Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water top up kit for £2.25

rookeryview

rookeryview

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
This is the first of many plans I have to make Cali accessories for next to nothing. I will be making toppers, cozies, storage containers, awning wind breaks etc, which will save literally thousands of pounds for those that can't or don't want to afford a commercial version.

To start with, here is a neat water top up kit which just takes a few minutes and is hygienic and cheap to make.

You'll need a 2 litre pop bottle, a 500 ml sports bottle, a metre of food grade tube from the usual sources (mine was £2.25 inc postage), a piece of cord and a bit of flat plastic that will slide into the awning channel.

Cut off the (normally white) moving part of the sports cap carefully, and trim the inside fins that will become visible if you want to. Dip your tube into hot water to soften it a little and slip it over the protruding part of the cap. There is a nice ridge which grips the pipe perfectly.
Cut the 2 litre bottle in half about 10cm from the bottom. Make a hole about 2cm from the lip, and do the same with the remaining half bottle. You can shorten the top half of the bottle further once you know how much hose needs to go inside it in order to make it more compact in storage.
Drill or cut a hole in the piece of plastic that will slide into the awning channel. Attach one end of the cord to this piece and check it will slide in the channel and take the weight of a full funnel.
Assemble with your cord and adjust the final length - see pictures

During use, the cap of the bottle kit will hold the water cap and keep it clean while you top up with a (clean) hose, larger container, or another 2 litre bottle into the funnel. After use, disconnect the tube and wind it up and coil into the funnel part, add the cord and tag into the bottle, then slip the bottom over the top and push together to make a tight fit for clean neat storage.

Works a treat.

If you are careful, 1 Metre of tube will make two of these - one for a present maybe :thumb

Sorry that the Coke logo is visible in the last picture. This won't happen again. :veryfunny :headbang

DSCI2437.JPG DSCI2438.JPG

Very good. Could I suggest to Admin that this could be saved as a sticky in a special forum devoted to similar inventions or as a download in PDFs format?:thumb

Great idea WG. Just added my toilet solution to another thread too.

I think we have decided against stickies and are just keeping them for important threads, we are more than happy to convert these threads to PDF's though.

People will just need to remind us though..

Just needs a Brandrup label :)

....and move the decimal point a couple of places to the right:eek: