Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waeco cfx compressor or thermoelectric fridge?

thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
Hi everyone,

With a week to go before we get our new beach I've been scouring the net to try and sort everything we'll need for the van and our first trip away.

Looking at chest fridges i'm a bit torn as to what is the best option for our needs.

I've found a really good deal on mps trading for the waeco cfx units but even with a good discount they are still 5-600 pounds. The majority of reviews for these are based on the requirements of being in 30+ degree heat in the australian outback, I stay in scotland, the majority of our camper use will be long weekends in scotland and around the UK and music festivals. We are considering a longer trip to france at some point but want to wait and see how we get on with the new van first.

I've read about the limitations of the thermoelectric versions but considering that the likes of the waeco q40 or even b40 hybrid are priced at 140 and 200quid it is a huge difference in cost.

I'm just not sure, despite the fact the compressors are obviously better units, whether we would get the benefits for our needs to justify spending the same amount on a camping fridge as someone might spend on their household fridge/freezer.

any thoughts would be more than welcome

ps i have to admit i am tempted to just say bugger it and just get the compressor fridge but my accessories budget is already starting to groan under the weight so far and we haven't even got the camper yet!

I have the smaller compressor unit (from a past [van] life) and they are a brilliant bit of kit. (18l model). It easily makes ice in a heat wave.

Both types should maintain your beer cold in normal conditions but I'd be thinking about battery consumption. I thought the compressor units were much more efficient and would give much longer life away from hook up.

Also think about noise when sleeping in the van. The compressor models only run 1/3rd of the time, but you may prefer a constant drone vs the switching on and off of the compressor.

No contest in my view... Only the huge price to overcome!!

Running on fully charged leisure batteries you will get 3-4 days (perfect festival length)... Maybe half that if you are lucky with a thermoelectric.

Have a vw coolbox and going to get a Waeco compressor. Coolbox kills your leisure battery, if you can afford the extra outlay well worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also think about noise when sleeping in the van. The compressor models only run 1/3rd of the time, but you may prefer a constant drone vs the switching on and off of the compressor.

Can you put some sort of lock on it & put it outside at night, chain it to a wheel. They will work more efficiently out in the cool. Did this with a 24v / 240v engle fridge in Africa with great success.

Back