Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for Dumfries and Galloway, and the rest of the west coast

Tigger

Tigger

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all,

We're headed up to Scotland next week to spend 3 weeks on the west coast. Looks like the first stop might be in Dumfries and Galloway, has anyone got any recommendations for where to stay? (or anywhere else that is near the border).

I'm also all ears for other recommendations on the west coast/islands as we have yet to develop a plan and I appear to not be as comfortable winging it as I thought I would be...

Thanks all
Tigs

I would always follow the weather in Scotland. When its nice stay put and when its not move on. Be prepared to retrace your steps a little if the weather is rubbish when you are somewhere nice.

Odd sites might be busy at this time of year but on balance booking in advance shouldn't necessary.

Would you consider wild camping? The law is different in Scotland. You can pretty much stop anywhere (as long as its not private land) unless there is signage prohibiting it. It can be hard to find decent places in the busy areas but as you go further west and further north it becomes easier and sometimes the only option. The outer islands have very few official campsites. But there are loads of fantastic little car parks / stopping places where you can have the view to yourself. Many of the beach car parks have public toilet facilities which remain open all night. I've never felt unsafe in the islands. Most of the ferry terminals have public waste disposal (brown and grey water) so if you have a chemical toilet there is no problem emptying it.

Have a great trip.

I can recommend the CC site at New England bay.

Lovely bayside location, close enough to the RSPB reserve at the mull of Galloway, pleasant landscaping and the fish and chip van has to be one of the best visiting take-aways anywhere.

Sounds good. We've just had a month with hardly any rain and the forecast is sunny for at least the next 10 days. West is best at the moment.

I agree that booking isn't really necessary this time of year (after Monday's bank holiday). Are you able to come to Glen Nevis for our Cali weekend ?

People are often confused about wild camping in Scotland. The access laws don't apply to motorised vehicles and so wild camping (or, more accurately, informal camping) is tolerated on exactly the same basis as anywhere else in the UK. The only difference is that far fewer people live in Scotland and so you're more likely to be able to find a quiet spot to park up in rural parts. Common sense guidance applies eg only stay 1 or 2 nights, park away from houses, don't block access etc. Under the Land Reform Act you can wild camp pretty much anywhere (outwith private property) but only if you're travelling on foot, bike, horse back etc. (More here: https://wildaboutscotland.com/2014/11/30/wild-camping-in-scotland-camper-vans-and-motorhomes/).

Here are my various campsite recommendations and reviews: https://wildaboutscotland.com/?s=campsite

Balloch O'Dee (in D&G) can only be described as ... quirky. Great if you like campsites with no rules but it was a bit scruffy when I visited. Some people love it, though. A great place for campfires and dark skies (in Galloway Dark Sky Park).

Sounds good. We've just had a month with hardly any rain and the forecast is sunny for at least the next 10 days. West is best at the moment.

I agree that booking isn't really necessary this time of year (after Monday's bank holiday). Are you able to come to Glen Nevis for our Cali weekend ?

People are often confused about wild camping in Scotland. The access laws don't apply to motorised vehicles and so wild camping (or, more accurately, informal camping) is tolerated on exactly the same basis as anywhere else in the UK. The only difference is that far fewer people live in Scotland and so you're more likely to be able to find a quiet spot to park up in rural parts. Common sense guidance applies eg only stay 1 or 2 nights, park away from houses, don't block access etc. Under the Land Reform Act you can wild camp pretty much anywhere (outwith private property) but only if you're travelling on foot, bike, horse back etc. (More here: https://wildaboutscotland.com/2014/11/30/wild-camping-in-scotland-camper-vans-and-motorhomes/).

Here are my various campsite recommendations and reviews: https://wildaboutscotland.com/?s=campsite

Balloch O'Dee (in D&G) can only be described as ... quirky. Great if you like campsites with no rules but it was a bit scruffy when I visited. Some people love it, though. A great place for campfires and dark skies (in Galloway Dark Sky Park).
Thanks for the clarification on wild camping Ewan.

Thanks Ewan, this is really helpful.

I don't suppose you can recommend a 2 or 3 day walk staying in bothies can you? We both love the idea of a couple of nights in a bothy but don't really know where to start, it would need to be dog friendly as we'll have our lovely 4 year old Vizsla with us.

Thanks Ewan, this is really helpful.

I don't suppose you can recommend a 2 or 3 day walk staying in bothies can you? We both love the idea of a couple of nights in a bothy but don't really know where to start, it would need to be dog friendly as we'll have our lovely 4 year old Vizsla with us.
I can give only you some pointers, mainly since I haven't visited that many bothies and also because it really depends on where you're planning to go. The Mountain Bothies Association have fairly recently started giving a map including grid references of the bothies they manage http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/locationmap.asp; up until this point you could only find them by poring over maps, guidebooks and other people's trip reports.

You probably know that bothies aren't glamorous places - give me a tent any day !! Craig is a nice walk in 6m from the nearest road (N. of Torridon/NW Highlands) and those on Skye and Raasay might be a good bet. You could find good coastal walks to/from each of these; many others really are off the beaten track.

There are other options of course, especially if you like a bit more comfort. For example, you could walk into Loch Ossian YH from Glen Nevis and get the train back out (no roads, good hills on the doorstep). There's a good independent hostel on the north end of Iona which might combine with leaving your van at Fidden Farm campsite nearby (W. end of Mull). These are just some suggestions but I'm sure you can come up with others once you've homed in on where you might go and then using the MBA website to pinpoint good walking routes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The more research I do, the more it seems we should be taking our sit on top double kayak when we go up the west coast - any thoughts anyone?

We stayed near the border on our way home from our last west coast trip - in Newcastleton http://www.lidalia.co.uk/

Great little campsite (although some pitches are much better than others!) the village was very welcoming and a visit to the Reiver Trail exhibition in the church is a must. Much history for a small place. Great cycling from there too.

This place is a little further south http://www.duftoncaravanpark.co.uk/ but is worth a visit. Great pub and the walk up to High Cup Nick is brilliant.

In the Galloway Forest, we've stayed here: http://www.glentroolcampingandcaravansite.co.uk/
They were actually full when we turned on on-spec but they put us up in the car park. Its worth a visit for the dark skies.

There are plenty of campsites on the west coast. I don't imagine you'll have a problem finding places even if you haven't booked.

If you're a member of the caravan club, take a look at the sites at Bunree and North Ledaig. They'll suit the Kayaks I think. C&CC, take a look at Inverewe Gardens.

Its all just awesome up there....

Moffat CCC site good for a stop over on the way up. Easy to find food as the site is in the town. OK for dog walking although not great. Agree with California man about Bunree CC for the kayaks but the site road is single track controlled by traffic lights and walking the dogs up it to cross the main road to get to the forest to walk them is a pain - l wouldn't go again for that reason. Airdmair at Ullapool also tricky with dog walking, although right on the beach with lovely views. As others have said , no need to book in advance out of season, but l would be prepared to go to the east coast instead if the midges are bad.

Many thanks for all these great posts. We are planning a 2 week trip up to Scotland last 2 weeks of September . Is it midge season ? Live in the West Country. We have 2 westies ,so good camping sites with nearby dog walks is essential. They are used to scrabbling over long distances on Dartmoor.
As DM suggested aim to follow the weather. Are campsites busy/ open late September ?

April/May, Sept/Oct are my favourite times to visit Scotland. Perhaps not the 'best' weather (I actually really like a bit of drama in the weather though) but the best times to avoid it being busy, midges and still with decent weather.

Many thanks for all these great posts. We are planning a 2 week trip up to Scotland last 2 weeks of September . Is it midge season ? Live in the West Country. We have 2 westies ,so good camping sites with nearby dog walks is essential. They are used to scrabbling over long distances on Dartmoor.
As DM suggested aim to follow the weather. Are campsites busy/ open late September ?
It's normally midge season through to late September, depending on the temperature. I'm normally not that bothered by them but they did drive @Bobcat01, @Dottie and I in at 10.30pm on Saturday night at Glen Nevis. We were just getting stuck into the gin too ........ More info here (about midgies, not gin).

I think most campsites stay open through to half term in mid October.

Just in relation to Dumfries and Galloway, probably the best little site is Castle Point campsite at Colvend near Rockcliffe. (Castlepointcc.com) . Fabulous walks from the site along the coastal path towards Sandyhills (east) or Rockcliffe and Kippford to the West. Just fifty minutes over the border and you’d think you were in the Highlands.