Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

V5 Categorization

mike5im5

mike5im5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All,

Had a quick search but results didn't full answer my question so hope someone can help me. Just bought my first VW California Beach (2019 MY).

When searching I used the DVLA licence checker and assumed road tax would be in the ~£260 based on some of the results I got back from cars I looked at?

However, when I taxed mine this morning, it was nearly double that. I notice it's categorised in the V5 as a "Diesel Car" with 7 seats (even though I have the 5 seater). I rung the dealer where the car was first registered and he confirmed I should be paying the higher amount for 5 years (due to luxury tax) then it drops to 150PA.

So is this the correct category? How come it varied from vehicle to vehicle even though that are basically the same body style/engine? Could some be incorrectly registered (I'm sure our friends told us their Ocean of a similar age was around ~£260/270 to tax).

Thanks all! This looks like a great forum (already got a good insurance deal through Comfort with club discount).

Mike

You will find a lot of comments in various threads on ths topic but what your dealer told you is broadly correct.

My Cali was new in JUly 2019.
V5 document says:-
Model = California Ocean TDI BMT
Body Type = MPV
Taxation Class = Diesel
Vehicle Category = M1

You might find this Gov link useful.

You should have a look at this thread ref changing rules for new Calis (I think after March 12th 20202).
PS Your Avatar says "looking to buy". Completing this with your actual vehical type will help folks more acurately answer your questions. :embarrased

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll update that now (only stopped looking less that 24 hours ago :thumb).

So looks like I'm paying the higher rate.. but if it's a long term keeper.. which I hope it is.. will be more reasonable after (unless the gov decide to punish us diesel polluters more! :oops:).

the revised and much reduced rate applies to new vehicles only purchased on or after12th March! new legislation allows the vehicle to be registered as a Light goods vehicle rather than the much higher rated 'diesel car' class. I am currently contesting due to buying new after that date and VW failing to register as LGV which allowed now. I think change came about after much lobbying of gov from motorhome bodies/makers.

Sadly I think you ( @mike5im5 ) are right. Long term keeper? More than six years before you get benefit. i.e. Not before 2025. :(

the revised and much reduced rate applies to new vehicles only purchased on or after12th March! new legislation allows the vehicle to be registered as a Light goods vehicle rather than the much higher rated 'diesel car' class. I am currently contesting due to buying new after that date and VW failing to register as LGV which allowed now. I think change came about after much lobbying of gov from motorhome bodies/makers.
The New v Old rates are a massive difference. With such a difference I guess there is no chance of a rebate! Oh well I'll be keeping mine for a while yet.
P.S. Arrrrg! Tax renewal just landed on the mat just five minutes ago! £475. How about that as a coincidence!!!

What I find puzzling is the GOV web site appears not to reflect this new arrangement.

Back