Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Valuing a California

M

mullitman

VIP Member
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have joined as I will be buying a used California sometime after July this year. After doing some research I am now at the point where i feel unable to get the pricing of these vans straight in my mind. There are so many variations available, from model and engine choice to optional factory fitted extras that my judgement has become cloudy to say the least!

It feels more like a house buying experience, where you cant compare like for like.
With used prices varying so much i was wondering if there are any guidelines out there as to prices as whilst I'm more than happy to pay the going rate, it's clearly becoming increasingly more difficult for me to think clearly when deciding to part with the cash.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The best thing to do is have a look in the 'for sale' section as we keep a record of most of the Cali's that have previously sold, this will give you a rough idea. But as you say it is similar to buying a house where there is no fixed price as and the values you will see in Parkers and Glass's are totally meaningless. Also prices do vary quite alot depending on the time of year they are sold.

Cheers

Martin

I think with stuff like this, you can spend ages waiting for exactly the right thing at exactly the right price; and never end up buying one!

Depending on how long you plan to keep it, variations in cost can be ignored to a degree - if it is a long term purchase, does it matter if you pay slightly more really? The real value in a vehicle like this is in its use..

Buy one and then never look at the prices of other ones!!

I would try to get hold of some brochures from the dealers and then try to get an understanding of what the specifications were when the van you are looking at was built. I'm not 100% without checking but I think we may have PDF's of old brochures in the VIP section for download.

For me I don't tend to sruggle buying cars etc, especially from the VAG range but I've recently started to look at buying a new washing machine and that's got me beat at the moment!! :laugh2

Snap. Vacuum cleaners. Too much choice.

Just buy and enjoy, life is too short to shop around, we did this last year and missed the entire summer season

lonsdale13 said:
Just buy and enjoy, life is too short to shop around, we did this last year and missed the entire summer season

all 3 days of it? :laugh2

mullitman, I think you have hit the nail on the head, there are so many (sometimes subtle) variations before accounting for condition and mileage it is difficult if not impossible to determine a vehicle's value from the spec sheet. I think the important questions are: What are your must haves, your really like to haves, your would prefers, and so on, then how much are you willing to spend. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is then to get as many of the things you want/need on a vehicle that is a price you are willing to pay.

IMO The base spec 140 SE with no options isn't a million miles away from what most people need. Everything else comes down to how much you WANT. People will say that some stuff is 'MUST HAVE' but actually, I think very little is! (I don't think I will ever understand why some of the 'options' aren't standard on a vehicle of this value but it is in the horrible middle ground of not a car, not a motorhome, where spec is now generous and poor respectively versus cost)

I must say that I agree with Dibz here. For me the DSG was a must have. But I drove a manual as a courtesy van and found it fine.

I struggled with this too before buying so I tried to weigh up options vs age etc.

I think you're best bet is, as someone else suggested, look at the ones for sale and see if you can find out real sale and sold prices.

Then compare maybe with new list prices minus any discount you think you could negotiate.

I started a thread called how much to pay but didn't get much real information. I think a nice idea for some sticky information might be a doc with what spec people have and what they paid, all anonymous maybe?

If anyone is interested i could look at setting that up as an online doc...

Dibz said:
lonsdale13 said:

all 3 days of it? :laugh2

mullitman, I think you have hit the nail on the head, there are so many (sometimes subtle) variations before accounting for condition and mileage it is difficult if not impossible to determine a vehicle's value from the spec sheet. I think the important questions are: What are your must haves, your really like to haves, your would prefers, and so on, then how much are you willing to spend. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is then to get as many of the things you want/need on a vehicle that is a price you are willing to pay.

IMO The base spec 140 SE with no options isn't a million miles away from what most people need. Everything else comes down to how much you WANT. People will say that some stuff is 'MUST HAVE' but actually, I think very little is! (I don't think I will ever understand why some of the 'options' aren't standard on a vehicle of this value but it is in the horrible middle ground of not a car, not a motorhome, where spec is now generous and poor respectively versus cost)

UK Calis are a like a 'greatest hits' of things available in European markets. VW has made a choice to include certain things as standard. British car buying culture is also such that they expect more equipment.

Something's are wise to have for resale but much is personal choice I don't actually think there are that many options.

Buying a Cali in Europe is different because the vehicle itself can be more personalised.

Cali prices vary, the Berg sold here recently was something of a steal. It just depends, people will ask more for high spec vehicle but often that is their interpretation of what high spec is.

James

lonsdale13 said:

Good call Lonsdale :)

Thanks ever so much for the response to my quandry. Some wise words have been said and I now feel better equipped for a couple of months of preparation prior to the funds hitting my account in July.
The Doc idea from Jonesey is a great plan be interested to see if it takes off, but the general feel from the threads has been to just get on with it instead of contemplating thinking about thinking about it........
I also like the one liner from Californiaman, who said, 'Just buy one and never look at the prices of other ones'. had me proper laughing at that one, such a simple statement but totally true! :laugh2