Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW confirms plans for ID California electric camper van

You must live in the South East or a big city.

5 minutes to fill with Diesel for a 500 mile range. How long to charge an EV for a 200 mile range? An hour or so?

So you need 12 charging points for every Fuel pump or it could take a lot longer than 1 hr to charge.

You run out of diesel, it’s a trip to the local garage and a 5 litre can, or a tow to the garage.

Run out of battery, wait for a low loader.

Holidays in an EV camper are not going to be the stress free, leisure trips they are now. They will be quit limited in distance for many years to come.
I'll wait for the H2 fuel cell version. Just a matter of time.

You must live in the South East or a big city.

5 minutes to fill with Diesel for a 500 mile range. How long to charge an EV for a 200 mile range? An hour or so?

So you need 12 charging points for every Fuel pump or it could take a lot longer than 1 hr to charge.

You run out of diesel, it’s a trip to the local garage and a 5 litre can, or a tow to the garage.

Run out of battery, wait for a low loader.

Holidays in an EV camper are not going to be the stress free, leisure trips they are now. They will be quit limited in distance for many years to come.
We live in South East but travel to Bristol & Wales on a regular basis to visit family.

Last ‘motorway’ fill up near Reading was 20mins to fill our EV to approx 330miles. Cost approx £20; 500 miles in the Cali costs just over £100….so happy to wait 15mins extra to have £80 in our pocket.

New charging points are being added all the time, but car manufacturers need to contribute more towards fast charging infrastructure if they want people to buy their EV’s. Rather than just sticking a few slow ‘free’ chargers in supermarket car parks.

We live in South East but travel to Bristol & Wales on a regular basis to visit family.

Last ‘motorway’ fill up near Reading was 20mins to fill our EV to approx 330miles. Cost approx £20; 500 miles in the Cali costs just over £100….so happy to wait 15mins extra to have £80 in our pocket.

New charging points are being added all the time, but car manufacturers need to contribute more towards fast charging infrastructure if they want people to buy their EV’s. Rather than just sticking a few slow ‘free’ chargers in supermarket car parks.
So you can get 330 miles range, fully loaded, lights on, AirCon and heating, windscreen wipers heading westwards into a westerly gale, in winter? Or is it a little less.
My brother in law gave his Tesla back because it wouldn’t cope with a trip in the above conditions back fromLondon, without recharging at least twice e route.

But you wouldn’t expect to arrive at a campsite in a diesel van running on fumes and then expect the site to have a line of on site fuel pumps to refill, so why would you expect such a facility for an EV.? Just plug into a fast charging station that’s local to the campsite instead.
I see no relevance to discussion.

Don't forget that currently it is almost 70,000 miles for an EV Carbon production to better an equivalent Fossil Fuelled vehicle (including production processes)

So you can get 330 miles range, fully loaded, lights on, AirCon and heating, windscreen wipers heading westwards into a westerly gale, in winter? Or is it a little less.
My brother in law gave his Tesla back because it wouldn’t cope with a trip in the above conditions back fromLondon, without recharging at least twice e route.
Family Member had similar experience on what on paper was an easily covered trip on one charge but had to stop for recharge at 70% point of trip.

Don't forget that currently it is almost 70,000 miles for an EV Carbon production to better an equivalent Fossil Fuelled vehicle (including production processes)

This is not true, but since that figure keeps popping up here,

chart.png

Here is an article from 2020, which if read with attention says 31,000 to 50,000 miles, depending on the source of energy, but since then UK has become one of the countries which have wind power as their largest source of electricity:

'

Last edited:
I note that there is no mention of the Total Environmental Impact, in the round, of EV and IC vehicles over their lifetime. Just CO2.

So, everyone has their own idea and this is mine: Why do so many think that the electric campervan is coming soon? They think rather negatively about the technology of now and the current figures, while that electric vw campervan will not arrive in the second half of this decade at the earliest, it is now early February 2022… It will be on the longer wheelbase of the ID Cargo and that one is not yet built. It will present certainly other figures than the electric transporter attempts of today. It could be an interesting vehicle. I also read almost exclusively positive experiences from people who already drive electric.
In any case, I'm looking forward to an electric California and it may also look like the ID Buzz to me. I like the look.

My reason for thinking electric vehicles are coming soon is pragmatic: manufacturers don't care about the environment, but they certainly do care that, except for the battery, they are SO MUCH CHEAPER TO MAKE! No transmission, fuel pump, high pressure fuel injection system, water pump, oil pump, valve train, EGR, DPF, catalytic converter, turbo, exhaust system, etc., etc., etc...so much cheaper in fact that if they can solve the battery issue, they know they will make a killing selling a vehicle which is much cheaper to produce at sky high electric "premium" prices. They are highly motivated.

My reason for thinking electric vehicles are coming soon is pragmatic: manufacturers don't care about the environment, but they certainly do care that, except for the battery, they are SO MUCH CHEAPER TO MAKE! No transmission, fuel pump, high pressure fuel injection system, water pump, oil pump, valve train, EGR, DPF, catalytic converter, turbo, exhaust system, etc., etc., etc...so much cheaper in fact that if they can solve the battery issue, they know they will make a killing selling a vehicle which is much cheaper to produce at sky high electric "premium" prices. They are highly motivated.
The counter argument is that they are losing out on all those juicy, bloated service and spare parts charges. For example 6K for a locking rear diff is price gouging. DOn't think they aren't worried about their future income streams beyond the initial sale.

The counter argument is that they are losing out on all those juicy, bloated service and spare parts charges. For example 6K for a locking rear diff is price gouging. DOn't think they aren't worried about their future income streams beyond the initial sale.
True, but if one manufacturer solves the battery, no one will buy a fossil vehicle that requires that kind of maintenance. There will always be an elite group who make a hobby of running them...after all, there are still people who own horses.

may be what you and others think is so but I only wanted to show that the electric vw campervan is not yet for immediate and the figures of (especially the charging time and range) and arguments against such a vehicle will no longer count. I don’t mention environment and/or costs because I will not enter into this discussion and will only stick to the fact that the technology then will not be that of today, so that one does not have to see the current as a reference; it will be better.

Last edited:

Make hay while the sun shines.

Make hay while the sun shines.

I can't think of anyone who has an EV who hasn't been mainly motivated by the 'cheap' to run prospect rather than the Environmental factor.
It'll be interesting to see the response to the obvious need for Tax Income to replace VED & Fuel Duties as EV road users come into line with others.

As has also been mentioned "Cheaper servicing costs " but the manufacturers will recoup their servicing revenue by other means. Such as Tesla charging upto 24,000$ for a replacement battery when the coolant leak could be repaired insitu for 700$ . For those who have an EV via PCP or Company Leasing deal, not a problem but when you own and have paid for an EV to do the right thing then you get stung.

Have a look at some of the other Richie Rebuild videos.

Does anyone have thoughts about how the auxiliary heater or stove would work? I just don't see them running off the main batteries when off grid.

As has also been mentioned "Cheaper servicing costs " but the manufacturers will recoup their servicing revenue by other means. Such as Tesla charging upto 24,000$ for a replacement battery when the coolant leak could be repaired insitu for 700$ . For those who have an EV via PCP or Company Leasing deal, not a problem but when you own and have paid for an EV to do the right thing then you get stung.

Have a look at some of the other Richie Rebuild videos.
We leased for that reason & have no interest in owning an EV at the moment as battery technology moves on so fast. Hence happy to just pay the depreciation; But will keep our old Beach and enjoy the best of both worlds.

All cars have issues. Ie - How much was a replacement engine for the handful of people needing a new 180 twin turbo engine versus the new sales price of the vehicle, all caused by VW fitting a sub standard EGR which dropped metal particles into the engine.

Does anyone have thoughts about how the auxiliary heater or stove would work? I just don't see them running off the main batteries when off grid.

I think its easier to achieve short term in a Beach style camper.

Electric Heater could run off the battery. Cooking from a kitchen pod with small disposable canisters to keep the weight down. Solar panel on the roof to give small amount of charging for phones etc, but obviously not enough charge for driving.

:D They will have a solution for that by the end of this decade; I wouldn't worry about that right now, we're not there yet; still a long way to go to the release of the electric california;)

We leased for that reason & have no interest in owning an EV at the moment as battery technology moves on so fast. Hence happy to just pay the depreciation; But will keep our old Beach and enjoy the best of both worlds.

All cars have issues. Ie - How much was a replacement engine for the handful of people needing a new 180 twin turbo engine versus the new sales price of the vehicle, all caused by VW fitting a sub standard EGR which dropped metal particles into the engine.
£7- 10,000 a little cheaper than 24000$

Incorrect as regards the EGR. There are other factors involved. 106,000 miles on a 2014 EGR. Oil consumption 250mls/20,000 miles. If it was just the EGRs that are at fault I’d be on my 2nd engine by now, if not 3rd.

Back