Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Watch out for the rodents because replacement Adblue pipes are not available

Thats gonna be much harder to deploy especially in tight areas. The self wrapping fiber glass option allows you to feed the sheath over the curvature of the wires.
I’m not selling the stuff , I’m pointing out there are products out there to do a job. The foil wrap would go for some application under the van, specifically in the exhaust heat shield area (oil sensor cable etc )

I’m not selling the stuff , I’m pointing out there are products out there to do a job. The foil wrap would go for some application under the van, specifically in the exhaust heat shield area (oil sensor cable etc )
I don't say you were and I'm not a distributor for HellermannTyton, I'm just pointing out some obvious limitations.

Following this chaps.

My thinking (although without any real knowledge of rodentine appetites) would be to go for the one that claims at least to be unpalatable to rats, ie the fibreglass type. The little sods seem to be inclined to chew all kinds of materials for fun, as do squirrels. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd have a crack at the foil-clad insulation stuff.

No point, IMO, trying to save money on a cheaper option if it turns out not to actually work.

Given where we park our van I'm guessing we've been lucky not to get attacked and it surprises me how much exposed wiring there turns out to be under a Cali.

How big is this issue really though - are we (like with any issue) seeing a disproportionate picture on here? Presumably Transporters are just as susceptible for the AB stuff and any sensors and I can’t believe they’re all be munched?

How big is this issue really though - are we (like with any issue) seeing a disproportionate picture on here? Presumably Transporters are just as susceptible for the AB stuff and any sensors and I can’t believe they’re all be munched?

The title of this thread is slightly misleading, its a cable thats been chewed not an amble pipe.

Theres been a few cases on here not loads, at a guess your typical cali has a lot more wires underneath ie for the parking heater etc than a typical transporter.

The routing of the cables may be different for different engines, most vans used commercially have the smaller engine.

Since they changed the material to a soy-based rubber, its a common problem. I have an email from my dealer to VWCS saying as much, and proposing a re-specification. VW deny there is a problem of course, as you'd expect until they are forced to admit a problem.

Hello - Found this thread on google and we have suffered the same issue with our 2021 Coast. It's been sat at SMG in Tonbridge since October, the dealers are useless (can't get the part) and VW head office useless (we can't get the part). We are not super technical/car people (!) and would really appreciate some help in how to get this sorted as VW are RUBBISH!! It's the 7LA131984H Ad blue sensor part that is affected. This is just horrendous to be without our van and to have no answers and idea about how to get it back on the road!!

Hello - Found this thread on google and we have suffered the same issue with our 2021 Coast. It's been sat at SMG in Tonbridge since October, the dealers are useless (can't get the part) and VW head office useless (we can't get the part). We are not super technical/car people (!) and would really appreciate some help in how to get this sorted as VW are RUBBISH!! It's the 7LA131984H Ad blue sensor part that is affected. This is just horrendous to be without our van and to have no answers and idea about how to get it back on the road!!
3 options:

1. Put that part number into google & it comes up with a new one in Holland available for £37.00 as the photo below.

2. It's a cable with 3 plugs on it, as long as there is a stub of cable left on each plug any half competent auto electrician should be able to make up a replacement in an hour.

3. Google VW breakers - plenty of them around.

I accept both you & VW for warranty purposes would probably want new, but there should be nothing stoping a temporary fix whilst VW get their act together.

IMG_2005.jpeg

Thank you. Do you think if we order one of those parts SMG would fit it for us?

Thank you. Do you think if we order one of those parts SMG would fit it for us?
I would ask them, and also if they could buy and fit themselves. i'm sure they would like to free up some parking area that yours is taking up :)

I can’t see why not, it’s a simple plug in replacement. It’s a new part - ask them? Or send them the link before ordering.

I'll give them a call thanks. I literally can't believe that they nor VW seem to care much bout this! We have a VW assist who have been paying for a (rubbish galaxy) hire car all this time too!

Returning here 2 months later to say van eventually fixed! 4.5 months from initial problem, 2 months after I tried to order the part but VW said no, they were going to. I eventually ordered it from the OEM site linked on here on 1st Feb and VW fitted it.

So - 100 euros for the part and £250 for VW to fit it - fair enough, cost to us. And 4.5 months of hire car and 1 weeks worth of van hire from campervantastic for our trip to the alps paid for by VW assist....I cannot imagine what that has cost - all because of complete incompetence.

I started this thread in December and having heard nothing from the main dealer (Eurovans) I complained to VW customer "services" who have escalated the complaint but I am still waiting.
In the meantime with advice from this forum I took the van to a proper garage and discovered that it was the sensor wire that had been chewed through. It may be that in your case it was a fluid carrying tube which I assume would be a b bigger job.

My garage mechanic soldered the wires(£40) and -3 months on- it is still ok. Acting on the main dealer advice I would have been off the road for 3 and a half months (so far) and be still unable to use the van.

The cost of fitting by VW for fitting this part seems to me to be somewhat steep to say the least. The techies employed by suppliers interested only in selling vehicles seem only able to bolt replacement parts on and I really wonder about their mechanical know-how. or whether they have any at all

Conclusion: My Cali is coming up to 3 years old and I shall not be using VW main dealers future nor buying my replacement vehicle from Eurovans

The cost of fitting by VW for fitting this part seems to me to be somewhat steep to say the least. The techies employed by suppliers interested only in selling vehicles seem only able to bolt replacement parts on and I really wonder about their mechanical know-how. or whether they have any at all
Sadly true. Completely unwilling (unable?) to do simple workmanlike repairs like joining two broken wires together. Pathetic.

Back