Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Fridge

S

syrup1971

VIP Member
I know nothing about technical side, but can say I was impressed with first use of my VW Beach fridge. It dealt with the heat on Saturday and surprisingly stayed cold overnight when switched off!

It fixes to the rail system with a removable plate. I guess you could use without but it works for me using the plate just behind front passenger seat facing backwards. It could equally go in the boot I guess.

It runs off 12v.

No doubt yu could get cheaper and if you want a carry around it won't work as has no handle.

I have ordered the Waeco cdf-18, from an ebay seller, at just under £300 delivered.

Reading around, seems to have the lowest power consumption, at 35w, with 10% duty cycle at 20 degrees, 18% at 32 degrees, for a 5 degree fridge temp.

Also seems like they can actually freeze if you want - might be handy for rapid chilling of wine/beer :D :D

I'll report back when it has arrived.

You may want to check how big 18litre is before they send. I think you may be surprised how small it comes up.

The beach fridge is 32litre and to be frank I am not that impressed. It uses 48watts. I don't have the power consumption run rates, but they quote 30% for the time for SE fridge with no temperature assumption.

Course it all depends on how many cold beers you need!

Hope this helps

18 litres is on the small side, but should be enough for a bottle of wine, and 3-4 beers on rotation, along with some butter, bacon etc.

The power consumption does seem vastly different from absorption & thermoelectric types, which seem to have a 10x increase in power requirements. Waeco list the compressors, as suitable for Suitable for "solar operation", but none of the others.

The price to pay for this power efficiency is the increase in size & weight vs alternatives, and also the high purchase cost.

It's annoying that there seems to be little info on the VW cooler available,

Chris

:laugh2 :laugh2 I didn't even get a manual! I found the Power on the bottom!

Perhaps send them a technical information request?

I would like to know more on the solar power side.

I use a Waeco CF35 all week in my truck at work and its probably one of the best buys I have ever made :thumb

I really can't recommend them enough as I've had mine for a year and for all of that time I bet its only been switched off for 2 weeks max

They use very little power and I have left mine on whilst away for 5 days and on return the truck started first turn of the key. They also have battery protection so if your batteries start loosing too much power it shuts down automatically.

If I compared that to a 12v cool box they have been know to flatten the batteries overnight :eek:

Great bit of kit but don't get one that too small - See them in the flesh before ordering

BikerBoy said:
:laugh2 :laugh2 I didn't even get a manual! I found the Power on the bottom!

Perhaps send them a technical information request?

I would like to know more on the solar power side.

Found some info in the van manual. (1) the 32l box uses approx 33w and (2) it has a battery monitor and will shut down at low charge level (switches back on on when high enough)

Thanks for that, useful. I think that is 100% duty cycle i.e. a continuous power draw. So the compressor is between 5-10x more efficient.

Chris

I don't know for a fact, but am guessing.

Fridges come in 3 types (according to my research)

1) Absorbption
2) Thermoelectric
3) Condensor

Based on the info here

http://www.waeco.com/pdf/My_Freedom_2012_en.pdf

My guess is that the VW one is Thermoelectric, as they seem to be the one that offer heating & cooling.

Also, looking at the price, I think it is unlikely to be a condensor at that price.

However, this is all supposition, and hopefully there is someone on the forum who is wiser than me, who could confirm this,

Chris

Quick Review of the Waeco CDF-18 following first use last week.

Fits neatly behind driver seat, and cable reaches across to the 12V outlet. Seems to be a good place for it. BIG issue in boot, is the 12v socket obscured by the flex board mounting - I'll do another post on this.

Gets cold, very cold. We froze our drinks in it! Power consumption seems to be good. According to my 3 LED power meter http://www.amazon.co.uk/COMPACT-BATTERY ... 587&sr=8-2 the battery dropped from 3 LEDs to 2 LEDs, after using for about 24 hours total use (2x12 hours days, turned it off at night).

Noise - pretty quiet (think normal fridge kind of running sounds, probably a bit less), wouldn't disturb me at night, but would disturb my wife.

Runs great off maplin mains adapter L25AY - http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-5a-car-sock ... pply-42702

Size - pretty good. Fits a couple of bottles of wine, and a few beers in, with space to spare for some milk, butter, bacon etc. You need to be a little careful in terms of what you keep cool, but adequate for essentials. I think it is a good compromise between interior space required, and volume.

Value - pretty expensive, I paid a whisker under £300, but it does work as advertised, and is easily portable, should you wish to use it in another car as well.

Overall - recommended without hesitation (if it fits your budget)

7159691663_a7906e72db_c.jpg

7344901774_7e43ccaa6d.jpg

7344905096_c6414f2459.jpg

Thanks for info, particularly on the mains adaptor. The VW one is twice the price ! :thumb

Re the optional 32litre warm/cool box, my leisure battery (80A) lasted for around 30 hours, which is a bit longer than I expected given my maths. I also ran the night heater for two hours and used some power for lights etc so lost some power with this. It did get a kickstart from a long journey and some ice blocks...I don't know if this helps.

Back