Upholstery protection query?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I know I could fit seat covers from new but as there are only the 2 of us and I intend keeping the California for some years I will fit covers when needed but is there any fabric protection sprays that members can recommend to prolong the look of the original seats and protect them ? :thanks

Get the covers ASAP. Even the merest splash of rain as you open the drivers door can cause nasty stains. You have been warned!
Zebedee :doh

I sprayed mine with Scotguard protector, bought 3 cans from Homebase and did two coats on the areas most likely to get sat on,.

Thanks for the advice "vedubya".

For "Zebedee", I hear what you say, but I really don't get this " Seat Cover " bit from new. Who are you keeping the original seat covers in pristine condition for? Mine will be an everyday drive as well as lots of foreign holidays and expeditions , not a once a year holiday vehicle, and once the seat covers lose they colour etc: then I'll get them recovered. Cost the same in the end.

I've never had covers on ours but despite our best efforts with blankets etc we always manage to get something ground into the seats be it cheese, chocolate or whatever.
As mentioned above they're incredibly difficult to clean without leaving watermarks so covers would be a good idea.
I've just never been able to decide what to go for - brandrup are too expensive and I don't think I can get them for mine anymore anyway, and the inka ones look too commercial for a cali to me (I have something similar in my work van so don't want them in the cali as well) and if they're not breathable they can be unpleasant to sit on for long periods.

What I'd really like is to get them retrimmed in leather but just can't justify the expense for how often we use it.

Inca are making second skin covers don't know the price yet :thumb

I had my new 2012 Cali one month and bought the Brandrup covers for front and rear , not cheap , about 600 euro all together ....
I have a dog and wil not take the risk , as the the fact of " who are you coverd them for..."
For protecting the seat to wear and get stainden offcorse!
You can't take the original of and put them in the wasmachine...cleaning with sprays,...ok but not the same.
On a 50.000euro car you don' t count the xtra 600euro.... :doh
My opinion.
Saw many covers at COTF , non of them came even cloce to the Brandrup ones as to matching color and good fitting (if i dont' tell them people dont' see that the seat is coverd :D

Astonish Upholstery and Carpet cleaner is indeed astonishing and gets marks from water to wine off! You usually have to cover a larger area than the actual mark - say continue to edge of seat or a seam. Read instructions very carefully and maybe practise on bit of carpet first at home. We travel with some and a sponge and it stops the worrying. Our van is two years old and the upholstery looks new.

Thanks Celia & Edward.

Ditto the above.

I have covers and hate them.

After many red wine and ketchup accidents I bit the bullet and had leather fitted. It cost about a grand but problem solved, van looks great and I bet it has add the same value to the resale price!

That's it then. I'm buying the California for me, not the next owner, if there is one. So covers when I want to spruce up the upholstery, Scotchguard, and cleaning spray as and when. Leather seats maybe for some but I find them too hot and sticky and I've yelped in pain a few times in hot and sunny weather when wearing shorts!
Also had a caravan for over 20yrs, with a family of 4 boys and 1 daughter and never had a problem with the upholstery requiring covers etc; So that's one thing off my buying list for now.

We've had our Cali from new and it will be 4 in September - we've not had covers on but did get the seats treated Autoglym product before we took delivery. Our upholstery looks pretty good - it does get watermarked, but that's easily dealt with by going over the whole affected panel with a damp/wet cloth. Other marks have also come off using the same method. We do have a rug on the back seat for protection against cooking spills n splashes. I'm really with you WelshGas (great name!).

..... though I might think differently if our van was regularly populated by small children!

Thank you IanE. Agree about children but our 5 have all flown the nest for good. Certainly no longer coming on holidays etc.

Back