1. What are the best covers to put over the entire van, am thinking of something like a car cover, that has either some sort of elastic bottom, or something that securely fastens the cover onto the van.
2. How long does the 12v battery last when in storage? roughly..? I just don't want to go to pick up my van for it only to have a flat battery as that'd be annoying!

Thanks so much in advance!

On our old vans we use Just Kampers covers, they are breathable but waterproof and seem to keep the van nice and dry. Much to our surprise they didn't keep the vans clean though and did start to rip at seams after a year or two. I dont use one on the new one because I use it daily.

With regards to vehicle/engine battery, the Cali is alarmed and has various computer systems so will drain the vehicle battery over time. I don't have experience but I would suspect 2 but maybe as many as 4 weeks without starting may be ok. If you can connect it to hook up you should be fine indefinitely.

I've got the Pro-tec cover, not cheap but fits well, really tough and breathable and definitely does the job. Put it away clean and it comes out clean, even months later!
Its made to order/bespoke to the van including whether you have a bike rack/awning or not, has all the straps underneath with velcro access to doors incl. rear. (I think they were on Dragons Den once upon a time?).
No regrets with it but just my 2p, sure there's plenty of other choices out there.

(I bought a grey one initially but after adding the VW bike rack I had to replace it with the green one seen here as it didn't have the room. More planning required! Still got the grey version, will endeavour to put it in the classifieds!)

Hi and welcome , got no cover but do like to have one as my Cali is stored in the winter (not daily driver) as we not use it for weeks. My Cali sits in my garage but still i like to cover it to keep it clean and give it some protection as i already put a scratch on it with my bike...
If you put you Cali in a storage with a healthy and well charged battery(s) for a couple of weeks it should be fine . Once longer than a month i say you need to hook it up on 220v every month for 24h.

17 days parking at Heathrow and started 1st time. No Problem.

Pro-tec for me too. I've had the van underneath the cover with snow, rain, ice and pretty much everything the winter can throw at it.
The Cali was completely dry and because they are breathable covers, no dampness.

If you do use a cover then just make sure the van is squeaky clean before putting the cover on, especially if its in a windy area. If there's dust/grit on the horizontal surfaces then it can damage the paint by the repeated movement of the cover itself.

If you do use a cover then just make sure the van is squeaky clean before putting the cover on, especially if its in a windy area. If there's dust/grit on the horizontal surfaces then it can damage the paint by the repeated movement of the cover itself.

Thats why i want a cover , when i get home from a trip i like to clean the Cali , but as it will be sitting in the garage the next few weeks or months it wil be collecting dust by the time i get it out again .As i use the garage also as a workshop...
@WillSS , can you give the exact details of your cover so i know to look afther that one 100% to fit awning and bike-rack ( not that i got a bike-rack but maybe getting one)
Been looking at the website
http://www.pro-teccovers.co.uk/
But there's no specific one for a Cali , you need to fill in details .
Love to hear how you orderd it.

Last edited:
Thats why i want a cover , when i get home from a trip i like to clean the Cali , but as it will be sitting in the garage the next few weeks or months it wil be collecting dust by the time i get it out again .As i use the garage also as a workshop...
@WillSS , can you give the exact details of your cover so i know to look afther that one 100% to fit awning and bike-rack ( not that i got a bike-rack but maybe getting one)
Been looking at the website
http://www.pro-teccovers.co.uk/
But there's no specific one for a Cali , you need to fill in details .
Love to hear how you orderd it.

Just contact them direct, either by phone or email with your exact requirements.
Pretty sure they are made onsite and they will have the pattern to work from.

I've left mine for 4 weeks over winter with no problems. Leisure batteries dropped to 70%, & starter battery was fine too. If you can easily check on your van whilst it's away from home a cover shouldn't be necessary, just wipe off any bird deposits when you visit it, after all if the van was in daily use it wouldn't be covered.

Totally no experience on this but I use old duvet covers.
WINTER storage:
Wash van and polish
Drain water and waste water
Turn off gas
Blow high pressure air through roof drain holes to clear debris
Remove all kit from van, ie bedding, teabags, etc etc
Place dehumidifier blocks (5) re WG link and recommendation
Back van carefully into middle bay on garage
Throw three old duvet covets over the roof to keep the dreaded spider sing off.

We have just ordered a pro tec from motor home show. So hearing others using it and giving good reports is encouragingly. We paid ÂŁ310 for ours

Last edited:
Reactions: Gos
I've got the Pro-tec cover, not cheap but fits well, really tough and breathable and definitely does the job. Put it away clean and it comes out clean, even months later!
Its made to order/bespoke to the van including whether you have a bike rack/awning or not, has all the straps underneath with velcro access to doors incl. rear. (I think they were on Dragons Den once upon a time?).
No regrets with it but just my 2p, sure there's plenty of other choices out there.

(I bought a grey one initially but after adding the VW bike rack I had to replace it with the green one seen here as it didn't have the room. More planning required! Still got the grey version, will endeavour to put it in the classifieds!)

I would be interested in buying your grey pro-tec cover. Dave 07968993911

I would be interested in buying your grey pro-tec cover. Dave 07968993911

Sorry Dave, Daniel who kicked off this thread has already snapped it up!

Today I tried on my winter cover:
41e4486e2f40a2b9feb71514441bdc5a.jpg

I think it does it job especialy my van is parked next to the exit/entrance.

@sapto , that looks like a good fit , does it had a opening at the sliding door ?
Where did you get it?

Back