Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California - Kitchen options & Tax

MKRW

MKRW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
As a Full California SE owner I've just gone through my first MOT, with the Cali now 3 years old I got a letter about thinking to upgrade to new and so keeping a lot of the benefits / cover of a new vehicle.

Since buying I've been torn between Full Cali or Beach. As we have a family of 5 and have to drive the Cali with a 5th seat.

The reasons for not going Beach were:
Max 140 engine. I like the extra power of 180 and the Road tax.

Seeing on a post earlier around the sale of a kitchen POD unit, in France offering a lower tax rate, it got me thinking. If ordering a Cali Beach from new with a kitchen POD installed could the Beach be fully classified as a camper and therefore registered for the same tax as a full Motor Home?

Very interested as if it could I might consider changing to a Beach.......

You can not change the tax it goes on vehicle emissions I have read a lot about this on the t5 forum people think by registering it as a camper makes the tax cheaper. All it does is make the insuransce cheaper.

Yes, the rules changed on the 1st august 2013 from memory. Before then you paid road tax as a van (~£215, flat rate), now you pay as a car. Makes a reasonable difference on 180 4 motion DSG...

Tax just paid on the Cali SE 180 was £230.... (as a motorhome I think, but may be wrong?)

Could it not be the same for a Cali Beach if the Beach were to be registered at time of purchase (with a kitchen) as a motor home? Or am i missing new rules?

So does this mean the 180 dsg auto 4motion is £485 against a180 dsg auto being £285, seems a big difference to me.

180 DSG 4Motion tax is £285pa
Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 12.59.16.jpg

There is a benefit of having a manual 180 then!

Sorry, you pay the extra for the 4Motion, not the DSG.

The road tax on our Cali dsg 4motion 180 (to be...) is £285 for 12 months on the bill.

I think you are right, the bluemotion tech takes the emissions below 225 and the older 4motions without bluemotion tech are above 225

I am still a bit confused by the new registration VED in the price list.

Is the new registration VED 1st year different to what you will pay in future years? The 180 PS (&DSG) is £485 and the 180 PS 4 Motion (&DSG) is £635! What is it now for year 2?

Correct MKRW. 1st year rate £635, 2nd year rate £285.

Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 08.14.41.jpg

Back