Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Highlands and islands

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
As we all sit down in lockdown, we are thinking about the summer and where to go. We are going up to Scotland in August and wanted to go into the highlands and explore the islands. With a caveat, I hate midges (well who likes them !) so at that time of the year the highlands are maybe a midges no go area ? But is the coast midge free or less of the nippers and does this apply to the islands as well. So hopefully a coastal trip and island hoping will be better for us ? Also any recommendations where to go would be fantastic

As we all sit down in lockdown, we are thinking about the summer and where to go. We are going up to Scotland in August and wanted to go into the highlands and explore the islands. With a caveat, I hate midges (well who likes them !) so at that time of the year the highlands are maybe a midges no go area ? But is the coast midge free or less of the nippers and does this apply to the islands as well. So hopefully a coastal trip and island hoping will be better for us ? Also any recommendations where to go would be fantastic
In our experience the midges are everywhere. At their worse from May through to August. But still around April through to September.

If it is blowing a gale then they stay away, but out as soon as the wind dies back.

If you are not prepared for them, then you'll find they get in everywhere, and you'll see many people running around and some wearing mosquito head gear.

Also goes without saying that this time of the year you'll find the highlands extremely busy with loads of white whales and motorhomes/caravans on the roads.

Try to go in October to avoid these pests.

Last edited:
We live in the west highlands and have camped and campevrvaned in the summer here.
At first we avoided June to October to be safe.
The coast is definitely better, more often a breeze, which is your friend, as is timing, avoid early morning and after the sun goes down. Last time on Skye we went inside the van before dusk and didn't come out till early morning and amused at other arriving back late then doing the midge dance !
Smidge is a great repellant, we use it and it does have some repellant effect, a head net being the last resort !
The other thing are midge, ( not fly net) on the elevating roof vents and we have home made nets for the sliding windows. Made so you can open the windows with the net in place.

We’ve been going to Scotland a couple of times a year for 30 years we absolutely love it. Staying away mid May to mid September we’ve honestly never had an encounter with midgies.
West Coast is our go to area, we particularly love the islands, pick any, the Outer Hebrides, the Small Isles, Arran, Mull, Skye you won’t be disappointed. Further north Glencoe, Plockton, Wester Ross, Sutherland, it’s all beautiful that’s why we go back again and again.

4A478261-BB50-43C5-9178-A469A357C218.jpeg

A0C9343D-A0BF-422F-A0B0-8C588DD0D1B1.jpeg

E0A3CA78-5DA8-44AF-BDD2-C4900A49A1A7.jpeg

563F7890-3F2E-4FBC-9F65-BBFDFF29B6C8.jpeg

4CC53E7A-6489-422C-9416-238E9396D3EB.jpeg

4598E95A-01D0-4530-8FB9-75E847969160.jpeg

A70DE6CB-9F3D-42F9-A2E4-05259761D445.jpeg

4A057856-8484-4464-AED1-B64890594EC5.jpeg

7D1A525C-3592-4186-920A-359FFAC69B57.jpeg

7AA6E5BE-1367-4710-AA39-949DE2441117.jpeg

We’ve been going to Scotland a couple of times a year for 30 years we absolutely love it. Staying away mid May to mid September we’ve honestly never had an encounter with midgies.
West Coast is our go to area, we particularly love the islands, pick any, the Outer Hebrides, the Small Isles, Arran, Mull, Skye you won’t be disappointed. Further north Glencoe, Plockton, Wester Ross, Sutherland, it’s all beautiful that’s why we go back again and again.

View attachment 73034

View attachment 73035

View attachment 73036

View attachment 73037

View attachment 73038

View attachment 73039

View attachment 73040

View attachment 73041

View attachment 73042

View attachment 73043
Absolutely wonderful photos. Can't wait for Covid to be 'over'.

View attachment 73034

View attachment 73035

View attachment 73036

View attachment 73037

View attachment 73038

View attachment 73039

View attachment 73040

View attachment 73041

View attachment 73042

View attachment 73043
Great photos thanks
Just so I’m clear...you never visit May to sept?

We would never contemplate visiting Scotland between end of April and end of September. Reasons, midges and crowds on small single track roads that have very little idea of etiquette, actually no knowledge at all. Love the place out of season - winter in Scotland can be so uplifting.

View attachment 73034

View attachment 73035

View attachment 73036

View attachment 73037

View attachment 73038

View attachment 73039

View attachment 73040

View attachment 73041

View attachment 73042

View attachment 73043
wow

Many moons ago I did the JOGLE bike ride (in May) , I stopped overnight at a friends house on the west coast of Scotland. As we were having a beer in his garden, the inevitable midges showed up..... BUT..... he had a gas powered midgy gizzmo.

With a small flame it created a cloud of CO2 which attracts the midges (similar to your breath). Once in the CO2 cloud the midges are gently wafted into the trap and collected in a little gauze cup. My friend removed said cup c/w 1 million midges and replaced it with an empty one. The million midges were then popped in the freezer to ensure they were dead before being emptied in the bin.

Sorted...

i would avoid the islands this year. skye was a nightmare in mid summer before covid. i doubt the ferries will be running at full capacity any time soon either making it tricky to get around. i'll be amazed if i can even go for a sodding pint before july

Many moons ago I did the JOGLE bike ride (in May) , I stopped overnight at a friends house on the west coast of Scotland. As we were having a beer in his garden, the inevitable midges showed up..... BUT..... he had a gas powered midgy gizzmo.

With a small flame it created a cloud of CO2 which attracts the midges (similar to your breath). Once in the CO2 cloud the midges are gently wafted into the trap and collected in a little gauze cup. My friend removed said cup c/w 1 million midges and replaced it with an empty one. The million midges were then popped in the freezer to ensure they were dead before being emptied in the bin.

Sorted...
Any idea what the gismo was?

No idea what the gizzmo was..... I'm sure its out here on the interweb.

As things stand please recognise the damage to campervanners reputation by the hordes last year. So if the Covid is still causing restrictions be considerate if you are allowed to travel. The Turriff show has already been cancelled which was due in August so it seems that some restrictions will be in force most of this year. The landowners I know are not going to tolerate overnight stays so booking sites will be well advised. It is sad but last years mess along the NC and inconsiderate actions of many has made campervans somewhat unwelcome. Hopefully things will get back to better times all round.

Last edited:
As things stand please recognise the damage to campervanners reputation by the hordes last year. So if the Covid is still causing restrictions be considerate if you are allowed to travel. The Turriff show has already been cancelled which was due in August so it seems that some restrictions will be in force most of this year. The landowners I know are not going to tolerate overnight stays so booking sites will be well advised. It is sad but last years mess along the NC and inconsiderate actions of many has made campervans somewhat unwelcome. Hopefully things will get back to better times all round.
there's been a fair bit of activity this year blocking off or reducing parking spaces which are on private land and on the coast near us, some places on Park4nite.
Sure this is a result of last years influx and the terrible issue the landowners had, a real shame.
We had signs and stickers showing we are local from last year in our van, as our van has a central belt registration so had a fear of damage, some cars were damaged down the coast from here last year.

there's been a fair bit of activity this year blocking off or reducing parking spaces which are on private land and on the coast near us, some places on Park4nite.
Sure this is a result of last years influx and the terrible issue the landowners had, a real shame.
We had signs and stickers showing we are local from last year in our van, as our van has a central belt registration so had a fear of damage, some cars were damaged down the coast from here last year.
I knew that joining the National Trust for Scotland was a terrific bargain, but is it true that the windscreen parking sticker is now some protection from random keying?

I knew that joining the National Trust for Scotland was a terrific bargain, but is it true that the windscreen parking sticker is now some protection from random keying?
I would say theres a low risk of that happening like all crime around here.
When there was a five mile limit which wasn't law some folk came up here, locals were rightly concerned about virus transmission, annoyed about the breach and the way some behaviour. When we unlocked the hords of great whites and dirty campers caused issues too.
The good news is Highland council are installing stop overs with the local community which is great.
Freecamping i feel is a privilege, and so a “stealth activity” so no table, chairs outside or awnings out etc. We have never had an issue and make a point of talking with the locals and buying locally.

Back