Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Underslung water tank

E

Edsr

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have recently found ourselves getting off grid quite a bit and I’m making a water heater / pump setup that hangs off the near side awning rail and can run a shower, either by dropping a hose into the onboard tank thru the filler cap, or from a refillable container on the ground.
I’ve seen a few places selling T5/T6 tanks (70 lites) that wrap around the spare wheel under the van and wondered if these will fit a California.
Does anyone know for sure?

We have recently found ourselves getting off grid quite a bit and I’m making a water heater / pump setup that hangs off the near side awning rail and can run a shower, either by dropping a hose into the onboard tank thru the filler cap, or from a refillable container on the ground.
I’ve seen a few places selling T5/T6 tanks (70 lites) that wrap around the spare wheel under the van and wondered if these will fit a California.
Does anyone know for sure?
I can’t see there being a problem. That area is common across the Transporter range. You might have to lose some underbody plastic protection which is fitted on the higher spec vans and California. Also there is the weight to be taken into consideration and the Gas Locker dropout.

If you are you using your van all year round, you will have to take precautions against the water freezing.

This one looks OK for a 2WD but 4M rear diff would take up the space possibly.

I can’t see there being a problem. That area is common across the Transporter range. You might have to lose some underbody plastic protection which is fitted on the higher spec vans and California. Also there is the weight to be taken into consideration and the Gas Locker dropout.
Gas locker dropout you say… didn’t know there was such a thing but googling says it is a vent below the gas locker to allow any leaking gas to escape the locker. I’d been pondering whether I could use the water heater for hot water to save messing about with the kettle, but didn’t want to go drilling holes. There are some nice RV manifold flaps with quick connect valves (like on a cadac) you can use for water so had considered a flow/return and gas trio of connectors set into a flap in the rear wardrobe where I can just leave the boot open during the day and disconnect at night or leave the boot ajar with a spacer. But if there’s already a hole there, right next to the cold water tank… I’ll have another poke around under the van tomorrow.

This one looks OK for a 2WD but 4M rear diff would take up the space possibly.

Yeah that’s one of the two I’d looked at. Trouble is it needs a Cali expert to know for sure and the tanks are made to order so I can’t send it back if it doesn’t fit (distance selling regs don’t apply). Mines not a 4M so might be all good. A definitive answer still needed!

Gas locker dropout you say… didn’t know there was such a thing but googling says it is a vent below the gas locker to allow any leaking gas to escape the locker. I’d been pondering whether I could use the water heater for hot water to save messing about with the kettle, but didn’t want to go drilling holes. There are some nice RV manifold flaps with quick connect valves (like on a cadac) you can use for water so had considered a flow/return and gas trio of connectors set into a flap in the rear wardrobe where I can just leave the boot open during the day and disconnect at night or leave the boot ajar with a spacer. But if there’s already a hole there, right next to the cold water tank… I’ll have another poke around under the van tomorrow.
The Gas dropout is not next to the water tank, it’s intergral with the water tank.
Open the gas locker, remove the cylinder and you will see it at the bottom.

Last edited:
Coincidentally I’ve had this back from the tank seller (user ID: storage-tanks) on eBay that I messaged last week:

The tanks should fit any T5 / T5.1 / T6 / T6.1 as far as I'm aware it will fit the California unless anything has been put in that location but the standard van should be fine.

The underslung fitting kit includes: 1 x 1/2" BSP x 13mm hose tail, 2 x 1/2" BSP x 13mm 90° hosetail, PTFE tape

The Bracket kit just includes : 2x brackets

The complete kit includes: 2 x Brackets, 6 x Tek screws 5.5 x 25mm, 1 x M6 x 30mm A2 bolt, 1 x M6 x 25mm A2 Washer, 4 x M8 x 16mm A2 Socket Flange, 1 x 1/2" BSP x 13mm hose tail, 2 x 1/2" BSP x 13mm 90° hosetail, PTFE tape

Has anyone fitted one, and/or an under slung lpg tank? This is for a beach. I’d be fine with external access only.

Has anyone fitted one, and/or an under slung lpg tank? This is for a beach. I’d be fine with external access only.
We have an underslung LPG tank, goes in the space where the rear diff would be on a 4 motion. Very happy, easy and cheap to refill. Fill up point is situated just under the rear bumper. This is a conversion not a California.

Back