Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Refilling water on tour

It has just gone downhill. I innocently searched Google images for "funnel and hose" and found this (below) which seems to come with an easy-hold handle!

I've just spent 5 mins staring at that picture trying to work out what it's ACTUALLY supposed to be for.

I've just spent 5 mins staring at that picture trying to work out what it's ACTUALLY supposed to be for.
You didn't say if you'd worked it out? Hen Party drinking games is I think the answer (although I may just be innocent).
I think that using one to fill your water tanks may just get you chucked off a caravan club site.....

I carry a 6 litre watering can, bought especially for the Cali. Fill it at the tap, poke the spout in the filling hole and pour. It works well.

I carry a 6 litre watering can, bought especially for the Cali. Fill it at the tap, poke the spout in the filling hole and pour. It works well.
Like the concept. But always worried about space. Now who makes a collapsible / folding watering can ??

I use one of those collapsible watering cans. It works. A bit fiddly to 'build' and I don't want to start a debate about food grade plastics. They do pack up nice and small, and handy when the site doesn't have a hose (which I always let run, and just aim at the filler, never touching the van with it).

So this post will expose me as the beginner I am. To date we have only been away for weekend trips and have never got through more than 1 tank of fresh water. We're off to Cornwall in a couple of weeks. What is the best means of refilling with water when on tour. Is it best to carry a drinking water grade hose with a load of adapters and Trust to be able to get near enough to a tap or carry water containers. The Cali tank is only 30 litres so that would only be 3 trips with a 10L container. But how to get it into the Cali? Carry a big funnel or rig up a method of hanging it from the awning rail and using a short length of hose.

What do our more seasoned members do?

A short length of hose with some adapters works. Flat fabric hose takes less space.

So this post will expose me as the beginner I am. To date we have only been away for weekend trips and have never got through more than 1 tank of fresh water. We're off to Cornwall in a couple of weeks. What is the best means of refilling with water when on tour. Is it best to carry a drinking water grade hose with a load of adapters and Trust to be able to get near enough to a tap or carry water containers. The Cali tank is only 30 litres so that would only be 3 trips with a 10L container. But how to get it into the Cali? Carry a big funnel or rig up a method of hanging it from the awning rail and using a short length of hose.

What do our more seasoned members do?
If our pitch does not have a tap on or within onboard 5 metre hosepipe, we drive up to one and tank up with BIG SD smiles on our faces.

This thread has made me laugh a lot! Much needed as some one just dinked my beautiful Holly in a car park with their door:sorry

We use a length of sanitised hose from a washing machine that fits on to the tap no problem and to Holly when she's thirsty. :D

I bought usual cheap 10ltr collapsible water carrier from Go-outdoors. then by accident found out the spout from bog standard plastic watering can has same screw thread. Job done.

I hang a 5ltr water bottle from the awning rail and use a pump to syphon the water into the storage tank. Repeat until full.

Vernon (Highflyer)

20160408_145041.jpg