Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a new California SE :)

Bluestone

Bluestone

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi

I've decided to finally buy a California SE for the first time - been wanting to for ages and after spending a couple of years working abroad now is the time :)

So I looked through the forums with regard to the new T6 and whether it's worth waiting for it, I probably won't, purely for the reason that I would like to get use out of one now rather than wait. If I already owned one then it might be a case of waiting.

There were a couple of interesting points I picked up on though from reading through the threads

I went to see a dealer who told me that the current California is no longer made or available to order - it's a case of buying what's out there - is this true? There was talk of ordering one before the end of May?

Secondly I noticed that a few owners got a big discount (one mentioned list price of circa £55K and getting it for £44K!!) Can someone please tell me where and how? Is this on a brand new vehicle or demo?

Last thing I want to do is pay full list then realise that I could've saved a chunk of money!!

All help would be appreciated :)

Really looking forward to getting one now - I looked at a pre-owned Porsche 911 GTS instead but I'm more excited about getting a California - I think that says it all!!

Many thanks

Paul

Try here for some ideas. They trawl the Dealers that have your model and spec or close to it. Discounts might be difficult due to demand as there will be no new Californias until the T6 varient is announced and the order book opened. Have Fun.
https://www.drivethedeal.com

Hi Paul, don't forget to have a look at the for sale section on here, we have had about five Cali's added in the last week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Welshgas, having a look through :) and thank you Martin, but I was looking to purchase new as I would like to get the spec I want - although if one comes up second hand with the spec I'm looking for of course I'll consider it :)

And everyone, really sorry for the spelling errors in the title (how embarrassing!!)

So 'Buying' and 'California' ;) Just to let everyone know I can spell and maybe I should type a bit slower!!

Hi Bluestone, order books for the t5 Cali closed at the end of Feb this year. I think your best bet might be to ring round the dealers to see if anyone has pre ordered one with your spec, but not actually assigned it to a customer yet.

HI RedCali, thanks for that, at least I know the salesman was not talking BS when he told me (nice to know :) ) actually this dealer did have pretty well exactly the spec I was looking for - maybe apart from the colour but that's a minor thing ;) I'm after a 180 SE (not 4motion as I'll hardly ever need it and snow chains are plenty good enough for the Alps :) ) with pretty well all the bits :)

Now it's just down to negotiating the price :)

Fingers crossed for the price. Don't know if you've found it but on here there are quite a lot of dealer reviews which might reassure you.

We have one on order at the moment. (From SMG) The last few around will be found at dealers who have pre-empted the close of the T5 line, and placed a number of orders earlier in the year to cover their supply until the next model is released. Once they go past a certain point in manufacture, they can no longer change the spec of these. And once they've run out, that's it.

The T6 is bound to have a few more refinements, but also comes with a new requirement to add an additive into a seperate tank to bring it up to diesel emissions levels. This will all cost more, I expect, and I doubt that MPG will improve that much to balance it out.
I also doubt that the new model will include a more comfortable bed, or waterproof/insulated toppers, which most people have to buy as expensive extras. I think the quirks are set in stone with this machine!

A lot of people here, and holiday companies etc will probably upgrade to the new one when it happens, so there will be more second hand ones about when that finally kicks in, and the supply will reduce the price of those a bit if you want to wait and save money.
Until then, you would be advised to quickly make a few calls to the main dealers to see if they have anything at all left on their order books. Discounts of about 10%-12% were possible with Drive The Deal a while back I believe, but they have stopped listing this model now. We got about 7% off the list price, and I think that was lucky. The demand is so high. These things sell themselves. If you want a "good deal" for the next year, you probably need to go for a used one.
When we ordered ours, they had about 20 left, and 2 sold on the same day we were there!. That was about a month ago. Ours won't be here for another 8 weeks as it is!!

Good luck with your quest. It's worth it whatever you do, as everyone here will agree.

Thanks guys, well I've now got a choice, there are quite a few demo's about with the spec I want (well when I say quite a few, I mean half a dozen at most!!), so I have a choice, wait for the T6 or go for an demo vehicle or a new order which is in the books, I've got Robinsons of Norwich (probably the closest dealer to me who do the California) on the case and they are hopefully going to come up with some options. I guess I'm just a little nervous about paying list just due to supply and demand when others have got a discount - so maybe a demo vehicle close to the spec I want might be the best bet.

It's very annoying as just when I am going to buy one, I seem to be in limbo between the T5 and T6!!

and don't worry rookeryview, I'm sold on the idea and now of course really want one - just when it's probably the most difficult time to get one!!

Another option might be to get a two year old one and then upgrade it the T6 when they become available - or say in another year when the 'bugs' get sorted as has been suggested.

I'm now determined not to give in and go and buy a Golf R instead - so I really appreciate all the advice and what an awesome forum this is :)

I think the spirit of the VW Camper lives on after all this time - looking forward to being a bona fide member ;)

According to the dealer (and he's right really) I'm buying at the wrong time as it's a summer seasonal thing, so they order in stock anticipating the popular options. I've just come back from living 2 years in Norway and don't really want to wait another year :(

Yes, we were caught up in the end of model turmoil, such that it is. The truth is, we have made the right decision to lead the lifestyle. A few quid won't change your mind. A worrying, but true statistic, is that unless you buy your lottery ticket in the last hour before the week's draw closes, you are more likely to die, than win!
If you are investing this sum of money, the best way to get value for money, is to do it now, and use it as much as you can. Then you have little to worry about; you've done your best, and enjoyed it to the max.
Those waiting for the T6 will be a tiny bit luckier, but only until the T7 comes out. I've been waiting all my life for the hover car, and it's still nowhere to be seen outside of Hollywood, despite promises that it would arrive before the end of last Century....

Live the dream!

R

I've been waiting all my life for the hover ca
Awesome - quote of the day :)

Thanks, yes just a case of finding one now - I've got the weekend to look forward to as I'm renting a new one - I know it's going to make me want one more, but really looking forward to having one for the weekend :)

I've put some feelers out and hopefully I'll be in one soon - I'm prepared to be flexible with the spec - there seem to be a few 180 PS 4motion ones about - didn't really want 4motion, but I'm not going to quibble over having one. Yes it's a big investment and I really will enjoy it. I drove down to Milan the other week in my Golf and thought how good it would be to do the journey in a California - next time (fingers crossed), I'll be the proud owner of one :)

Again thanks everyone for the responses :)

Awesome - quote of the day :)

Thanks, yes just a case of finding one now - I've got the weekend to look forward to as I'm renting a new one - I know it's going to make me want one more, but really looking forward to having one for the weekend :)

I've put some feelers out and hopefully I'll be in one soon - I'm prepared to be flexible with the spec - there seem to be a few 180 PS 4motion ones about - didn't really want 4motion, but I'm not going to quibble over having one. Yes it's a big investment and I really will enjoy it. I drove down to Milan the other week in my Golf and thought how good it would be to do the journey in a California - next time (fingers crossed), I'll be the proud owner of one :)

Again thanks everyone for the responses :)

Only note with 4Motion is that MPG will be hit, if you're comparing it with the T6 and MPG is important then the gap is going to be bigger.

Personally, I don't think you'll lose too much on a buying 2nd hand one now if you want to 'upgrade' to the T6 in a year of so. The discounts (DriveTheDeal) on the T6 in a years time will probably outweigh the financial loss of selling the T5.

HI RedCali, thanks for that, at least I know the salesman was not talking BS when he told me (nice to know :) ) actually this dealer did have pretty well exactly the spec I was looking for - maybe apart from the colour but that's a minor thing ;) I'm after a 180 SE (not 4motion as I'll hardly ever need it and snow chains are plenty good enough for the Alps :) ) with pretty well all the bits :)

Now it's just down to negotiating the price :)

Yes, you will hardly ever use 4motion ...

Until you get a Cali. Then your anticipated lifestyle starts a gradual, but for many, unavoidable, shift.

That lovely beach that you have just passed, you always dreamed of waking up to the sound of the sea... sand is a bit soft but ....

Those woods that you have just passed, to wake up to birdsong and dappled sunshine ... ok, a bit muddy ...

the awesome mountain view ... although it might just snow tonight ... so what ...

That lovely little pub with the muddy car park ... rained a bit during the night ...

You may never want to go snow ploughing or mud plugging, you may want that extra bit of reassurance that unlocks so many doors to get to places that makes owning a Cali so special.

Beautifully put Jen.
So poetic that I want mine even more now!
Luckily, ordered 4M at 11th hour. Great decision. Phew...

Of course, 4WD will be replaced by Hover Motion by the time the T10 arrives:rolleyes:

It's odd I always liked the idea of 4motion (goes back to my loved Landy that I still have I guess :) ) but when I was in the Alps in Feb, I rented a Nissan SUV thing - which I thought was 4x4 but turned out to be....well useless....sorry I mean 2 wheel drive, it did get stuck once (I found a parking space and had to negotiate a bank of hard pack ice), but just put snow chains on it to get out, then snow chains off and away I went. There was a lot of snow in Chamonix that week and in reality I didn't need either 4x4 or even snow chains (apart from that one time), I'm thinking about running costs now, but I'm not going to turn down a 4motion if it has all the other bits I would like.

OF course having 4motion does give that nice peace of mind and (from my Landy experiences) shouldn't even get stuck - it's the ground clearance that will go first, but if you're 'off-roading' I suggest a good old Land Rover (and no mine isn't for sale! ;) )

I'm getting very excited now as I leave this afternoon to pick up the one I've rented for the weekend - I have a feeling I'll need sedating then when I finally pick up one that's going to be mine!! ;)

Yes, you will hardly ever use 4motion ...

Until you get a Cali. Then your anticipated lifestyle starts a gradual, but for many, unavoidable, shift.

That lovely beach that you have just passed, you always dreamed of waking up to the sound of the sea... sand is a bit soft but ....

Those woods that you have just passed, to wake up to birdsong and dappled sunshine ... ok, a bit muddy ...

the awesome mountain view ... although it might just snow tonight ... so what ...

That lovely little pub with the muddy car park ... rained a bit during the night ...

You may never want to go snow ploughing or mud plugging, you may want that extra bit of reassurance that unlocks so many doors to get to places that makes owning a Cali so special.
We bought a 4motion in Norwich where they are demand due to the mud. On the second campsite we visited in Holland we danced over the mud while all the others sank and needed towing out. Granny Jen is so right.

Up until two weeks ago I had winter tyres on and snow socks in the boot for "just in case" .... and I do admit to being rather wilful when it comes to entering into the spirit of adventure.

However nothing beats Hartland point last year. A totally innocuous start... a lane leading off to the left and according to google maps and my I-Pad rejoined the main road in two miles. Well, if a lane shouts "only wide enough for a Cali, no caravans or white boxes please" ... then the urge is irresistible.

The tarmac ran out after half a mile. So did places to turn round in. The reality of the wettest West Country winter in decades soon started to hit home. The last mile was an a wing, a prayer and Wolfsburg designed 4WD. I emerged on to that main road with white face, white knuckles and palpitations that sounded like a big band drum roll. The Cali was faultless. Sure-footed for every painful yard of broken, muddy surface.

It also released a whole shedload of inhibitions. I go flying off now down tracks everywhere, sadly to the detriment of two of my tyres on a Wester Ross mountain road this winter, but the spirit of freedom simply cannot be ignored.

Well done GrannyJen, from the Gassy one.
Also I've feel that the 4Motion seems more planted on the road, being pulled from the front and pushed from the back. Just my personal view.:thumb

Hi all we are definitely wanting a t6 we decided to wait as we didn't want to buy the t5 Cali and then 6 months after the t6 is out lose a lot of money selling the t5 to buy a t6 we obviously have give it a lot of thought and we have decided to wait as we think the t6 although the main structure body is the same everything else is changed electronics engine styling and can't wait to see the mods inside yes so thought it would be best to be patient as we don't want to lose money by being hasty and buying t5 now then wanting the t6 as its a big decision to spend this amount of money
Anyone have the release date of the t6 cali

I've got Robinsons of Norwich (probably the closest dealer to me who do the California) on the case and they are hopefully going to come up with some options.

We may have been unlucky but I gave up with Norwich VW trying to source a Beach for us so don't waste too much time waiting for them to call. Might be worth trying Bury St Edmunds. Although we haven't dealt with their sales team, if the excellent communcation and customer service we have received from the servicing department is anything to go by then I'd recommend contacting them. Good luck with your search.

Good luck, you will enjoy your Cali whatever you get (despite what others say 4WD is not an essential to getting the most out of your Cali.... We also 'do adventurous' without it....;)

Ps John Clarke at Bury St Edmunds VW was excellent when we bought ours....

I would recommend John Clarke at Bury St Edmunds too - he was excellent throughout my ordering process and knows the Calis well. Good luck!
Maud

We are going to try Manchester or Liverpool van centres have been looking on the California vehicles for sale pages on a few websites and they seem much cheaper in price than they were around January a friend of ours just picked up a 62 reg California de for 32thousand low miles to we are still set with waiting for the t6 though