Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

West Coast Scotland Recommendations

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
Planning an extended trip over Easter this year, we are heading to the Lake District for a few days and now planning to head to Scotland also.

Thinking somewhere in/near fort William so we can bag Ben Nevis.

Never spent any time in Scotland so recommendations welcome.

:thanks

We are heading up for two weeks in May. We plan to do some of the Jarvik reach places in the west. Have visited Scotland many times in the past on motorbikes and in cars but only one so far in the van when we toured the outer Hebrides. I can't recommend any specific sites but can say that it will be great without a doubt!

*Jarvik reach = 'hard to reach' (without spoll chucker)

There is a campsite right at the base of Ben Nevis that looks okay, haven't stayed there but saw it from the path up :) Guess it is this one: http://www.glen-nevis.co.uk.

We stayed in the C&CC site at Glen Coe when we passed through, which was nice enough. Great views.

Plenty of info on our West Coast tour on our blog. We'll go again at some point, main difference would be we would wild camp more - lot's of spectacular spots :)

HTH,
dan

Stayed on that site last May. Very good facilities and excellent location both for the town and for Ben Nevis.Have a good trip.

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
There is a campsite right at the base of Ben Nevis that looks okay, haven't stayed there but saw it from the path up :) Guess it is this one: http://www.glen-nevis.co.uk.

We stayed in the C&CC site at Glen Coe when we passed through, which was nice enough. Great views.

Plenty of info on our West Coast tour on our blog. We'll go again at some point, main difference would be we would wild camp more - lot's of spectacular spots :)

HTH,
dan

Thanks Dan, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and the adventures of Bettybus. Inspired me to get organised and get further afield than our regular haunts.

Is Ben Nevis on the west coast? Several good ones on Skye

Sites for Ben Nevis
The site in Glen Nevis is excellent (the link is in an above post): a good shop, good service blocks and OK food/drink available on site with bar food and restaurant food options. The slog up the Ben starts 300 yards from the site opposite the Youth Hostel. The path is easily followed in bad mist but take a good map to get the bifurcations right.
I did it once overnight to watch the sunrise from the top but there was too much rain cloud.

There is an excellent Inn (Ben Nevis Inn I think?) 1/4 mile from the site and at the true bottom of the Ben Nevis path (the path from the Youth Hostel joins the main path about 1/2 mile from the real start of the path where the Inn is). The beer in the Inn is very good and the food is of a high quality. There's no point in going into Fort William for food if you want quality: the Inn is nearer and better. Quaintly rustic with a mix of tourists just got out of cars with their freshly ironed mountain clothes and climbers having just done the trip, manky knackered and very thirsty.

A word of warning, though: the winds coming down the glen can often be severe. Nomatter how well you secure your awning, it will not survive - so wind it in when away from the van.

Enjoy

I'm originally from Fort William and know the campsite has a good reputation. I would definitely book as it can get very busy and May time is really popular before the midges arrive! Can recommend the Ben Nevis Inn too - can be accessed on foot too as there is a foot bridge across the river just along from the campsite. Good place to eat in Fort William itself s the Grog and Gruel. If you're in the area for a few days there are some great beaches with sites at both Arisaig and Morar about 35-40 miles away to the west along the A830.

beardie said:
Is Ben Nevis on the west coast? Several good ones on Skye

Well spotted :oops:

I started thinking west coast, and started typing. Then I started thinking Ben Nevis, still typing and without checking my geography :doh

Our west coast tour started in Inverness...

Not Ben Nevis area I know but....I'd recommend Kintail Lodge Hotel/Bunkhouses - excellent. :clap
Probably let you stay overnight on site aswell - very hospitable.
Area - Kyle of Localsh nr Skye and 5 Sisters of Kintail
Paul

I've not had a chance to stay at it yet, but the Applecross campsite has got to be in one of the most glorious locations in the country. If you're in that general region, I'd recommend a visit to Plockton too - the perfect 18th century fishing village. Of course, you should also explore the northern tip of Skye if you can.

If you want somewhere a little less far north, I adore the Fidden Farm campsite on the south west corner of Mull. Heavenly. That's where we're going when we pick up our new Toffee Brown California very soon!

Have fun!

Simon

We are thinking of going that way this year - when is the midge season, though? Only fallen foul of them once at Crianlarich a few years ago, but they made life hell!

DoubleWah said:
I've not had a chance to stay at it yet, but the Applecross campsite has got to be in one of the most glorious locations in the country. If you're in that general region, I'd recommend a visit to Plockton too - the perfect 18th century fishing village. Of course, you should also explore the northern tip of Skye if you can.

If you want somewhere a little less far north, I adore the Fidden Farm campsite on the south west corner of Mull. Heavenly. That's where we're going when we pick up our new Toffee Brown California very soon!

Have fun!

Simon

The campsite, itself, is fairly ordinary in my opinion (and sometimes a bit boggy - it rains a lot in Applecross) but it has an excellent cafe/restaurant on site in a sort of greenhouse/conservatory with good food, bar and play area. A 5-minute walk gets you to the Applcecross Inn with fabulous sea food from F&Cs to lobster. Eating is in the bar or bar extension and the beer's good. The inland drive to Applecross (not the coast route) is simply the most stunning 12 mile drive in the UK. There's a 30 minute walk across the bay (when the tide's out) to a very interesting heritage centre, too. I've been to Applecross quite a few times with the Cali but it's always been rainstormy - you sort of get used to it, though. It's a wellies rather than hiking boots sort of place.
A stunning location, indeed ...

This is the view from Applecross campsite...

ee5a45b6.jpg

...would be a lot nicer without the statics :?

I'll agree with everything else said though. We didn't try the inland route, thought it might be a bit much for the old girl, but the coastal route is great as well.

The Coral beach is a nice walk, a chance to spot otters (we didn't), seals (spent ages watching them) and the beach is lovely.

dan

Midges are about anytime from May to late September - you can be lucky if we have cold frosty weather well into May. Try to choose a place where you might get a bit of a breeze to help keep them away too! :evil: Can recommend Avon Skin so Soft spray oil - think it blocks the pores rather than an actual repellent - lots of shops in the Highlands now sell it :smile

Here are some photos of our last visit to Fidden Farm (in a lovely 70s rental bus). Next visit will be in our new Cali!

[album]571[/album] [album]570[/album] [album]569[/album]

Simon

Sorry - not sure I've got the hang of the best way to include photos!

e2yvapyd.jpg

y5a3yqu3.jpg

anyparud.jpg

Simon

If you're going up that far it would be shame to miss out Ullapool. Nice little seaside village with a campsite in the village itself.

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=ullapo ... p%2Ecom%2F

Site's got good facilities and sea views. There's a cafe at the entrance for breakfast if you're feeling lazy and the sea front has a selection of shops and eateries.

Problem is, if you visit Ullapool, it would be a real shame not to make your way to Oban via the Outer Hebrides..!!

Too many stunning place and too little time...

Californiaman said:
Problem is, if you visit Ullapool, it would be a real shame not to make your way to Oban via the Outer Hebrides..!!

+1

Californiaman said:

Tis true :D