Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Watch out for the rodents because replacement Adblue pipes are not available

There seems to be loads of opinions and variations on what products to use to deter rodents/foxes etc but has anyone actually determined what is the most effective?
I would use a combination of approaches. Tape, spray, ultrasound and flashing lights. Surely one will work.

My new house is by farmland and I have had lots of field mice visiting my garden now it’s colder. In a panic I have an ultrasound battery thing positioned adjacent to the engine area on my driveway, no food except coffee inside and peppermint essential oil on cotton wool balls strategically placed. I use the van a few times a week so will know quite quickly if I have failed to deter the wee beasties.

It may not be the soy wiring or whatever it’s supposed to be. I have 3 VW group vehicle, diesel Cali, diesel Skoda, and a petrol Cupra, I would expect the wiring to be of the same type. The two diesel vehicles have rodent damage, the petrol does not. Not scientific but it’s another possibility that it’s the smell of diesel that attracts them.

That's f-ing ridiculous. I would be taking the van to a sensible independent workshop (ie proper mechanics not parts-fitter monkeys) and asking them to find a suitable length of piping to cut and fit.

Good grief how hard can it be? I bet it's just some flexible fuel-type hose and a couple of jubilee clips.

(You could always then have a genuine VW part re-fitted when it becomes available, although if it was me I don't think I'd bother, life's too short.)

[EDIT] Is it this bit? There you go.
Thanks for that

The part number is 7lA131984H which is unobtainable from VW and could be for a long time. I have a preloved one order from a van breaker which should be with me shortly but as I wanted to use the van this weekend I went to a proper garage. The van was put up on ramps and found that it was the pressure sensor wires that had been chewed through. Apparently these wires can be soldered as a temporary measure but most important van is driveable. without the pressure sensor working (although it would be an MOT failure)

The moral of this story is that Velma's dad is correct. Get a proper mechanic to look at the vehicle and don't always believe everything you are told at the expensive main dealer

The moral of this story is that Velma's dad is correct. Get a proper mechanic to look at the vehicle and don't always believe everything you are told at the expensive main dealer

Good to hear you are mobile again. Are you 100% sure that those are the only wires chewed? have you checked things like the parking heater....

The moral of this story is …..: don't always believe everything you are told at the expensive main dealer
o_OReally? From Russia and there are no more available? I find that very hard to believe but what do I know.
The issue was even something different! Man man…
Fortunately you’re on the road again.

Last edited:
It's nothing to do with a warranty claim so why should VW lend a van?
Could possibly be an insurance claim though.
Insurance claim For a bit of pipe? Get real, go get a bit of hose fitted at your local garage. Like replacing your old fan belt with the missus nylons - it’s a pipe!

Insurance claim For a bit of pipe? Get real, go get a bit of hose fitted at your local garage. Like replacing your old fan belt with the missus nylons - it’s a pipe!
Actually it wasn’t a pipe! It was a cable.

It’s more an insurance claim than a warranty job. At some point the rodent damage gets to a point where you can’t just bodge it on a £80k van. If the parts are unavailable and the vans off the road what are you going to do?

It’s more an insurance claim than a warranty job. At some point the rodent damage gets to a point where you can’t just bodge it on a £80k van. If the parts are unavailable and the vans off the road what are you going to do?
Unfortunately it's emblematic of the way that cars have become almost completely "replace, don't fix". That's understandable in the modern world but it frustrates the old fart in me a bit when dealership technicians' skills seem to limited to plugging the car into a computer then unbolting a complete assembly to whack on a fresh one. I'm not sure what the value of a vehicle has to do with it, I'd be happy with a repaired component on any vehicle to keep me on the road, provided the repair has been done in a workmanlike way.

Anyway end of rant. Back to following the East African Safari Classic where there's evidently proper spannering going on. Hakuna matata.

1702733958543.png

I'm completely with you on this one, I'm sure it will change. There has been legislation brought in recently where manufacturers have domestic appliances are forced to supply parts for a finite period of time to cut down on the amount of things going to landfill.

There seems to be loads of opinions and variations on what products to use to deter rodents/foxes etc but has anyone actually determined what is the most effective?
No way to be sure as it may not have had an attack attempt giving the impression that it is a sure fire prevention.

I've got a simple sonic box fitted and no attacks to date.
4 or 5 years since fitting and parked in France near log pile with mice for 3 months of each year - except Covid period

The warning light on my California told me that I should take the van in the garage. The diagnosis was that rodents had chewed through the adblue pipe and that the van can no longer be safely driven until this was replaced. As VW get these from Russia via the Ukraine they are not available and VW cannot give any information as to when they will become available. It is very sad to have paid over £70,000 for a van which is now off the road for an indeterminate period. I do not think that I shall be buying another German vehicle as as clearly Germany places too much reliance on Russia and not just for its gas.
The warning light on my California told me that I should take the van in the garage. The diagnosis was that rodents had chewed through the adblue pipe and that the van can no longer be safely driven until this was replaced. As VW get these from Russia via the Ukraine they are not available and VW cannot give any information as to when they will become available. It is very sad to have paid over £70,000 for a van which is now off the road for an indeterminate period. I do not think that I shall be buying another German vehicle as as clearly Germany places too much reliance on Russia and not just for its gas.
I had to take my 14month old Cali Ocean back to the dealership only last week for similar reasons having two warning icons appear but in my case rodents had chewed into exposed wiring on the underside of my vehicle! I cannot understand why exposed electric cables are not properly protected?
My van is kept in the open in an area over run with squirrels so I need to tackle this problem fast! What a pain and what a cost.

I had to take my 14month old Cali Ocean back to the dealership only last week for similar reasons having two warning icons appear but in my case rodents had chewed into exposed wiring on the underside of my vehicle! I cannot understand why exposed electric cables are not properly protected?
My van is kept in the open in an area over run with squirrels so I need to tackle this problem fast! What a pain and what a cost.
Be interested to hear how your dealer treats you. SMG Tonbridge have replaced pipes and fitted an anti rodent device free of charge. No such luck for me...cost me £750. So I've lodged a case (now accepted) with the Motor Ombudsman.

Be interested to hear how your dealer treats you. SMG Tonbridge have replaced pipes and fitted an anti rodent device free of charge. No such luck for me...cost me £750. So I've lodged a case (now accepted) with the Motor Ombudsman.
The dealership (Inchcape + Trafford Park Manchester) didn't charge me which was pleasing to say the least! They carried out minor repair which I haven't checked out myself yet but intend to at the weekend. I will look into what "anti-rodent" devices are available for long term protection. Good luck with your case!

This may be a solution .

Glass fibre sticks to rodents mouths

B0B77D43-8CAB-4B43-B542-5175B341E15D.png
Looks relatively easy to retrofit & available In 3m length - looks expensive

C688AC6F-2344-48A4-A64B-8AE8760CE58A.jpeg

heat resistance Retrofit - a lot cheaper the one above

B9983903-0966-4324-9E14-225E8B34885C.png

Last edited:
Did you get an indicative price?
225 euro for 15m so not cheap, but compared to the damage a rodent can cause maybe a worthwhile investment. Trouble is reaching all the exposed wires without a lift.

Did you get an indicative price?

I did see how much it cost that’s why I posted a cheaper alternative.

it was a suggestion only.

there are a few glass fibre products on the market, which look suitable & more cost effective , Which start to appear one you do a bit of reasearch.

as @Corradobrit says, it’s cheaper than a trip to the VW stealer to repair.

I did see how much it cost that’s why I posted a cheaper alternative.

it was a suggestion only.

there are a few glass fibre products on the market, which look suitable & more cost effective , Which start to appear one you do a bit of reasearch.

as @Corradobrit says, it’s cheaper than a trip to the VW stealer to repair.
What was the price for your alternative? I couldn't see anything on line giving figures for either solution.

Back