Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We Connect no longer free connect

P

phil keegan

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
It sounds from this forum like the only useful feature on We Connect is remote door unlocking. It looks like now we have had our MY22 Coast for over a year we would have to start paying £69 for the privilege. Is there any way of continuing to have access to remote unlocking without paying an additional charge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds from this forum like the only useful feature on We Connect is remote door unlocking. It looks like now we have had our MY22 Coast for over a year we would have to start paying £69 for the privilege. Is there any way of continuing to have access to remote unlocking without paying an additional charge?

We connect is free - what makes you think you need to pay?

We connect is free - what makes you think you need to pay?

I’m getting a ‘service expired message’ and am getting directed to a site to buy We Connect Plus if I want to unlock the doors remotely. It looks like security notifications are also no longer free……

I’m getting a ‘service expired message’ and am getting directed to a site to buy We Connect Plus if I want to unlock the doors remotely. It looks like security notifications are also no longer free……

My Ocean (media Pro) is 2 years old so this comes up next year for me too.
I'd like to be able to lock/unlock - never needed it, but sods law says I lose my key when my subscription ends.
Do you still have access to data such as fuel tank level, last journey mpg etc without a subscription?

Sorry I was mislead by VW website - under the We Connect tab it shows what’s included in the basic We Connect and in there under Breakdown call it talks about Lock & Unlock. Which I think is an error on the website.

Further down the page it does have Lock & Unlock as a separate tab & states for we connect pro only.
IMG_1231.jpeg

My Ocean (media Pro) is 2 years old so this comes up next year for me too.
I'd like to be able to lock/unlock - never needed it, but sods law says I lose my key when my subscription ends.
Do you still have access to data such as fuel tank level, last journey mpg etc without a subscription?

Yes basic data available but not lock/unlock or security notifications.

Not had a renew message on our Cali yet (3 years free with pro) but did have on the Tiguan - had to renew after 3 years (also upgraded that Satnav when I bought too). Personally I find it useful, not just for the door locking.

Personally I find it useful,
What do you find useful?
I did once use the map to find it in a massive car park when I picked it up after the Mrs had parked it. It was very accurate... I didn't need to sound the horn/flash lights as it was taller than average but that might just be useful too in some circumstances.
I've downloaded the forthcoming CaliforniaOnTour app, which will be free to use. I've put in my VIN and so now have access to the manual electronically. You can word search to find subjects quickly. No sign of anything else useful yet but I live in hope. Errr...I see you'll be able to pop up the roof from your phone...?!?
CaliforniaOn2.jpg

Last edited:
What do you find useful?
I did once use the map to find it in a massive car park when I picked it up after the Mrs had parked it. It was very accurate... I didn't need to sound the horn/flash lights as it was taller than average but that might just be useful too in some circumstances.
I've downloaded the forthcoming CaliforniaOnTour app, which will be free to use. I've put in my VIN and so now have access to the manual electronically. You can word search to find subjects quickly. No sign of anything else useful yet but I live in hope. Errr...I see you'll be able to pop up the roof from your phone...?!?
I like the basic vehicle info - have used when I need to quickly work out miles, ad-blue range and service dates.

The COT app has been useful for the manual only from my use so far. I can't imagine the campsites elements will ever be kept up to date by an OEM.

We Connect Plus can also be connected to by the dealership. We had a recent warning message letting us know to fill up with AdBlue. Within 48 hours the dealership rang us to book it in. We were in France so did it at a tenth of the price there.

With that in mind you would think that the service is working more for dealers than it is us, so should be free. Unless I am mistaken and that is a function of WeConnect, not We Connect Plus.

I’m glad this question has been asked. We’ve had our my22 coast for 15 months with no media upgrades or sat nav. I naively assumed we connect would be free but yesterday a message popped up warning 8 days before expiry. The message has now disappeared. Does anyone know how to check subscription status in the app please? We find the remote unlocking a useful back up when the kids are going in and out of the van (I definitely wouldn’t trust them with the key!)

I’m assuming one subscription can cover other vw vehicles as we have both cars on one?

The COT app had vehicle unlock functionality briefly.

I’m glad this question has been asked. We’ve had our my22 coast for 15 months with no media upgrades or sat nav. I naively assumed we connect would be free but yesterday a message popped up warning 8 days before expiry. The message has now disappeared. Does anyone know how to check subscription status in the app please? We find the remote unlocking a useful back up when the kids are going in and out of the van (I definitely wouldn’t trust them with the key!)

To check subscription expiry - within the app select vehicle (1 of the 3 options at bottom of screen) then scroll down to contracts and validity period - select that, which then diverts you across to the VW website login, and once you have logged in again there, under the “garage” sub menu scroll down a bit until you see Contracts and Contract Periods, and it should tell you that you are Active and what the expiry date is. Somewhat more convoluted than you might hope !

I’m assuming one subscription can cover other vw vehicles as we have both cars on one?

Nope, you need a seperate sub for each. We have one for the Tiguan and one for the Cali, both in same app. When the Tiguan ran out we had to renew to use the advanced functions. For the cost it wasn’t worth not doing, to us.

Thank you we would never have worked this out, what a faff! Now have to make a decision whether the remote locking function is worth £69 a year …

Can't you just rejoin and pay in the event that you lose your key? Until then, don't bother.

Can't you just rejoin and pay in the event that you lose your key? Until then, don't bother.
You might have to do their ID verification. For what they're trying to charge I'll just get a key cut

Last edited:
Tbh I’ll probably renew it for 2 years although part of me resents that it’s not free from vw. We used it a lot on holiday when the kids (teens) wanted to go back to the van and we were still in the bar - I’m sure these roles will reverse in future! For a monthly cost which is less than a pint I’m seeing it as extra insurance against the massive pain of being locked out.

Tbh I’ll probably renew it for 2 years although part of me resents that it’s not free from vw. We used it a lot on holiday when the kids (teens) wanted to go back to the van and we were still in the bar - I’m sure these roles will reverse in future! For a monthly cost which is less than a pint I’m seeing it as extra insurance against the massive pain of being locked out.

I wonder if there’s any actual cost to VW providing this service, after the initial approval.
Feels a bit opportunistic, after you’ve bought an expensive object from them, when it could make you feel connected and invested in their product

Last edited:
remote locking/unlocking is a We Connect Plus feature and requires a subscription after 1 year (Discover Media) or 3 years (Discover Media Pro).

Just FYI I have Discover Media (not pro) on my 2022 Beach Camper and got 3 years of We Connect Plus

I just received an eMail informing me that the WE Connect app is being discontinued from Nov 8. There is a new app to replace it, named Volkswagen app. I installed and set it up, which is pretty straightforward although the door lock/unlock function is not working at present (I should try later, whatever that means).
Google Play Store: hier
Apple Store: hier

Back