Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

uprated battery

Grey one

Grey one

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Can anyone explain the value of an uprated battery in practical terms. It's a low cost option at £35 so what exactly does it do?

Leisure or Engine?

I presume you mean the Leisure Battery.
I also presume you are referring to a T6 California Beach.
The Beach only has 1 Leisure Battery so I presume this option relates to a larger capacity Leisure Battery, meaning you can run more 12v electrical items for longer without having to connect a Mains Charger or run the Engine to recharge the battery.
If my presumptions are incorrect then I'm sorry but that's the best I can do with the information given.:thumb

As you were kind enough to respond, I have just seen that the uprated leisure battery increases the Amps to 450 and is for manual only. Not sure by how much that is an increase from the standard manual. The DSG version has 420A as standard and can't be upgraded. I can see me getting a little anorackish in the near future!

Look for the amp hour (a/h) rating, that will be more useful with regards to estimating the capacity and how much use you will get from it.

To give you an idea on my 80a/h battery I can run my fridge for 2 or 3 days, as well as lights etc and charging the odd phone.

If you plan to use campsites with hookup, then the extra battery is probably of limited value, but if you plan to wild camp, or camp off grid then it will extend your time without starting the engine etc.
There are a few threads (with solar themes) that talk about calculating your battery requirements may be worth having a look there too. Whilst on that subject adding a solar panel could with the right setup eliminate the need for an extra battery anyway in the sunny months.

New to site so this is like having my own mechanic! It's 95Ah so I should be able to run a fridge. This gets me into words I have heard like 'compressor' fridge. But I won't take your time now. Thanks again.

Compressor fridges are generally the most efficient for 12v use, depending on which one you have and the temperature will influence how much use you will get.

My Cf40 compressor fridge lasts a few days easily on 12v, when on hookup I just run it from mains.

Can anyone explain the value of an uprated battery in practical terms. It's a low cost option at £35 so what exactly does it do?
read also
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/uprated-alternator-and-battery.11498/
Uprated Alternator and Battery
I think you mean the option for 'stronger battery' in cali pricelist (NY2) ?
It is indeed not clear from pricelist if this is leisure or engine battery and depending on other options you choose (heated windscreen) it can or cannot be combined with higher power alternator (because it is already included with the other option) . I have the option on my t6 ocean and it is a stronger engine battery . Standard battery is 420A 75Ah, the stronger battery is 450A 75Ah : capacity is the same but it can deliver higher peak current. This is why they say 'stronger' not 'higher capacity' and this is why it is a relative cheap option for our cali. Correction: according to actual car configurator standard battery is 380A 68Ah, the uprate however is not specified, I have bought the uprate and got 420A 75Ah.

Last edited:
Many thanks. My order form calls NY2 an uprated battery. Uprated to 450A but shown as 95Ah not your 75Ah. I was erring towards it being leisure but you may well be right as NY2 is NY2! And if yours is an engine battery it's difficult to see how mine won't be. Thanks.

Many thanks. My order form calls NY2 an uprated battery. Uprated to 450A but shown as 95Ah not your 75Ah. I was erring towards it being leisure but you may well be right as NY2 is NY2! And if yours is an engine battery it's difficult to see how mine won't be. Thanks.
I will check this with my dealer , maybe I didn't get what I paid for ?

checked it again in car configurator as it is online today, in Belgium and UK.
the standard vehicle battery (engine battery) is 380A 68Ah
I ordered the NY2 uprated battery (oct 2015, delivered feb 2016, 150HP ocean 4motion manual) and got 420A 75Ah battery. On my order form NY2 was not described in detail (no mention of A and Ah).
I can't find the battery uprate option in the UK configurator but the standard battery is still 380A 68Ah.
I'm convinced the uprate is for the engine compartement battery but looking forward to see what exact battery you'l get for the uprate.

Last edited:
Back