Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What ya packin

Changing track (well, species) just a little on the towels question - we now carry one of the new breed (sorry) of dog towels, called an EasiDri. You keep it rolled up in its plastic tube as it works best when already damp. ...
Would presumably work well on humans too but haven't tried that yet. :rolleyes:

We are absolutely dependent on these - we use the 'Aquasorb' brand, and we have four in the van. They're sold for dogs, but we have one for the dog, one for me, one for my wife and one which is used for condensation and for drying off the thermal topper and silver screens if it's been rainy.

They're a good way of moving water around, and in particular, of making sure that, wherever it comes from, most of it stays outside the van rather than inside. Big fluffy towels are nice, and even microfibre ones, but these solve so many of the what-to-do-with-wet-things problems for us that we wouldn't be without them in a small van.

That’s not a bad idea either.
I wonder if packing cubes for clothes under the Bench seat might be best.
I also find the wardrobe not the easiest to get at. Might need a re-gig and try.
We use Eagle creek packing units in the drawer under the bench seat. I put my shirts in one and shorts and trousers in the other then stack one on the other. A smaller one for pants and socks plus a few hankies. We travel lightish thanks to Rohan ( as I've said often before on here, sorry ) and the children long gone and no dogs.
We also keep our Dvd player under there plus books for reading on site. Mrs DoH uses the top cupboard, she's the only one who can open it, (!) and we put big coats in the wardrobe with the wash kits.
We find Bench seat drawer is one of the easiest storage areas to get at.
Hope that helps re the packing cubes,......
David

Yes David.
I like the Rohan T-Shirts. Especially the merino stuff.
Great kit.
Rohan coupled with a North Face down jacket that packs into itself. Great space saving.

Has anyone left any bedding upstairs like a flattened out sleeping bag

Yes some did ....but only once ...finding out the roof was not fully closed driving 80 on the motorway.

Best to leave noting but the matras (coverd in a sheet) on top .
There is very limit space left , a thin blanket/sheet can be left in place but be very cautious!

Thank you I though this would be the answer but curious if anyone has.

If you do leave anything up there then least risky is to keep it in central area of bed, not the edges (the bed base can flex a little in the centre).

But personally I would leave nothing at all up there, beyond just a sheet as HC says. A buckled roof would be a very expensive fix.

We tried it with a sleeping bag and the roof would not close down. Not to be recommended.
We still use the strange internal blinds for the windscreen and front windows that came with van. A bit like a flat tent stiffened with carbon fibre rods. Once built (read the instructions carefully!) we keep them erected. For travel they can easily be passed through the opening over the front seats to sit on the top bed quite safely.
I hope that made sense......

Back