Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What we didn’t know: Coast after 3 months

5 year in and I might look into this. Thanks!

If you search Thule anti rattle kit on this forum you will see which plastic spacers (that were standard on my van) you can adjust. They are also available to buy if you don’t have these fitted already.

The only trouble with silencing the awning rattle is your ear can then start tuning into other quieter noises!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our 6.1 MY22 Coast was delivered to the door in June after ordering in October ‘21 from Listers via AutoeBid.

Without a showroom handover this forum and ‘California Time’ videos answered most of our questions.

I thought I’d post a few things that weren’t immediately obvious to us for others who might be in a similar situation (new Cali owners without a handover):

1)Detachable tow bar is located in the tool kit and this is located on the back of the rear seat.

2)Legs on awning have catches you have to lift up to lock + first time you do this it feels like the catches might snap

3)To understand DPF regeneration + possible oil level issue see California time video

4)Ad blue tank in our MY22 6.1 is large so won’t need filling as often as previous models and some videos suggest (not sure of the actual volume)

5)We Connect isn’t great + can tell you your van is unlocked when it isn’t! (but can unlock the van if you have your phone but no key)

6)The most likely source of a rattle at head height is the awning. Strategic cloth tape didn’t stop ours rattling but turning the feet outwards and adjusting the space of the ‘anti rattle’ plastic spacers at the back of the awning housing did.

7)Unless you need to take it out it’s a good idea not to remove the rear parcel shelf as it’s a tiny bit fiddly to replace it. Separately this will angle upwards much more easily if the rear seat is slid forward a little bit

8)Quite a few travel mugs are too tall for the dashboard cup holders

9)A long push on the remote lock button folds up the wing mirrors

10)Two quick pushes on the remote lock button locks the van without activation of the motion sensors (check red light by window controls is not flashing).

11)The net that comes with the van isn’t for storage but to stop children falling out of the roof bed.

12)The controls for the heat immediately and heat continuously functions are a bit confusing at first but well explained in a California time video. The 6.1 also has a ventilate mode on the heat immediately menu.

13)It’s normal for the floor between the passenger and drivers seat to be a bit spongy

14)The traditional paper service record has been replaced with an electronic record

15)I was lucky to get a surf key cut for £15 at a local locksmith without any difficulty.

16)On ‘maximum’ the rear of the fridge can act like a freezer - great for ice cubes but frozen beer difficult to get out the bottle!

17)Tailgate doesn’t need slamming shut as the latch has a little motor that pulls it tight.

Obviously everyone will have different experience (and vans) but I have really appreciated advice and tips from this forum + hope somebody might find something on the above list useful.

Just a little tip about the rattly awning. When you open it out to full extent, turn the crank back about one turn: you will see the awning fabric tightening, which reduces the "flapping" in the breeze. NB. this applies to my T5 and many other campers my friends have. Might not be the case with newer ones. Another awning tip (a bit more obvious): if it's raining, lower one leg, so the water runs off rather than gathering in a big puddle.It can look rather nice in line with the roof angle! Just mind your head!

Thanks - had ours since May - I’m sitting at a dog agility show, so I’ve tried out all the suggestions! Love the folding mirrors! The locking with dogs inside - perfect, but haven’t mastered the windows down yet !!!!

Thanks - had ours since May - I’m sitting at a dog agility show, so I’ve tried out all the suggestions! Love the folding mirrors! The locking with dogs inside - perfect, but haven’t mastered the windows down yet !!!!
When unlocking, keep your thumb on the unlock button until the windows come down. It’s a little longer than you might think. However, I’ve accidentally moved the windows down more than once!

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye on the windows but think on ours a long press only locks it and folds up the wing mirrors. Not entirely sure when one might want to lock it remotely and open the windows…..

Yes hold the key down wing mirrors and the windows also go up if down but you need to hold until they are closed. Also hold down the unlock key and hold the windows open.

Just found you can close mirrors up from inside too!!! Knob on driver’s side door . Sad but true !

Have you found the heated mirrors position too?
Took me 3 months until, looking from the outside I could see the position at 2 O’Clock

23EA1B68-D49C-4A8F-879C-7AC9A9CACB19.jpeg

Second thing I’ve learned - if husband leaves you in van and goes looking for car park ticket, the doors lock and I can’t escape !!!

How do I remedy this ? !

Second thing I’ve learned - if husband leaves you in van and goes looking for car park ticket, the doors lock and I can’t escape !!!

How do I remedy this ? !

Here's a good rundown:

Your better half has probably pressed the keyfob.

How do I remedy this ? !

I didn’t know it does this. Have you been locked in long enough to also set off the alarm? Probably best just to leave the keys with whoever is left behind in the van. If you want a complicated and potentially unreliable solution you could also escape using ‘We Connect’ on your mobile.

You can press the unlock button. Drivers door.
You can press the button if you want. It won’t do anything though if van is locked with a single press on the fob.

If the van has been deadlocked the only way out is through a window or unlock with a key or weconnect.

You can press the unlock button. Drivers door.
No, I tried this! I think he must have deadlocked it - on his fob. You can’t override this from inside ( been watching California Chris since I got back out !)

You can press the button if you want. It won’t do anything though if van is locked with a single press on the fob.

If the van has been deadlocked the only way out is through a window or unlock with a key or weconnect.
Thanks, I realise this now …. All part of learning process !

Here's a good rundown:

Your better half has probably pressed the keyfob.
He finally admitted to it !!!!

I didn’t know it does this. Have you been locked in long enough to also set off the alarm? Probably best just to leave the keys with whoever is left behind in the van. If you want a complicated and potentially unreliable solution you could also escape using ‘We Connect’ on your mobile.

About 5 minutes - no alarm went off !